Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ DFW, Texas
tetris11_,

believe it or not, just shortly after I had posted, I figured it out . Thanks for the response!

It works great now without any issues whatsoever. Yeah, the greenish tint is fixed by going into the camera app, and allowing it to sort of "reset" the lens itself. Then everything works just fine.

I've gone and looked at gstreamer's documentation and mainly been using a script to get the stuff that I need (carry a "webcam" wirelessly in the house while streaming to skype contacts)

n900: 192.168.1.6
receiving PC: 192.168.1.3

SENDING (n900):
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! tee name=t ! queue ! ffmpegcolorspace ! timeoverlay ! jpegenc ! tcpserversink host=192.168.1.3 port=1234 t. ! queue ! ffmpegcolorspace ! autovideosink

RECEIVING:
gst-launch tcpclientsrc host=192.168.1.6 port=1234 ! jpegdec ! autovideosink

Example above streams at 320x240 with live display on n900 (I always like to see what I'm actually streaming when walking around the house wirelessly). Reason for being with that resolution is that it's less laggy (I'm assuming since we're splitting gst-launch with tee for stream/live view). Skype works well under linux by just setting what screen portion you want to be streamed to your contacts. It works for what I mainly use it for perfectly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slackmagic For This Useful Post:
You sir are an absolute gem, you know that right!?

I remember that I'd been looking for a way to stream and see what you're streaming at the sametime for a while now, and you've literally cracked it in a single night - brilliant!

I'm out of the country right now, so I can't properly test it yet - but is the choppy playback on the phone broadcast that way too, or is it only choppy on the phone?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ DFW, Texas
tetris11_,

No, it's not choppy on the RECEIVING end at all. It's only laggy on the n900 if one chooses to use 640x480. But then again I don't really have my DSP overclocked too high, and one running with a higher clocked dsp as well as perhaps 1,150Mhz (which I used to run at permanently before the entire idea came up to stream to PC through n900's camera) might not see a lag. I'm on 1,000Mhz and 500 dsp now.

But like I said with 320x240 no lag is noticable on either ends.
With that said, happy streaming wirelessly.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Thanks for this app tetris11_ ! it's sweet. i took a look at your code and coughed up a hairball lol. fun fun

UI Tip * When you give folks menu options 1,2,3 you might wanna add 4) Exit and Quit (or not and laugh at users)

Originally Posted by Angry Master Yoda View Post
No fate. (c) J. Connor.
No (trying it from windows with X enabled).
Indicator is red.
From Linux: yes, I see window on my phone (gst-launch-0.10) with camera output.
First ensure that your N900 supports X11 forwarding:
1. install libxmuu1- 'sudo apt-get install libxmuu1'
2. install xauth- https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2494

then ensure you ssh to your N900 with the -X option to enable X-forwarding, otherwise you will see gst-launch-0.10 on your device.

hahaha thanks Arnim - I was more of a scripter than a proper OO developer when I started, so yeah pretty damn messy and a helluvalot lot of overhead.

I intend to clean this up.... just need time.

Exiting's not a real issue is it? You just hit the 'x' and voila

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Amsterdam
unbelievable that this is supposed to work at all

I have been busy with this crap for weeks and absolutely NOTHING of the above works. I have not seen ONE working videostream so far, very disappointing!

I use VLC 1.1.12 on linux mint 12 (ip 192.168.1.15 on wireless), n900 is 192.168.1.12
I fill in phonestream 192.168.1.15, port 8080, http, front, 320x240.
Then i open VLC on the pc and Media -> open network stream -> http://192.168.1.12:8080 -> Play, like it suggests on my n900

'Your input cant be opened - VLC is unable to open MRL http://192.168.1.12:8080' check the log for details.
So where is the log?
Do i need to forward ANY port in my router?
Why is there no PROPER explanation??

When i choose VLC in phonestream, it asks me to 'send vlc sdp to linux pc' but then complains ´error timed out - check the address'. So what should be the PROPER format of the address if my linux pc is at 192.168.1.15 ??

Can someone give me just ONE way to a working videostream here? Thanks alot

Ouch. Sounds like you've had a frudtrating couple of days -

First off, sorry about the app - it is nowhere near perfect and I wrote it as an intro to C++ (and OO in general) - so full of bugs, and bad design choices. I mean to write it all up from scratch as soon as I find an empty window.

Explanations:
Your ip addrresses seem fine to me. The log that VLC talks about is it's own log and not phonestreams. I cant remember how to access it, but if you start VLC from commandline you'll see more helpful messages.

The original VLC method SHOULD work though. Sending sdp from n900 to pc should be cake: Hit generate, fill in the username and password for your pc, and it should appear in your Desktop folder (I'll allow custom paths in future releases). The fact that it's giving the timeout message implies networking problems on your side, otherwise it would have given a different message.

Check to see if Openssh client AND server are installed on your linux pc.

There is also the manual method of copying the sdp file yourself.
It is located in MyDocs as n900stream.sdp. You can copy that to your PC and then hit stream on the phone, and open the sdp file on the desktop.

It should work. The send sdp to linux pc method uses a simple ssh script. The fact that that doesn't work suggests that you either have a firewall blocking all connections from your phone, or ssh is not properly installed.

I hope this helps. (yeah I know, still no proper explanation :P)

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Right, now i copied the n900videostrm.sdp manually through usb to /home/user/desktop and opened it with VLC after starting phonestream in VLC-mode and generating a .sdp file without sending.

I got 1 working stream (front camera, 320x240) and after opening the same .sdp file for the second time i got 1 more stream (back camera, 640x480)

Then it ceased working. WHY?
The program NEVER 'sends VLC sdp to Linux PC'. WHY?
The red led turns off after 2 seconds by the way.

Originally Posted by tetris11_ View Post
Ouch. Sounds like you've had a frudtrating couple of days -

First off, sorry about the app - it is nowhere near perfect and I
ok thanks now i read your reply (4 minutes too late)

Thanks actually for the app, i had it in my head for years and at least you tried!
I got 2 streams working fine (VLC mode, back+front) but none of the rest. So the format of the address was correct all the time and no need for ssh.
BUT, now it stopped working with no apparent reason. Frustrating indeed.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by rogierrr View Post
Frustrating indeed.
Just for the record:

Make sure you have ssh client and server installed on the n900. after that, things should work just fine.

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream