Hello,

Just looking for some feedback on what people think are the best programs to add to the N800 for optimal use.

Thanks
J

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I have now installed:

- X Terminal
- Gnumeric spreadsheet
- Leafpad editor
- Midnight Commander (system utilities)
- FBReader ebook reader
- Minimo browser (but not using it, because too alpha)
- Nethack role playing game

I'll most likely install, but later:

- Horizon sketching program (amazing stuff!)
- Abiword or Ted wordprocessors (if they ever become available!)
- Tons of other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Paris, FRANCE
Karel, gnumeric is not listed in the OS2007 tested application wiki, what version did you get?

My apps:

ssh
Xterm
maemo mapper
openvpn
vncviewer
gizmo

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by guerby View Post
Karel, gnumeric is not listed in the OS2007 tested application wiki, what version did you get?
Just the one in the 2006 applications list at maemo.org. It seems to work identically as on my 770.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
I'm picking up my new n800 next week, and I'm quite excited! But, I'm a bit afraid to add new apps or even flash the new update from Nokia (if it needs it) as I've read so much about reboot loops on here, and other assorted problems, that I'm scared to put anything on!!! Any advice?

Currently:
xterm
kismet
becomeroot (needed with kismet)
privoxy (I've set it as proxy when using gprs, to filter needless banners and other pay-by-the-megabyte needless extra, slow stuff)
media streamer (haven't found anything to use it for yet though)

Future:
openvpn (I need it, but apparently the current version must be installed by dpkg'ing the .deb or something - I'm waiting for a click-install version)
ssh
vnc (probably)

Originally Posted by Saccente View Post
I'm picking up my new n800 next week, and I'm quite excited! But, I'm a bit afraid to add new apps or even flash the new update from Nokia (if it needs it) as I've read so much about reboot loops on here, and other assorted problems, that I'm scared to put anything on!!! Any advice?
If you're afraid of rebooting, don't reboot! The great thing about a Debian-based Linux distro is that it hardly ever needs rebooting. Nothing of what I installed (see previous post) needed a reboot.
(Obviously a reflash needs a reboot, but if your N800 is made in Finland (as apparently those from direct.nokia.com are) then it'll have the update already.