Active Topics

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
This is in very early stages, and no GUI is provided (only CLI tools). Source code for enumerating and switching between windows is provided (it's just Xlib + EWHM stuff). Hope this can be put to good use:

http://thp.io/2012/cyclotron/

Ideally we'd integrate this into the mcompositor swipeplugin and make it so that swiping left/right would switch between running apps, just like on webOS and BB Playbook OS. But the swipeplugin is closed source, and reimplementing it from scratch just to add this feature is not something I want to do

The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Just 10 minutes ago I was trying this out and wondering why no Announce thread and its here

It works nice and seamlessly with the volume buttons; MyMoves takes that bit longer to register making it not as seamless...

Only downside of using volume buttons is not being able to use it to control music player's volume but those buttons are useful mainly when the screen is locked on-the-go during which time switcher can be killed

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I'm no programmer, thats why i cannot contribute, but i tried the switcher app and while it worked, it is too sensitive and it flips through open apps like mad if i accidentally hold down volume button too long. Can this be done so that key release switches an app?

Also can homescreen be excluded from swither?

I realise it is your free time and will to implement this. But maybe you'll want to make an purchasable app later? I personally think it would be nice addition to n9.

edit: Or i could add 'next' and 'previous' buttons to quicklaunch running a cycle app, that would be nice too, i'm not using quick launch too often anyway. Just a thought.

Last edited by veeall; 2012-12-11 at 13:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 216 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Mars
Good Job thp! Keep it up hope to have it more like 'permanent' as in,i can close the terminal and it still works...

The Following User Says Thank You to ThraxZzz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ThraxZzz View Post
Good Job thp! Keep it up hope to have it more like 'permanent' as in,i can close the terminal and it still works...
Create start and stop icons on homescreen then

The process runs in a not-intrusive manner...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Im no developer :P

Im no developer :P
Take any .desktop file for any app from /usr/share/applications/ see how its done; what you need to change is the Exec= field to either /opt/cyclotron/bin/switcher or /opt/cyclotron/bin/cycle depending on your preference; i chose the former...

For the stop change the Exec= to killall switcher and done

Of course once you read sample .desktop files you can see how to change the name, icon etc and you are set

See, no developer knowledge required

Edit: When i mean take any .desktop file, take an application's .desktop and use cp -R to make another copy in the same directory and use your favourite text editor like nano, vi etc to do the changes... Of course you could the above using sed in one-line if you are comfortable with it; its all upto your personal preferences

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-12-11 at 15:36. Reason: clarifications

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Hmmm,so,i will need two icons? One for kill,one for it to activate?

The Following User Says Thank You to ThraxZzz For This Useful Post:
Hmmm,so,i will need two icons? One for kill,one for it to activate?
I have two so i can activate and kill on demand; you choose what you want...You can always open terminal and type killall switcher to kill too if you don't intend to use the kill icon much...

Of course that is if you intend to use Volume Buttons; you can make icons with /opt/cyclotron/bin/cycle which you can link as an application to launch in MyMoves too which won't require killing...

As thp says on his page, use your imagination; i tried the volume buttons and MyMoves and prefer to stick to volume buttons...Of course you can use quicklaunch bar for it or think of something else too

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-12-11 at 15:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
OMG! it works ! Thanks thedead1440! really glad to have you in this forum,also,thanks thp for this

Cheers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThraxZzz For This Useful Post: