Active Topics

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
There are two historical reasons why magnets and computers don't mix. One is that computers have typically had magnetic storage devices like floppy disks and hard disks. The other is that magnets placed near a CRT screen could misdirect the electron beam, causing it to hit another part of the screen than that intended, resulting a lovely, usually temporary, rainbow effect. The Nokia IT uses solid state flash for storage and a LCD screen for display purposes. Neither should be able to be affected by a few small magnets. Of course, if you bring you IT with you to have a MRI taken, it is liable to become a projectile
Ah ok that's cool! And lol, @ the projectile thing. I've heard many wierd and wonderful stories related to that.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
That could be a Duke Nukem Forever "coming soon"
Actually, Duke Nukem might be with us before this case. This case is essential for the unprotected N800 - absolutely nuts to keep it back this long.

Reggie - any chance of an update? Got any contacts at Nokia?

A smashed or damaged N800 screen is not covered by the warranty - I doubt I could use Nokia's tardiness bringing this protective case to market as an excuse!

So with this so called "case" whats it suppose to do when the everyday use comes around of o lets say it drops??? Someone posted a hardcase that fits the N800 i still think thats going to be the best bet.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Horses for courses.

I want something that protects the screen without adding bulk and am prepared to trust my cat-like reflexes, while others may want something that gives all round protection with the inevitable addition of bulk/weight.

The latter group seem to be well catered for with more-or-less fitting cases designed for other devices, however the custom Nokia job still isn't available after 6 weeks. If you want a hard case, don't let me stop ya!

I got a DS case and took out the plastic insert, but now, since Nokia saw fit to make a device with no way to attach anything to it, I can't see a good way of fastening the device inside the case. Any thoughts on that?

I modified the Nintendo DS case and like the results. Instead of completely removing the plastic - I trimmed it down so the N800 is supported on the bottom and sides. The plastic side supports slightly cover the speakers - but no problem. I also cut out the wrist strap and use the two elastic straps to store the extra stylus. It slides out easily and enables the N800 to stay in the case fo r most use. This way when the N800 is in the case - I use the extra stylus. When I remove the unit from the case - the main stylus is always in the N800.

The last thing I did was removed the thread from the crappy Nokia case - trimmed it to fit inside the Nintendo case and glued it to the inside so the soft inside of the Nokia case covers the screen when the case is closed.

The result is what appears to be a rough but almost custom looking case for the N800.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
I use a PDA case from Case Logic (PDA holder plastic removed) and fixed my N800 with a Velcro strip above the back cover (the thickest point...). This works quite reliable, it so strong that I use the stylus to peel it off. Could optimize the width/length of the strip...

Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=144920
but it's still only a pre-order, with no price listed.

I also tried the Nintendo DS case - with the plastic internal holder trimmed to cover only the lower corners, it fits remarkably well. Here's how it looks in the packaging from BestBuy:

It isn't much larger than the suede case:

The outer material has a cushion quality to it, but there are actually stiff inserts inside. The back pocket can hold a pair of earphones, but it will be tight:

The N800 fits nicely inside:

Here's a closer look at how you can trim the corner to hold the N800 snugly:

It's an excellent case for about $11.

Aloha,
-Jeff Mings

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffmings For This Useful Post: