Notices

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py", line 141, in <module>
    handle = rdesktop()
  File "/usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py", line 50, in __init__
    self.host.set_text(self.client.get_string("/apps/rdesktop/server")) # The old rdesktop app called it server, let's keep compatibility
TypeError: GtkEntry.set_text() argument 1 must be string, not None

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Yes, that's where I figured the errors are coming from. For now, the way to fix this is to install the old rdesktop frontend and save some settings. However, I've included a fix for the next version. Sorry, I'm still quite new at python, and there's no good reference for python's gconf...

Sparks: Are you running diablo or chinook? If you go to the control panel, and open "About Product", what OS version does it show? My guess is you're running chinook, while this is compiled against the diablo libraries. In the next version, I'll try to include a chinook version, too.

Originally Posted by onhiatus View Post
Any chance at auto reconnect? That's the one issue that is keeping this from being the perfect solution in my my home automation.

In my setup (stock 770) rdesktop stays connected from 2 - 35 hours (right around 12 is probably average). Having it automatically try to reconnect would be a lifesaver.
+1

I only use the n800 connected with rdesktop 24hr to the server pc. Not often but sometimes I also see that it looses connection...

peter

Well, the part I actually wrote, and the part most of the work will be done on is the GUI. I will try to implement being able to minimize rdesktop ressions, and having auto-reconnect, but those are both features of rdesktop itself, not the frontend.

Anyway, here's a little teaser of the next version of the frontend, featuring multiple profiles! If I figure out how, I'll include the rdesktop modifications in this next version...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
How are you guys using rDesktop for more than a few minutes? If the screen blanks (timeout), when I reactive the screen, rDesktop is not fullscreen but just white and unresponsive.

Last edited by bluesubaru; 2008-08-16 at 19:14. Reason: spelling

Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
Sparks: Are you running diablo or chinook? If you go to the control panel, and open "About Product", what OS version does it show? My guess is you're running chinook, while this is compiled against the diablo libraries. In the next version, I'll try to include a chinook version, too.
It says version 2.2007.50-2

It seems you are running an old version of Chinook. My suggestion would be to upgrade to the latest version of diablo, which you can get from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php (file RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin). I will try to compile a version for chinook with the next release, but that's only if I can figure out how to get chinook and diablo running side-by-side in scratchbox...

I installed rdekstop on n800-diablo and some files on my desktopto allow remote desktop connection on my vista Home premiun edition.
What is good: I can connect to my PC using the private IP (192.168.2.xxx), and everything wokrs very smooth but no sound, even if i choose sound option. I can see on the remote desktop that volume is set to "mute" and i can't change it.

My problem: I'm trying to connect to the same desktop but using the public router IP. I've already forwarded the 3389 ports (UDP and TCP) to this machine, but it didn't wok.

Actually, this is not a problem with rdesktop because i tried a RDC client on my vista to connect to itself using public IP but nothing. Using the private IP, it works.

I didn't try to access my desktop from another LAN, but i'm quite sure i'll get the same problem.

So, i need somehelp in this issue.

Last edited by ghassane; 2008-08-16 at 19:49.

Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
It seems you are running an old version of Chinook. My suggestion would be to upgrade to the latest version of diablo, which you can get from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php (file RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin). I will try to compile a version for chinook with the next release, but that's only if I can figure out how to get chinook and diablo running side-by-side in scratchbox...
I went ahead and upgraded. Now on 4.2008.30-2. And now having other problems. I'm following the instructions on http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/installation.html. Everytime I try
sudo flasher --enable-rd-mode
it asks for a password. I type it in and it keeps asking. Then I tried an SSH session, got logged in as root. Tried the same thing, loaded Python 2.5 runtime, loaded rdesktop, loaded pyRdesktop, launch either of them and nothing happens now. Guess I'm going backwards. Odd thing...when I try to enable R&D mode per the above instructions from the N800...it keeps asking for a password..even when I put the correct one in.

ghassane: For the sound issue, try unmuting your computer before you start the rdesktop session. For the public IP issue, the best advice I can give is make sure the port forward is enabled, and make sure you don't have any firewall software blocking that port on the computer (most firewalls can detect the difference between local and remote connections).

Sparks: You shouldn't need to enable R&D mode if you have SSH working. Make sure python is working by typing "python" (no quotes) at your SSH prompt. You should get some messages about python, and then a different prompt. You can type "quit()" to get out of that prompt. Also, if you're trying to run rdesktop or pyRdesktop from a command line, make sure you run "su - user" first (changes you to the normal user, which is how programs normally run). If all else fails, try installing a different application that requires python, like Canola or PyPackager. Since these are in the repositories, they will automatically take care of dependencies. Although, if pyRdesktop installed without any errors, that shouldn't be a problem...

Anyway, I sent a PM to disq (the maintainer of the old rdesktop), because I'm having trouble adding the feature to minimize rdesktop sessions. Once I get in contact with him and get that figured out, the next version should be ready to ship, complete with profiles!

Tags
diablo, gui, rdesktop