With installing Google Play Store you also install some Google services (for automatic updates, location services, etc.). Some might be afraid to do that for privacy reasons.

If you only want some specific app from the Play Store it's easier to get the .apk only from such a service. However, you won't get any update notification this way.

By the way, for open source Android software, F-Droid is a great alternative. The installation process is not as invasive as the Google Play Store, you only need a single .apk from their website.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Exactly, in my case, it was just 1 special app, i did not find in any other appstore (aptoide, androidpit, ...) and i don't wanted to install all that google stuff for just one app.

The apkdownloader worked perfect for this purpose.

Maybe i'm old-fashioned, but i want my phone to work without a google-account

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Well, ok, that makes sense

N900 ~ $ make me a sandwich
-bash: no, make it yourself
N900 ~ $ sudo make me a sandwich
-bash: ok then...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
You're not old-fashioned, it's rather a modern & reasonable thinking in my opinion. I also don't want to infect my Jolla with that Google stuff - and I don't want to re-open any Google accounts.
So those apk downloaders do a good job for those 2-3 regional apps I need.

But it's certainly great that there's a way to install Google Play on Jolla

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands
Just installed it, piece of cake! 25 minutes and it was done.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
I also installed it and wanted to ask if the hack still worked after the January and yes, it does indeed work with 1.0.3.8 firmware. I had to open the play store 2 times before it would work but now all ok. Only for non paid apps actually but that is exactly what I was looking for.

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
JAZZ, thanks for your instruction. I have created a little package that do it automatically if someone want: https://openrepos.net/content/schturman/dalvik-cleanup

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
If anyone has installed Hangouts on their Jolla they may be seeing the message that updated Google Play Services (GPS) is required, which never updates on Jolla.

The version of GPS installed from My Jolla Blog is 3.1.36 however I've found the APK for 4.3.23 available here (download link at the end of the article) and installing this APK on the Jolla (over the top of the existing package) went without a hitch - Hangouts has stopped complaining and is now working again!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2014-05-01 at 01:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Exactly, in my case, it was just 1 special app, i did not find in any other appstore (aptoide, androidpit, ...) and i don't wanted to install all that google stuff for just one app.

The apkdownloader worked perfect for this purpose.

I'm currently trying to avoid the google stuff as well (although I do use gmail..). For now I copy the apk (when I can find it) on my android phone and send it to my Jolla phone via bluetooth.

Some apps that compliment what is available at jolla store are CNN, weather bug, Vimeo Channel and Image Editor. Can folks chime in and recommend some other android apps that work on Jolla phone and compliment what is available at Jolla store.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Whats the latest story about google play installation?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...