Notices

Originally Posted by Amusegt1 View Post
You could input the barcode data into google shopping. I noticed quite a large number of barcodes are integrated into it. just input the number from the barcode in the search field and it will display relevant products. Just not locally.
i noticed this today. it's pretty neat. does anyone have the expertise to pull this off?

Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
i noticed this today. it's pretty neat. does anyone have the expertise to pull this off?
Actually I've been working on (in my copious spare time <g>) on a web project like this. My wife has prioritized this app so it is at the top of my "dev" queue so it should get into a operation state by the mid to end of next month.

I have been working on it mostly every night. This is pretty similar so I don't think it would be hard to allow a n900 app to query the data based on a location (it is already using Lat/Long and zip code data to categorize stores data).

The largest issue is that for a project like this to work; people have to actually PUT in good data.

I do plan on have a n900 specific interface (that works with the barcode) since I love my n900. But the first release will require you to type in the Barcode -- since my focus is getting the web site working properly.

Nathan

That's really cool. Keep us updated! Do you need any help??

Nathan, any progress on your barcode app/website?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I think the hardest part of this is acquiring the data... unless you can get local stores to give you a daily updated database of UPC and prices it'll be hard. It's easier on the web because sites voluntarily give up that data (to Google or MSN shopping or whoever) because they are all on the web anyway. Local stores benefit from making it more difficult for their customers to comparison shop.

LOL, no -- my wife wanted me to finish something else first. So once I get her "pet" project done; I'll be working on it again.

Nathan

haha thanks for the update. I'm sure it will be great when it's done!

I just saw this thread and thought I should notify you that mbarcode has been updated a lot lately, and the newest version in extras-devel has a plugin which lets you search for the barcode you've scanned online. I just included Froogle and UPC Database in the default searches now, and you might add your own custom searches as well.

There is no native interface to see price comparisons as of yet, but the plugin interface for mbarcode is fairly simple, and I hope someone with the time and skill will create a plugin to do this. We have not yet made a tutorial on how to do this, but I'll make one soon. I might have a look at a Amazon plugin too, but I'm not sure if I'll get the time to include other price searches. In any case, this won't happen in the first couple of weeks.

If you want to join forces in making a full-featured barcode app for N900, we are more than happy to do so

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Hey dragly,

Thanks for the post! I'll definitely check it out. Are you the developer? Do you need help with GUI design?

I'm one of two active developers. The other is lardman here on the forums. We are probably going to do some GUI enhancements in newer versions - specifically while scanning. I think we'll try out true full screen scanning with some icon overlays, and I guess we could need some help there if that's what we are going for. On everything else in the application, there is also room for improvement. Both on the design in general and by freshening it up with some icons and alike.

What kind of design work do you do, Spyder?

Tags
bar code, price matching, upc