Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Temperamental SIM sensing microswitch? Admittedly I've only had about 10 phones since my first one some 20 years ago (including models I tried for a few days and didn't like; I tend to look after my things and use the ones I like for years rather than change them with fashion), but I have NEVER even heard about any such thing. Admittedly most phones need to remove the battery to replace the SIM, so sensing the card is part of the boot sequence, but there was one remarkable exception: Palm Treo 600 with a hotswappable SIM. Served me without a fail for 9 years. Cost new about a half of new Jolla.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
No problem here.

I checked that small trigger in my phone, and the sim card is quite far from getting pushed under it. I can't push the sim card down in its holder without fear of breaking the whole device, as so much power would have to be applied. There is maybe one quarter to half a millimeter to go until it would do so.

I'm in for the chance that there is variety in sim cards, or maybe sim trays. Mine sim card just barely fits in the tray, it is that thick.
Also there seems to be a very tiny gap in the card for the trigger to snap in.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
That's the thing though, even if there are variances in SIM thickness (and this is probably true) then that should be taken into account as part of the SIM slot design, it's not the fault of the Jolla phone owner if their network supplier issues "too-thin" SIM cards (which work perfectly with Apple, Samsung etc.) - what option does that leave the Jolla owner with? Switch networks and hopefully get a thicker SIM?

The fact is the SIM slot should work without fail with every SIM card, thick or thin.

Irrespective of the cause (too thin SIM card, flexing TOH), the slot should just work 100% reliably and we shouldn't be having this discussion. Unfortunately, it doesn't, and we are.

And still no word from Jolla...

Last edited by Milhouse; 2014-01-03 at 20:46.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Absolutely agree with you Milhouse.

I certainly wasn't trying to shift the blame on people with 'bad' SIM cards. Just trying to figure out why I propably had never even known about the problem without this thread. I'm just one the lucky ones, who thanks to combination of things 'clicking right' doesn't have this problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The fact is the SIM slot should work without fail with every SIM card, thick or thin.

Irrespective of the cause (too thin SIM card, flexing TOH), the slot should just work 100% reliably and we shouldn't be having this discussion. Unfortunately, it doesn't, and we are.
I had years ago problem with SIM-tray on Nokia E65. SIM was too thin (or maybe tray too loose). I put two layers of painte's tape to the back of the SIM. It worked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
No SIM problems here with both TOHs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
hmmm *maybe postponing purchase of Jolla*

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't have that issue either but I only have the white back side. Instead I've added a piece of paper under the battery because it seems to be an issue with the connection from time to time.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
but there was one remarkable exception: Palm Treo 600 with a hotswappable SIM.
The N9 does this no problem.

In addition, I used the phone yesterday as my main phone, played with it, showed it, no problems with the SIM card. You have to make an effort to lose the connection, at least in my case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Hmm just preordered my Jolla yesterday (uk).

This is slightly concerning as i will be swapping sims between the Jolla and my Nokia 925 (and occasionally my 808)

Is the problem the SIM touching that connector?

Regards

Barry