Active Topics

Originally Posted by jpfsn View Post
Have you seen ex-Nokia Exec Tomia Honen's blog post on the subject. Compelling reading.

I particularly like the bit

the N9 (the smartphone running the new MeeGo OS) was universally loved in every single review published - in fact it has had the most positive reception of any Nokia phone ever released from the beginning of time, whether smart or dumb. It is the only phone, the N9, among any manufacturers since 2007 (when the iPhone launched), to be regularly rated either as good or indeed better than the contemporary iPhone. As for the N9 in October 2011 that was obviously the brand new hot iPhone 4S, that is truly amazing praise for the N9 and its MeeGo OS

It's a long post, but well worth the 20+ minutes to read. Here's the link http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...nd-growth.html
That was a good read, even though I saw how the end was going to pan out early on. The part of the article where he described how Nokia was starving the carriers and customers of the desired handsets reminded me of the old Classic Coke scenario. One can only dream right now.

I am less optimistic than this. I may even be said to be pessimistic, this time.

Nokia will be the next Sun to some Oracle. Or dare I say Macromedia to Adobe. I'd say that with some confidence since I know that Nokia holds a lot of IP so they wouldn't go bankrupt first, but I can't because I believe Microsoft may have just ran off with that already, in their IP deal.

Either way, Nokia isn't going to recover. They're committed to their strategy and won't re-evaluate their Windows Phone strategy until it's clear if Windows Phone 8.1/8.5 is a success or not.

so here's a future that i'm hoping might happen. WP fails for Nokia.......elop gets fired.....they change direction and go back to Meego??

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
That was a good read, even though I saw how the end was going to pan out early on. The part of the article where he described how Nokia was starving the carriers and customers of the desired handsets reminded me of the old Classic Coke scenario. One can only dream right now.
I fully 100% agree with this blogs analysis.

Somebody please remove this very destructive man from the picture! Please?????!!!!
SOMEBODY PLEASE! He is destroying the company and destroying Finlands income and destroying jobs, he is just destructive. Please someone remove this person NOW ANd reverse his OS decisions.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by droll View Post
so here's a future that i'm hoping might happen. WP fails for Nokia.......elop gets fired.....they change direction and go back to Meego??
For certain people there comes a day

when they are called upon to say the great Yes

or the great No. It's clear at once who has

the Yes within him at the ready, which he will say

as he advances in honor, in greater self-belief.

He who refuses has no second thoughts. Asked

again, he would repeat the No. And nonetheless

that No -- so right -- defeats him all his life.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by droll View Post
If it gets to that point then Nokia won't have the cash reserves to be a meaningful competitor and will go the way of Palm.

In other news, neckbeard tears are my primary source of food. I feel like a kid who just ate at a Pizza Hut buffet for the first time.

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I fully 100% agree with this blogs analysis.

Somebody please remove this very destructive man from the picture! Please?????!!!!
SOMEBODY PLEASE! He is destroying the company and destroying Finlands income and destroying jobs, he is just destructive. Please someone remove this person NOW ANd reverse his OS decisions.
Eh...I love Maemo 6, but it wasn't ready for mainstream. Mainstream is 1000's of 'apps', again, the dumb public wants that, apps, apps, apps. Elop did the right thing in going with another OS that had a lot of potential. But again, he announced that Symbian and Maemo6/MeeGo were going bye bye, and everyone jumped ship from those devices, EVEN though Nokia still had devices in the pipeline not even released that were Symbian. He DIDN'T EVEN have a WP device ready when he made that announcement. Very stupid, ruined their year. Foolish on his part.

What I want is this: A popular Nokia OS for the masses, boring, with lots of apps. And for us, a Maemo device release every year, 1.5 years, or even every 2 years.

I digress. Nokia has made very egregious errors this past fiscal year. They are not at bankrupcy level yet. They are not as bad as Blackberry or Sony right now, but they are close. Their credit swap default is more than double of last year. Elop boarded a sinking ship, and he took out some of the water, but the water keeps coming in. He needs to get another robust OS with an excellent 'app' selection, that is supported by multiple 3rd party devs as well. We all keep yelling MeeGo/Maemo is that, but I don't think Nokia has the devs or resources to start from ground up.

Hell, if they do decide on Maemo, awesome, I'm on board, none of this dumbed down Meltemi BS either. Unless Meltemi is Maemo 7, then, great, I'm on board. But it is doubtful they will go with Maemo as another OS.

As for Tizen, that is going to run into the same issues MeeGo did. Samsung does not have the creativity Nokia has, and their devices are crap quality.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Totally unrelated to this thread.. BUT OMG, can you please learn to put the thread in the right forum and learn how to search for existing threads so you don't duplicate??

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
@Maemomd

How exactly does one escape the blackhole-catch 22 of that which you describe of, "it doesn't have thousands of apps" or did you just say something contrary just to be contrary.....yeah i think so.

Announcing next month the new Nokia phone especially for people who just like to post contrary things on internet forums, the "not ready for mainstream yet ready for mainstream phone"

The new phone that has 14,150 apps before it even exists on the market. It exists before it even exists, it is called the time traveling phone or the N to the nizine, completely immune from forum commenters that post contrary posts just to post a contrary statement.

<snip>"Elop did the right thing in going with another OS that had a lot of potential" etc., etc..<snip>

grrrrrrrr

GRRRRRRR

Hulk smash!

QT!!!!

@aironeous

Relax, I am talking about the public, not this community. They want things right now, and WP has been out for 2 years, still lacking a lot of 3rd party support. Blackberry's new OS is having the same issue, as well as webOS did. Unfortunately, in order for an OS do well, people want the 'appstore' like iTunes or Android now has. I prefer Maemo, open community, no tracking, overclocking, etc. WP had two years to get the support it still lacks. If Nokia goes with Maemo for plan B, they better start courting devs right now, kicking into 7th gear, get 3rd party support, etc., which they are not doing. Maemo community is much more patient and forgiving then the masses.

Elop is deep $hjt if his plan doesn't work out, but so is Nokia. And none of what I said is 'contrary'. :-)

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun