Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
I agree that is an old kernel. How many patches have been made since the 3.10 kernel?
Code:
$ git rev-list v3.10..HEAD --count
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
Is this Sony or Android still using an older kernel?
Both. Google choose a particular kernel for each release of Android however Sony are free to use whatever kernel they like.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I think Android is at 3.18. Security patches get backported as and when necessary, though.
That's not strictly true. Most Android OEMs are lazy and do not ensure devices are kept up to date with the latest release of a particular kernel. There's a further problem in that Google have no strategy in place to replace a kernel when it reaches EOL. 3.10 will reach EOL in October and 3.18 was already EOL'd last January. Security fixes will be missed as some kernel devs have been known to use cryptic commit messages to hide the fact that they are fixing security vulnerabilities.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Marshmallow is on 3.18. Nougat is on 4.4.
Correct, however according to Sony's Current platform functionality page, their Xperia devices on Nougat are all using either 3.10 or 3.18.

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
That is a big difference, do any of Sony phones run nougat?
See above.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Usually you can get a sleeve to insert the nano-sim card in if you must use it in an archaic device.
I got the whole setup in one nice kit. The punch cutter that can turn a mini-SIM* into a nano-SIM, or a micro-SIM into a nano-sim. A nano to micro adapter, a nano to mini adapter and a micro to mini adapter. Also a nano-SIM ejector that looks just like an unspooled paper-clip (except it's too short so I have to use the paper-clip after all) and a tiny piece of sandpaper, to shave a little off a mini- or micro-SIM, since the nano-SIM is just a hair thinner.

It all works, too. I took the micro-SIM I was using in my N9 and cut it down to nano-size (with great anxiety) and it worked in my OnePlus One and OnePlus X. Putting the cut-down chip in a nano- to micro-adapter got it working back in the N9. Putting it in the mini-adapter, and it works in the N900! I did not sand the label down, and it's just a little tight, but not so tight it gets stuck.

Now I wouldn't want to be switching these around all the time, but it's fine for occasional use.

*I know most people call the "mini-SIM" just a "SIM," but the original SIM really was the size of a credit card with the chip contacts in the same place you'd see on your Visa card (or whatever).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Usually you can get a sleeve to insert the nano-sim card in if you must use it in an archaic device.
To this and other similar responses...

I tried that when I had to trim my SIM to fit in the Jolla. An adapter did not help me when I tried to put that SIM back in the N900 where it originally came from. Contacts are in the right place but I suspect the tension is missing as the whole assembly is no longer a single piece of plastic. Now there is a third format and I should believe that it would work this time?

All this for an entirely arbitrary decision. A standard SIM fits in Xperia Mini but it does not fit in a phone more than double the size and needs to be cut to the "nano" size. Mind boggles.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
The power button on the normal x is actually a finger print sensor
Except, according to TechRadar, it doesn't work in the US because reasons.

TechSpot says it's actually disabled in software, also for reasons. Would it work with alternative firmware? Who knows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

I tried that when I had to trim my SIM to fit in the Jolla. An adapter did not help me when I tried to put that SIM back in the N900 where it originally came from. Contacts are in the right place but I suspect the tension is missing as the whole assembly is no longer a single piece of plastic. Now there is a third format and I should believe that it would work this time?

All this for an entirely arbitrary decision. A standard SIM fits in Xperia Mini but it does not fit in a phone more than double the size and needs to be cut to the "nano" size. Mind boggles.
Sorry to hear it didn't work. I think my original sim card was actually cut to be the size of Nano-Sim and then I was given a sleeve to use for bigger slot in case I needed it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
http://suomimobiili.fi/tata-jollan-y...-laitteen-saa/

Aliendalvik will be in, confirmed by Juhani Lassila in source above.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Despite the above...

Just as a suggestion (not limited to pichlo):
1) Get a quality (plastic) adapter(s), not some paper/cardboard one(s),
2) Get an actual nano SIM from the start. I once had a trimmed down SIM and while the micro size had been ok, eventually the nano wasn't (it did look proper but possibly it was still my own mistake, granted).

I haven't had any trouble whatsoever using my current nano SIM between 3 different phones of which two are a N900 & a Jolla1... but like always YMMV.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Hands On: Jolla's Sailfish OS on a Sony Xperia X
BY THOMAS NEWTON - FEBRUARY 28, 2017
Sail away from Google's grasp with this fishy Finnish OS.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
All this talk about the Xperia X Compact made me start considering it.
From the particular viewpoint of good old raster tile based map apps, I can already recommend the Xperia X Compact due to the lower ppi -- 319 vs. 441 on the Xperia X. 319 ppi should be reasonably usable with @2x map tiles, while 441 would need @3x or @4x, which are not really available anywhere and even if they were, might be slow to download and render. Users of some ports, such as Fairphone 2, should be able to confirm this -- unreadably small text, excessive level of detail and too many tiles vs. the screen size.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:

Compatibility.

USB C is a problem for the same reason, BTW.
usb c is not a problem, it is the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x