Notices

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Hey guys, anyone care to hook up Web Design Study Materials. Much appreaciated

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Hm, what do you mean by "Web Design"?

Really designing in Photoshop or so, or building a Template by HTML & CSS?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
To learn how to create webpages:

http://www.alistapart.com/

Jeffrey Zeldmans website. Probably one of the biggest promoters of the W3C web standards.

http://960.gs/

Practical fluid CSS layout templates. Just study the source code to learn.

http://www.csszengarden.com/

Old but still relevant showcase gallery based upon a single piece of text, resulting in hundreds of sometimes very different designs.

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Overview.en.html

CSS overview from W3C.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Validate the code you have written and learn.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Thanx guys

@Leinad, I meant I wanna study how to design a Website from scratch, have no clue how, I'm just doing Graphic Design at the moment

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Read up on HTML and CSS.
The modern way is HTML for basics and CSS for layout and pretty things.
w3.org is a good source to reference to.

Also have a look at some source files, save a page to your machine and open with text editor.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Download netbeans php edition, firebug and wampserver (if you're using windows) and get a book about html/css. Also inkscape.

Then start by trying things out. You'll find moder browsers to be rather forgiving.

You can also give jQuery a shot if you want to create effects and gui's easily.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
@Muzimak,

I believe, like sixwheeledbeast (If I understood him, correctly), that real and usefull webdesign is to be found in code, html and css, rather than in Photoshop/Gimp or anything like that. Basically you need two things: A basic and simple text editor for code (Gedit or Notepad or anything like that) and the willingness and time to put your brains to it. As a generalisation; The webs best pages are usually not built with graphical tools but from code.

Basically, HTML and CSS will allow you to build as flexible and versatile as possible, whereas graphical programs will eventually be a drag to convert them to html/css and have them display and behave well on a as wide as possible range of devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Please don't mix up 2 totally different things, this is, why i asked:

There is one "creative" part and one "technical" part, normally not done by the same person.

Design is usually done in Photoshop (or something similar), and this is absolutely ok! A designer creates a PSD and sends it to a developer. The developer then builds Code (HTML, CSS, JS) to make the site look exactly (more or less) like the PSD

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Please don't mix up 2 totally different things, this is, why i asked:

There is one "creative" part and one "technical" part, normally not done by the same person.

Design is usually done in Photoshop (or something similar), and this is absolutely ok! A designer creates a PSD and sends it to a developer. The developer then builds Code (HTML, CSS, JS) to make the site look exactly (more or less) like the PSD
While that is true, it is also true that such a way is not the best one to learn for a beginner. That is how the internet ended up with all those horribly designed and programmed webpages. Impossible to load, impossible to view without scrollbars everywhere and so on.

For a beginner, to learn how to build webpages, start simple and extend once you grasped the basics. Hence the focus on code in my previous reactions.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
I really impressed in Mr. anthonie, and his commitment.all question mr.anthonie solved in a prapor way.
thank you.