Notices

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Did you use Qt for Instinctiv?
Did you try to compile this great app for symbian3?
This way you can sell the app for n8 and n900 and get the money you need to cover all costs.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Karachi
Hey peter,

From what ive gathered on these past few pages of posts, i understand the descision to put this Instinctiv for maemo on hold is difficult but at the same time inevitable and understandable. Between being dissuaded from the present (maemo5) and being uncertain about the future (meego), it makes perfect business sense not to invest more time and money into this.

If you can, release the update you and your team have worked on for so long, with as much as you can implement (perhaps the new UI aswell?). Many here will appreciate it, including myself. I like the software, I'd like to see it improve. I'm probably going to buy the windows version for my pc once it hits.

Pure fantasy but the win-win solution would go something like this:

Nokia realizes that its "schizophrenic" platform strategy has created hardship among both its user base and its developer base. As a show of good faith Nokia would pay to finish Instinctiv. The loyal Maemo user base gets thrown a bone for being patient and Nokia gets some good karma from the developer world.

Seriously, if $6000 would come close to covering the remaining development cost, it sounds like it would cost Nokia less than the equivalent of one full time employee to make finishing this product profitable for Instinctiv.

David

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
Did you use Qt for Instinctiv?
Did you try to compile this great app for symbian3?
This way you can sell the app for n8 and n900 and get the money you need to cover all costs.
We did use QT and we did try to compile for Symbian^3. The most I can say is that it compiles -- the UI is badly broken as is a lot of our audio rendering and filesystem logic. Given the markets it's in, the people who use it and the longevity of the platform itself, building for Symbian is at the bottom of our priority list.

We understand your disappointment and I hope you understand ours: we feel really frustrated to have worked this hard for nothing. The only thing we can really afford to do at this point is focus our attention on platforms where we can survive as a company.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
Pure fantasy but the win-win solution would go something like this:

Nokia realizes that its "schizophrenic" platform strategy has created hardship among both its user base and its developer base. As a show of good faith Nokia would pay to finish Instinctiv. The loyal Maemo user base gets thrown a bone for being patient and Nokia gets some good karma from the developer world.

Seriously, if $6000 would come close to covering the remaining development cost, it sounds like it would cost Nokia less than the equivalent of one full time employee to make finishing this product profitable for Instinctiv.

David
There's opportunity cost for us. Time spent wrapping up the app in terms of salaries is somewhere on the order of $6k (a little more) or roughly two months of dev time to do everything we'd want to. But we could also spend those two months working on another platform or project and be making significant amounts of money two months sooner. Short of some kind of preload distribution deal on MeeGo I don't think there's much that could change our minds.

Start a petition

The Following User Says Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
@Instinctiv
this is an unfortunate end especially as you have so well understood this community
thanks anyway for what you brought and what you could bring from your latest development

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
Last week we spoke with Nokia. We were actively discouraged from developing for Maemo any further.
The "actively discouraged" seems to have been misunderstood, so I'd appreciate a clarification. Can you describe in more detail the conversation? From this, it sounds like Nokia said "we suggest you do not provide any further releases for Maemo"; whereas from your other posts it sounds like Nokia told you sales volumes, that PR1.3 was the last release and that you did a perfectly fair & rational cost/benefit analysis and decided to draw it to a close.

However, I'd hoped that even in the latter case, Nokia would have said something like "PR1.3 is the last release of Maemo, however we're committed to Qt - sticking to our preferred technologies and developing on Maemo will give you a headstart for the Harmattan device and other future MeeGo devices".

Further clarification would be much appreciated.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Pakistan
[QUOTE=bobcorn;891535]سلمان عباس :
طبعا

is that urdu or arabic?

Originally Posted by attila77:
The Nokia message is still that Qt and Qt Quick are the transitional technologies from Maemo onto MeeGo. As I understand it, that is not the issue here - but rather the (monetization-wise) small userbase which is unlikely to get much bigger until the release of MeeGo devices.
That's pretty much the message we received.
That's completely different than "discouraged from developing for Maemo" . If you look back to history, we announced LinuxTag 2008 that next Maemo platform, Harmattan will be Qt based so going to Qt is no longer any new issue. We had Qt for Maemo 5 since beginning, we supplied it with first beta SDK beginning of 2009.
Harmattan was at beginning called as Maemo6 and in practice going to MeeGo was in technical sense just renaming it. MeeGo was in practice merge of Maemo and Moblin and both of them were based on same components, so no major change were needed.

If you today develop for N900/Maemo5 using Qt, Qt Quick, Qt Quick Components and Qt Mobility, your application will run unmodified in MeeGo.

Nokia has given information about Maemo development directions a log time ago, we have also provided developer viesions of new technologies as early as possible so that any new technology won't become as surprise to developers.

Kate

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
We did use QT and we did try to compile for Symbian^3. The most I can say is that it compiles -- the UI is badly broken as is a lot of our audio rendering and filesystem logic. Given the markets it's in, the people who use it and the longevity of the platform itself, building for Symbian is at the bottom of our priority list.
Let's make other clarification, Qt != QWidgets, QWidgets are UI components based on desktop paradigm and not well suited to mobile programming at all. We did a lot of work to make them working in Maemo5 but that's special one-of case. Don't expect other platforms to be same. To make good mobile UI you need to use toolkit designed for mobile US amd new mobile paradigm. Please read more from my blog: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ka...ick-components

Kate