Notices

I have succeeded in getting the maps application to load and parse the speech config.xml and to play the sounds in order using the html5 audio tag. It does require renaming the files to .wav. I'm now going to try to fill in the context object using real data on updatePosition.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by CormacB View Post
I have succeeded in getting the maps application to load and parse the speech config.xml and to play the sounds in order using the html5 audio tag. It does require renaming the files to .wav. I'm now going to try to fill in the context object using real data on updatePosition.
Good effort!

Is it worth considering symlinks instead of renaming the files?

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
Wait another day and I'll upload the current version I'm using. I just need to test it a few more times on the road to make sure its running correctly. The one in the first post is outdated.
Looking forward to it -- thanks for all the hard work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Aaagh, maps stopped working so I undid all my recent changes, and now it is still not working!!! It justs hangs at the loading screen. Debugging this stuff is a complete nightmare

The Following User Says Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post:
I had to copy my JS into index.html instead of using an external script for some reason, even though it worked before

Anyway I have attached my current version of index.html. It uses the nokia english voice directions.

Instructions:
1. back up /usr/share/nokia-maps/index.html and gunzip the attached file and put it there.
2. download the english language zip file linked to a few pages back and unzip it into /usr/share/nokia-maps/html. You should then have a english folder with a config.xml in it and and an english_male subfolder with a bunch of files.
3. rename (or create symlinks) these files so they all have .wav extensions. You can do this quickly by run this in this english_male folder: for f in *; do mv $f $f.wav; done
4 now start maps and route to somewhere and you should start getting spoken directions!

Issues:
Evaluation of config.xml logic is certainly buggy and incomplete. Time and distance calculation is very rough. I don't know how to tell if you are approaching the end of the street. The "on highway" status is not implemented yet. Only english is supported right now as I'm not sure where to get the language from. Maps seems to use language codes e.g. en_gb but file sound files are name by the full language name and I don't want to have to maintain a mapping.

I basically haven't tested this at all, so don't try it if you are relying on Maps. Any feedback on what specific situations it gets wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: gz index.html.gz (226.3 KB, 853 views)

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post:
cormacb: have you encountered any instances of maneuver at end of street yet. I'm not sure its being used correctly in the original code as I can't find a reference to it being set.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
thanks CormacB for Instructions

but it's not work for me !!

The Following User Says Thank You to osama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by CormacB View Post
2. download the english language zip file linked to a few pages back and unzip it into /usr/share/nokia-maps/html. You should then have a english folder with a config.xml in it and and an english_male subfolder with a bunch of files.
I can't find the english language zip file. Could you please put me link where to find it?

The Following User Says Thank You to kopla For This Useful Post:
Argh, after some actual testing this is not working right at all. Somehow it only works for the road outside my office.

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
cormacb: have you encountered any instances of maneuver at end of street yet. I'm not sure its being used correctly in the original code as I can't find a reference to it being set.
Nope, and I think one would have to decipher the map data to find the end of a street.