Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
PR1.3 for N900 finally released

The latest update to Maemo 5 has been rolling out to N900s around the world. Largely expected to be the final big update from Nokia for the N900, it
adds Ovi Suite support to your N900 and makes it even easier to access and sync files and messages between your device and your desktop. In addition, we’ve added hundreds of tweaks and fixes that will make your N900 run faster and smoother than ever.
It also ships with Qt 4.7 (including Qt Mobility), which will be important for developers wanting to deliver applications across MeeGo, Maemo and Symbian. Criticism has been forthcoming for seemingly valid patches from the community being ignored (see bug #7190) and the latest versions of key software like hildon-desktop languishing on gitorious, rather than being shipped in this (almost certainly) final update.

However, the community (mainly in the form of Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh) has already stepped up with a "community update" repository which brings in further updates on top of PR1.3. Mohammad is in final testing (having liaised with Niels Breet to get it set up on maemo.org) and should be announcing something this week.

MeeGo 1.1 released

Quality, time, features. Agile methodologies tell you to pick two because one has to vary in the Real World. MeeGo have chosen the first two and so, their first six monthly release has come out for netbooks, handsets and in-vehicle devices (IVI). Rafe Blandford of All About MeeGo opens his in-depth article; with screenshots from each "UX":
The MeeGo project reached an important milestone today with the release of MeeGo 1.1. It aims to create a solid baseline for both manufacturers and developers to devices and software across a broad range of categories (netbook, handset, and IVI) across both the ARMv7 and Intel Atom chipset architectures. The current MeeGo releases remain mainly of interest to device manufacturers, developers and those wishing to take an early look at MeeGo before it arrives on commercial devices.

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • PR1.3 for N900 finally released
    • MeeGo 1.1 released
  2. Development
    • Autobuilder updated to PR1.3 SDK
    • Nokia tidies up developer story: Qt Quick & Components
    • Ready to kick tires of MeeGo app development? QtComponents for MeeGo on Ubuntu
    • ...and 3 more
  3. Community
    • bugs.maemo.org/id working as URL shortcut
    • Help ensure the MeeGo community (and project) is on the right track
  4. Devices
    • Demo of MeeGo/Maemo dual-boot
  5. Maemo in the Wild
    • Sprint (US mobile network) supporting MeeGo
    • Nokia's end-user focused blog on MeeGo 1.1
    • Qt Quick proof-of-concept on iOS 4
  6. Announcements
    • MaePadWeb for editing MaePad entries from PCs

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
PR1.3 for N900 finally released

However, the community (mainly in the form of Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh) has already stepped up with a "community update" repository which brings in further updates on top of PR1.3. Mohammad is in final testing (having liaised with Niels Breet to get it set up on maemo.org) and should be announcing something this week.
i wonder what exactly it is going to be. will it be community managed firmware update or more hacks and apps from him. either way i am thankful to him.

Maemo in the Wild
  • Sprint (US mobile network) supporting MeeGo
  • Nokia's end-user focused blog on MeeGo 1.1
  • Qt Quick proof-of-concept on iOS 4
Perhaps it's time to rename this section to something more general? Plain "in the wild" will do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
i wonder what exactly it is going to be. will it be community managed firmware update or more hacks and apps from him.
That's really up to the community isn't it? If you want to contribute don't be shy!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Sounds interesting, i wondering how this is going to be?.

Wating for news about this.

Grettings

MWN used to show up in my feed reader, but it hasn't in a while. Is the feed broken?

Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
i wonder what exactly it is going to be. will it be community managed firmware update or more hacks and apps from him. either way i am thankful to him.
I think it will be a mix of both. But i dont know if it is possible to make a community firmware.

Originally Posted by smoothc View Post
But i dont know if it is possible to make a community firmware.
Not in the sense of a flashable FIASCO image containing the entire OS (including proprietary stuff with no licence to redistribute), but so what? Apt updates on top of the official image work just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
MWN used to show up in my feed reader, but it hasn't in a while. Is the feed broken?
It has lots of content, but doesn't seem quite right. A bit of breakage has crept in, which I've now fixed:

http://www.mwkn.net/issues.rss

Let me know if you have any more problems.

GeneralAntilles will be doing live issue creation on Sunday evening at the Conference. If you're in Dublin around 8pm, let me know and come along to either help out, provide moral support or see what happens:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65465

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
mwkn_issue, news_digest