Hi

I've bought N900, to use it as my business device (I'm Linux fan).

Previously I had E90.

I use my mobile mostly as email reader when I'm out of my office. I need to read email from 4 accounts.

On E90 I used IMAP connection to view email, download them to device. There were no problem at all. I downloaded only messages which I need, or if message had big attachments - I did not downloaded them.

I would like to know is it possible to use N900 same way - I would like to get notification about new email, while N900 would not download those email and, even if I open new email which N900 would download then, it will not download all attachments if I did not request downloading them. I tried POP3 setting, IMAP setting - all the time full emails were downloaded.

Hope someone would help me.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
IMO business usage and N900 do not go well with each other :| After all itīs marketed as multimedia & web tablet device that you can easily break .

Email on default app is well. Hmmm. Just search and learn. I do not use it and actually i would like to uninstall it.

Sorry for not giving any real answers.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Lebanon- Beirut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yix9ACGQY8

That's how to setup mail for gmail. You can forward all your mails to one gmail account or setup several accounts in the phone. Works great for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to ahmadamaj For This Useful Post:
Hmmm, I'd check you settings. I have the email widget on the desktop with 5 or so accounts configured. It only downloads the message headers and basic text in each email (so no pics or attachments unless I request) and it auto updates whenever I need.
Just go to the email app and configure it in settings. Let me know if you need help with any of it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by slender View Post
...After all itīs marketed as multimedia & web tablet device that you can easily break .
Hmm, I don't get that vibe from their marketing at all.. especially the part where it can easily break.

http://maemo.nokia.com/features/email/

An Authentic Email Experience

Enjoy many of the same email features you would expect on your home computer with rich HTML support. Copy and paste text, attach an image into the body of a message, or change the font or font size.
OP is asking about a specific feature (partial fetch) which, as far as I'm concerned is a requirement for all mobile devices... (+ aggressive caching mechanism, to speed up overall client performance).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Hmm, I don't get that vibe from their marketing at all.. especially the part where it can easily break.

http://maemo.nokia.com/features/email/

OP is asking about a specific feature (partial fetch) which, as far as I'm concerned is a requirement for all mobile devices... (+ aggressive caching mechanism, to speed up overall client performance).
By breaking I mean that just installing ONE app from here TMO or just installing ONE app from devel & testing or just making one mistake in x term you might end up with device that you need to reflash. Price what you got to pay for freedom provided. You are 100% responsible for actions you make to your device.

And I just said that this is multimedia device. If Nokias outdated business model where every piece of device is fragmented and targeted to specifically to particular market group comes as surprise then you should maybe learn more about Nokia. E is for business PERIOD DO NOT TRY TO USE N SERIES IN BUSINESS ENVIORNMENT. Capiche? Or Of course you can try but well...have fun tweaking

.edit
Letīs try to answer OP.

Hmm from advertisement page
"Nokia Messaging supports push email from your favourite services including Microsoft Live Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Google Mail."

So first i would set up Nokia Messaging because it looks like itīs the way to go. About attachments. To me attachments do not get downloaded automatically. Maybe something to do with fact that I have installed modified Modest:

I also would try to experiment device and try updated modest:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63291
"Normal warnings apply. Please backup before doing any experiments with your device"

..edit
Do not use POP3 if you do not want to download attachments
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=508367&postcount=8

Last edited by slender; 2010-10-11 at 07:08.

By breaking I mean that just installing ONE app from here TMO or just installing ONE app from devel & testing or just making one mistake in x term you might end up with device that you need to reflash. Price what you got to pay for freedom provided. You are 100% responsible for actions you make to your device.
Well, I have had a few linux based handhelds in the past... and none of them were as 'fragile' as the n900 in terms of its stability. The zaurus series come to mind. So I really don't think we should be using that explanation to excuse us from a rather serious deficiency.

*: to rely too much on devel/testing to provide features that we should basically have on the shipped device.

And I just said that this is multimedia device. If Nokias outdated business model where every piece of device is fragmented and targeted to specifically to particular market group comes as surprise then you should maybe learn more about Nokia. E is for business PERIOD DO NOT TRY TO USE N SERIES IN BUSINESS ENVIORNMENT. Capiche? Or Of course you can try but well...have fun tweaking
I don't think this distinction is that clear outside of the Nokia fan(boys) community. I can see 'E' may be short for enterprise... but 'n'? And don't get me started to compare n95's capabilities which exceeded the boundaries that you seem to have self-defined for a Nokia 'N' series phone.

The n95 was good.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Well, I have had a few linux based handhelds in the past... and none of them were as 'fragile' as the n900 in terms of its stability. The zaurus series come to mind. So I really don't think we should be using that explanation to excuse us from a rather serious deficiency.

*: to rely too much on devel/testing to provide features that we should basically have on the shipped device.
Hmm. Every single desktop version of different linux distroes I have manged to brake. Maybe with root or by installing stuff from repository where I should not install. Simple as that. Only one I can blame is ape looking back from mirror. Doing stuff that Iīm not trained. But if I choose to not experiment and install stuff from stable repositories and not to go too deep in CLI then Iīm safe.

I don't think this distinction is that clear outside of the Nokia fan(boys) community. I can see 'E' may be short for enterprise... but 'n'? And don't get me started to compare n95's capabilities which exceeded the boundaries that you seem to have self-defined for a Nokia 'N' series phone.

The n95 was good.
Yes itīs true that N95 was good, but it doesnīt change fact that Nokia does business as it does. I would never ever buy jigsaw for job for hand saw. Well It manages to probably do something but end result/speed might not be good. Iīm not saying that Nokia should not provide device that manages to do everything but Iīm just saying that maybe also customer has somekind of responsibility on what he is going to buy. Saying that all competitors are doing this and that and for this kind of price I would expect this and that is just well IMO stupid. Do not expect. Read, learn, test and if not what you expected then change. That is only way to make things happen. BUY competitors product if not happy. Best feedback in the world. Nokias headache is to make customer satisfaction researches and try to learn what customer want.

Yes itīs true that N95 was good, but it doesnīt change fact that Nokia does business as it does. I would never ever buy jigsaw for job for hand saw. Well It manages to probably do something but end result/speed might not be good. Iīm not saying that Nokia should not provide device that manages to do everything but Iīm just saying that maybe also customer has somekind of responsibility on what he is going to buy.
I think I'm getting a mixed message here.

"Check Nokia's corporate official strategy and messages" to "Ignore Nokia (or its subsidiary's) marketing messages and do the research yourself" (I assume by reading reviews from fellow forum users and bloggers, since all other tech publications have been deemed as 'crap' for saying negative things about Nokia).

Whichever is convenient at the time is usually presented

Saying that all competitors are doing this and that and for this kind of price I would expect this and that is just well IMO stupid.
For Nokia's sake, I hope they pay more attention to what their competitors are doing.... to remain... 'competitive', y'know.

Do not expect. Read, learn, test and if not what you expected then change. That is only way to make things happen. BUY competitors product if not happy. Best feedback in the world. Nokias headache is to make customer satisfaction researches and try to learn what customer want.
Not quite sure what you're trying to say here.

At the end of the day, the deficiency mentioned in this thread is not a business feature. It's a common feature among all popular smartphone platforms. That's the point I was making.

Hi

Is there any way to disable auto download attachments if I open email ??? This is the only bug I see - N900 downloads all email, with attachement, I would like to download attachement only on request.