Notices

Here is my feedback on this new version:

After upgrading, verifying that the "Enable uSD swaps" was still checked and then rebooting, the current swap partition was /dev/mmcblk0p3 instead of the /dev/mmcblk1p2 or /dev/mmcblk1p3 partitions used by the previous FlopSwap version.

I verified again and the "Enable uSD swaps" was correctly checked.

Clicking on Fresh Swap did the job and refreshed the swap on /dev/mmcblk1p2 as expected.

After rebooting, the /dev/mmcblk0p3 partition was used again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by pierrem View Post
Here is my feedback on this new version:

I verified again and the "Enable uSD swaps" was correctly checked.

Clicking on Fresh Swap did the job and refreshed the swap on /dev/mmcblk1p2 as expected.
After rebooting, the /dev/mmcblk0p3 partition was used again
Hmm .. sorry are having trouble. Thank you for reporting, had you used FlopSwap 0.0.6 with no issues?

Lets start debugging with...
Code:
blkid | grep swap
dpkg-query -W -f='${Version}\n' upstart
cat /etc/default/mount-opts-overwrite
cat /etc/default/mount-opts
cat /etc/fstab
and CSSU and Kernel version too.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Hmm .. sorry are having trouble. Thank you for reporting, had you used FlopSwap 0.0.6 with no issues?
no need to be sorry
You are the one providing a useful tool, I'm just an annoying user, specially with the specific status of my N900 as you will discover at the end of this reply.

Other than that, 0.0.6 was working like a charm

blkid | grep swap :
this gives me the 3 swap partitions mmcblk1p2, mmcblk1p3 and mmcblk0p3 in this order

dpkg-query -W -f='${Version}\n' upstart:
0.3.8-68+0cssu6

cat /etc/default/mount-opts-overwrite:
swap_sd="1"

cat /etc/default/mount-opts:
home_opts="rw,noatime,errors=continue,commit=1,dat a=writeback"
fat_opts="noauto,nodev,exec,nosuid,noatime,nodirat ime,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask =000,rodir"

cat /etc/fstab: file is generated by /etc/event.d/rcS-late and /usr/lib/genfstab.awk
the only swap partition defined here is /dev/mmcblk0p3

and CSSU and Kernel version too:
KP52
and because of a reboot loop caused by the latest system-services package (0.3.8-68-0cssu6) I did not installed this package. So everything is from CSSU 8.2+thumb1 except for system-services which is version 0.3.8-68+0cssu1.
This may be the cause of my issue, and therefore unrelated to FlopSwap new version, but despite several attempt to debug it, I can't find the reason of this reboot loop. So I would understand if you don't want to spend time on this, given my peculiar situation.

Last edited by pierrem; 2013-10-06 at 23:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pierrem View Post
because of a reboot loop caused by the latest system-services package (0.3.8-68-0cssu6) I did not installed this package. So everything is from CSSU 8.2+thumb1 except for system-services which is version 0.3.8-68+0cssu1.
This may be the cause of my issue, and therefore unrelated to FlopSwap new version, but despite several attempt to debug it, I can't find the reason of this reboot loop. So I would understand if you don't want to spend time on this, given my peculiar situation.
I think your reboot loop maybe covered on the CSSU-Testing thread.

I didn't think it was possible to install upstart without system-services. I am amazed upstart is working without it.

From a quick look your upstart version is showing to FlopSwap as use the "new method" which is failing due to the fact system-services hasn't replaced your "rcS-late" or "mount-opts" files and therefore mount-opts is missing parts that FlopSwap's upstart script "relocateswap" need at boot.

If the script fails it falls back to "swapon -a", which in your odd hybrid upstart setup is only "0p3".

FYI upstart/system-services has been updated in CSSU-Devel to 0.3.8-68+0cssu7 which I have been using to test FlopSwap with. Maybe this version will not have boot loop but fix your FlopSwap issue.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
I have some trouble with new version.
If I choose to disable swap on sd at startup, I can't use it at all also if I press "Fresh Swap" button (it says operation failed).
If I activate swap on sd at startup, all three swaps are activated but I can't use "Fresh swap" and "Swap on device" (another operation failed).
Also if I activate swap with swapon command, the program's buttons don't function.
In all cases it's impossible to check status (calculating then operation failed), but flopswap can show the current swap.
No problem with version 0.6.

The Following User Says Thank You to Il_Principe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I think your reboot loop maybe covered on the CSSU-Testing thread.
I don't think so: I've read this thread all over since the big changes in upstart package, and none of the advices reported there made any differences. My debug sessions seem to show that the issue happen after the rcS.late script, but I can't manage to point precisely where it fails... any way that's OT here.

I didn't think it was possible to install upstart without system-services. I am amazed upstart is working without it.

From a quick look your upstart version is showing to FlopSwap as use the "new method" which is failing due to the fact system-services hasn't replaced your "rcS-late" or "mount-opts" files and therefore mount-opts is missing parts that FlopSwap's upstart script "relocateswap" need at boot.

If the script fails it falls back to "swapon -a", which in your odd hybrid upstart setup is only "0p3".
That's most certainly the explanation.

FYI upstart/system-services has been updated in CSSU-Devel to 0.3.8-68+0cssu7 which I have been using to test FlopSwap with. Maybe this version will not have boot loop but fix your FlopSwap issue.
Thanks, but I've just tried that and I'm back to my reboot loop

The Following User Says Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Il_Principe View Post
If I choose to disable swap on sd at startup, I can't use it at all also if I press "Fresh Swap" button (it says operation failed).
If I activate swap on sd at startup, all three swaps are activated but I can't use "Fresh swap" and "Swap on device" (another operation failed).
Also if I activate swap with swapon command, the program's buttons don't function.
In all cases it's impossible to check status (calculating then operation failed), but flopswap can show the current swap.
No problem with version 0.6.
"Disable swap on uSD at startup" has now slightly changed roles.
Flopswap will basically not function without it checked, depending on your version of upstart.
It is now a button that is still hanging around from previous versions for my personal debugging reasons, disabling Flopswap's upstart files and backwards compatibility.

"Check status" will always work it's "cat /proc/swaps" on a banner.
If multiple swaps or no swaps are active at any point Flopswap will show "Operation Failed" on all buttons except "Check Status".

Does all work fine with the checkbox enabled?
If not...
Code:
blkid | grep swap       -- (may need root)
dpkg-query -W -f='${Version}\n' upstart
cat /etc/default/mount-opts-overwrite
cat /etc/default/mount-opts
cat /etc/fstab

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2013-10-08 at 15:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
New FlopSwap build loaded to build queue

Code:
flopswap (0.1.1) unstable; urgency=low

* Added Spinbox and QSetting for Swap Used Warning threshold
This small update makes the percentage threshold of the warning dialog variable via QSettings. Default is set to 94% (which was the non variable value), range is 70-100%.

New combobox can be found in the updated settings dialog.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Ok, my /proc/swaps looks ok:

Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/mmcblk1p2 partition 683000 85804 -1

but look at my /proc/partitions:

major minor #blocks name

7 0 3145728 loop0
179 0 15558144 mmcblk0
179 1 14191600 mmcblk0p1
179 2 683008 mmcblk0p2
179 3 683008 mmcblk0p3
179 8 31264768 mmcblk1
179 9 28315648 mmcblk1p1
179 10 2097152 mmcblk1p2
179 11 786432 mmcblk1p3

So my 16GB SD card is now on mmcblk0? And I am swapping to mmcblk1p2? How'd that happen? Where is the swap actually?

Meanwhile Conky correctly reports the intended (SD card) swap size, i.e. 667 MB. Fresh Swap on Flopswap also goes through.
Interestingly, my partitions now look like this:

$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

179 8 15558144 mmcblk1
179 9 14191600 mmcblk1p1
179 10 683008 mmcblk1p2
179 11 683008 mmcblk1p3
179 0 31264768 mmcblk0
179 1 28315648 mmcblk0p1
179 2 2097152 mmcblk0p2
179 3 786432 mmcblk0p3
254 0 3145728 dm-0

Why is loop0 now dm-0?

Related or not, I can't make "device storage" visible in Windows via USB. umount refuses to unmount MyDocs. The SD card is visible. (EDIT: this seems to happen after connecting N900 to Windows XP and then ejecting it in Windows. So it doesn't seem to be related, or at least it's not caused by, Flopswap)

Related or not, the camera keeps defaulting to card storage. I tell it to store to device but it goes back, after a reboot I think.

Using CSSU stable now. Not updated Flopswap to the very recent yet.

Last edited by chill; 2014-05-14 at 20:52. Reason: added findings related to "device storage"

Why is loop0 now dm-0?
https://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian#C....2C_xfs.2C_etc.
I can't make "device storage" visible in Windows via USB. umount refuses to unmount MyDocs. The SD card is visible.
Can't see how is related, FlopSwap only reads swap spaces.
The camera keeps defaulting to card storage. I tell it to store to device but it goes back, after a reboot I think.
Code:
home/user/.config/user-dirs.dirs
missing?
Using CSSU stable now. Not updated Flopswap to the very recent yet.
Which exact version of FlopSwap are you using, if 0.1.0 the changes are minor to 0.1.1.
In all off the above you haven't said if FlopSwap works

I don't mind helping if you have further questions to above but can we keep this thread on-topic, thanks

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber