Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
The delays to the tablet were not software related at all. If they hadn't spent any time improving the OS, then they still would have run out of money before the tablet shipped. In fact, without the indication of return on investment that their work on the OS was producing, their investors would have pulled out last December instead.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Seems like you intentionally disregard or refuse to understand the overall situation of startup company, which is that they are dependent on new financing rounds as long as there is no sufficient income to cover the costs. To get such income they need to develop something to sell (Sailfish OS) AND have some way to demonstrate it is a feasible product for others to use (spearhead devices like phone and tablet, even if they do not generate profits by themselves). It's not an issue of ignoring the other costs but reality that hit this time bit harder than before.

The other way could have been to just use tablets as demonstration devices for manufacturers and not to sell it anywhere. Of course we would be moaning about not getting them on that case too...
Did you read what I wrote? Never mind, my point was that even start up must consider budgets and adjust.

To give you an example and it could be a real case for all we know. The single Jolla investers have same point as me. Expecting something and got something else for his money and Now have questions.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
While we are waiting for News...

If Jolla came up with a second Indiegogo campaign right now, Jolla Phone ll, 499 Euro.

Would you consider to join?

Or transfer your Jolla tablet payment to a gift to Jolla and skip the tablet to help Jolla?

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-11-25 at 19:02.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If Jolla came up with a second Indiegogo campaign right now, Jolla Phone ll, 499 Euro.
Shut up and take my money!

While we are waiting for News...

Would you consider to join?
If they completed their next funding round, then definitely, without hesitation. I wish they'd made a €500 phone to start with. I think if they'd known the cheap one would fail so hard they would have.

Did you read what I wrote? Never mind, my point was that even start up must consider budgets and adjust.
Budget is done on presumption, which is adjusted if something happens that makes the presumption false. This is exactly what Jolla has done, as the presumption has been that financing round C is completed in time. It didn't happen, but it could not have been known when budget for 2015 was made. As the the company is currently completely dependent on external financing, all they can do is to push forward as much as they can when they have money to have something to show to investors when the time comes to ask for more, until there are enough customers to finance the operations.

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
If they completed their next funding round, then definitely, without hesitation. I wish they'd made a €500 phone to start with. I think if they'd known the cheap one would fail so hard they would have.
True however a 500 Euro phone is not what it used to be. Before it was high end, nowadays is midrange...tops. Add to that Jollas limited numbers limits the specs even more. But yeah, some more Memory and better screen would be nice.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
So many IDIOT comments on the blog post. People is sooo damn stupid idiots

However I doubt Jolla can fix it. Sorry too say that but...
They are not idiots, it is just the 5 Stages of Loss and Grief:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

Most are still in the Denial phase ("They will get financing in December and we will get our tablets."), some in the Anger phase.

True however a 500 Euro phone is not what it used to be. Before it was high end, nowadays is midrange...tops. Add to that Jollas limited numbers limits the specs even more. But yeah, some more Memory and better screen would be nice.
You're right. I reckon a good target price would be whatever the price of an iPhone is right now. I'd expect a HW keyboard too.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by IlkkaP View Post
Most are still in the Denial phase ("They will get financing in December and we will get our tablets."), some in the Anger phase.
Acceptance would be my phase. At the time of my backing, it was a statement more of that I support their ideals, their engineers and hopefully I'd have a choice of a device that was not iOS, Android, Microsoft or spying on me and closer aligned to my wants/needs of being more open than closed off or just convenient without other benefits.

Simply stated, my backing will now be seen as a donation until otherwise proven differently. It does not hurt my pocket as much as it would removing that option in a device. And knowing that a good group of people are out of work at this moment doesn't sit well with me either.

I wish Jolla luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund