Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Nobless View Post
What this ? it is safe to upgrade ?
I am thinking to put some random package in repo wiping rootfs for example. Hoping that way those of you who have no clue, to learn to follow the instructions AND USE HAM, dammit!

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I am thinking to put some random package in repo wiping rootfs for example. Hoping that way those of you who have no clue, to learn to follow the instructions AND USE HAM, dammit!
HAM is so ..., you will not succeed!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Lithuania
I'm not using FAM to upgrade, just checking with FAM is there a new updates or no because its BILLION TIMES FASTER than with crappy and slow HAM!!

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
during your last kernel - updater update, the HAM says something like: "the update is breaking the whatever upgrade policy", and the process is simply interrupted.
then i go to x-term, type all installable/upgradeable packages names: apt-get install --reinstall, and this is works fine, inclding the kernel flashing

first I always tried to use HAM for the general updates from you, as you say, but if it doesn't works fine, I have to do it from x-term..

HAM is repeatedly surprises me with strange messages.. hate it.
btw your work is still amazing, so i'm not complaining

(sorry again for my english )

which of the repositories (catalogs in NOKIA / HAM parlance) are needed?
especially extras-testing & extras-devel take a lot of time to update of course, but removing any unneeded rep / cat helps...

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
HAM is so ..., you will not succeed!
As I do not want to put freemangordons view in question at all, I also have to say, that HAM sometimes does not do what you want it/him/her to do (besides its slowlyness).
Last time I wanted to upgrade to PR1.3.1 and HAM did not let me (message: "to less free space ...." with over 25MB free on rootFS).
I took a deep breath and let FAM do the work. Done.

But in general you should follow freemangordons advice!

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Guys, I am not saying HAM is the next best thing since the sliced bread was discovered, the point is that repo may contain stuff still not tested enough, broken stuff, etc, etc. That is why metapackage is - once I am sure new stuff won't break anything, I put a new mp and announce it here. HAM does not show packages while in the middle of my work. Those of you who are knowledgeable enough may use wget and dpkg if they wish, as they won't post questions here like "why HAM says I should use OVI Suite" and such. The others have to just disable extras-testing and extras-devel and use HAM. That way repo update takes no more than 1-2 minutes. And if something breaks, we have a common ground to start from.

I hope you get it

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
I think I can "see" my N900 performing better now (with CSSU Thumb)

I guess it's because of the more free RAM it gained. I hope it's not a placebo effect : )

oh, and btw... I also feel that the N900 is more "alive" than the N9. Many things keep getting better and better almost everyday.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 199 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Concepcion, Chile
my n900 work better, but the new kernel (cssu) do not work with joikuspot

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Normal N900 that is now taking a rest:
Running Power50
RAM: 147MB
SWAP: 107MB
Total: 254MB

Other N900 that is now primary:
Running cssu3 Thumb 14
RAM: 139MB
SWAP: 50MB
Total: 189MB

But all in all i have only install the basics and contacts, g.talk and skype running.
So memory usage is subject to change, will properly post again in a month or something

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life