My N900 just doesn't seem to be picking up the memory card put in, I read on here that it could be a problem with no magnet but I know that a magnet is definately there as I put a magnet on top and it was attracted to it and I tried a paper clip and that was attracted too.

I've learnt it may be a hardware issue with the phone, any solutions or tips on what to do 'cause I'm really confused....

restart you phone, it might work turn it off than on

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Is the card formatted, meaning is the a filesystem? You coulfd formate the card through Hildon File Manager, if it sees the card, by long-pressing the icon and choosing from the pop-up menu.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
have you checked its the correct magnet? i think theres another somewhere, the memory card checks the tiny magnet under the middle of the kickstand, make sure the memory card is properly locked in place, back on correctly, kickstand shut. failing that check the memory card works on another device.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The memory card I've formatted and popped it out of my old 5800 where it worked perfectly, no problems at all. I put a magnet on top of the one behind the kickstand, put the memory card it, no sign of the memory card in the file manager, rebooted the phone and still no sign.

I have a slight problem with the lock for the memory card as only one side of it fully clips down whereas the other is impossible to press down, is this a problem?

Originally Posted by asim786 View Post
I have a slight problem with the lock for the memory card as only one side of it fully clips down whereas the other is impossible to press down, is this a problem?
well, yes, i believe this is most likely your problem. ummm for starters its not supposed to "clip down" as such, it should just press down freely, and then you slide it into place and it locks, slide it back to unlock and it springs up. if its not held down correctly the pins may not all make contact, hence no memory card in phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
I've now sorted that problem, but it doesn't seem to be the case, I saw a thread on here about some chap who had the same problem as me and he took a few pictures of the magnet under the kick stand, his looks exactly like mine but he said the magnet was missing :S so I'll try and cut a magnet down to the size required, stick it under the kickstand and see whats what, I really do hope it works!

yeah my magnet is actually stuck to the bottom of the kickstand at the moment, rather than the phone case under it til i find some superglue. apparently the thin fridge magnets are rather good if you need a replacement, but as long as its there it shold work.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Some memory card is locked to the 5800 express music. Which can't be used on any other device other than the host device. Got that problem before and thought my Memory card tray is broken but later on to descovered that it wasn't the case. The problem is the memory card. It works on the 5800 where it came out of but did not work in any other device including the computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Hmmm, but I bought this memory card seperately and was using it on a Satio before the 5800 so I doubt that's the problem?

and I'm not able to get the magnet I'm using thin enough, as in length wise it's perfect but it's too fat and won't allow the kickstand to close, any ideas how to get it thinner? :/