Active Topics

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I love my N900 for its openness, but it is too slow for me sometimes (don't want to overclock), I would like a working navigation with voice and I love the Swipe UI (already tested it).

Basically, money is not a problem - however, there are still some questions:

-I live in Germany - so what about warranty in my country (e.g. if I import from Austria)?
-Is porting applications to this phone much more difficult than porting to N900? Currently I use scratchbox on a openSUSE PC (e.g. to port xskat, brainparty, ...)
-About the battery life - how good is the battery in comparison to N900?
-Does the battery lose capacity from time to time? (Since I can't switch the battery, I would have to send the phone in every time)
-Can I simply use my normal SIM card and cut the edges off so it fits into the MicroSIM slot?

The only thing I would miss is a FM transmitter, but that's not too important.

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
- I think that warranty is valid if you buy it in europe, see more here
- Wouldn't know about porting apps, don't have the knowledge, sorry
- Battery life is n900 x 2 i would say
- Changing the battery on your own should be possible, google it
- Yes you can, did mine with a MicroSIM cutter, works fine

The Following User Says Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by D.Cent View Post
1- I live in Germany - so what about warranty in my country (e.g. if I import from Austria)?
2- Is porting applications to this phone much more difficult than porting to N900? Currently I use scratchbox on a openSUSE PC (e.g. to port xskat, brainparty, ...)
3- About the battery life - how good is the battery in comparison to N900?
4- Does the battery lose capacity from time to time? (Since I can't switch the battery, I would have to send the phone in every time)
5- Can I simply use my normal SIM card and cut the edges off so it fits into the MicroSIM slot?
6- The only thing I would miss is a FM transmitter, but that's not too important.
1. AFAIK, Nokia-Germany hasn't launched the N9 [they did the Lumias instead] thus, the Austrian warranty might not be applicable. Their International Warranty, if any, is a fallacy.

2. Do not know.

3. We get easily a day's life on 'normal' usage [feeds, email updates, surfing, games, shoots incl]. While it usually lasts around 30 hrs. under moderate use. That's pretty excellent actually.

4. The N9 being a fairly new product, no one could definitely know that, as yet. But DIY on it is surely not advisable. However, as I never had any issues with the iPhones - I guess it shouldn't be here as well.

5. Yes, I did that. Simply cut-off the plastic around the golden contacts thru my fiskers... and it worked. BTW, u don't need a Sim-cutter for this simple task.

6. There's an internet radio apps at the Ovi store - if that helps.

In the end, we'd buy this amazing phone for just one simple reason - it is a combination of great looks & a fluid UI experience. The N9 is gorgeous... a beauty in the hands, which is also pretty simple to use. That made sense to very many users around the globe who longed to break away from the iOS & Droids. And their black, grey, steel looking devices !

Qorax

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Radio
Off course a non-streaming Radio apps has also been developed, which worked for most. Pls read here:
http://my-meego.com/software/applica...Auto=488&faq=2

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
The simple problem with N9 is that it is not "mature", with much missing from the device. Battery, speed, and swipe are all good. Everything else is elementary with tiny fonts, security lock problems, tiny VKB and little apps.

Porting applications from Maemo5 is not straightforward due to incomplete Qt libraries. The GUI has to be re-done which is why we are not seeing a lot of Maemo5 apps ported to Harmattan.

The OP means an FM transmitter to broadcast audio to his car FM stereo. We probably won't be getting that.

Drive navigation has voice but no street names. This was a deal breaker for me and I returned the phone. It's really a shame.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
The OP means an FM transmitter to broadcast audio to his car FM stereo. We probably won't be getting that.
My bad, didn't get that.

However, why do we need our cellphones to do this?
I purchased a standalone one for AED 60 [$17] from Dubai. Has a 3" display, internal memory & takes a 32Gb SD card. I keep it permanently plugged into the car-lighter socket.

Qorax

Originally Posted by racerex View Post
Drive navigation has voice but no street names. This was a deal breaker for me and I returned the phone. It's really a shame.
Once again, do we really need this?
I didn't yet test the N9 GPS - actually I don't require that - my Garmin works just fine, which is again always in the car.

I guess it's all about personal choice. Thus, reflecting on the OP's query - "Would the N9 fit my needs?" - to me it does - perfectly.

Qorax

Honestly, I upgraded from the N900 to the N8 and then to the N9. The N9 is hands down the best phone I've ever used (including Galaxy SIIs and the iPhone, etc.) It simply does everything better, is an absolute joy to use and look at, and has enough apps to satisfy me. Whatever else I'll just use the web.
It's great and I don't regret it one bit, even without the HWKB.

The Following User Says Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post: