Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by qole View Post
elschemm: What repositories do you have enabled?

As far as I can see, e2fsprogs is not available for Diablo, so you either have Chinook repositories enabled, my repository, or the debfarm repository.
Hmm. Looks like I do have
repository.maemo.org/ chinook free non-free

I wonder when that got added!

I also have catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified
and catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified but I suspect the one above is where it downloaded it from.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hooray! qwerty12 is going to fix the problem.

Hi Empire and D'ohboy:

Here is a new step-by-step, using the new scripts that I've written since that old how-to. These steps replace #2 to #5.

1. Gain root.
Code:
sudo su -
2. Mount your image file on /floppy (put the name of your image file in the command, if it is different than the one I use):
Code:
qmount /media/mmc2/debian-squeeze.img.ext2 /floppy
3. Mount your empty partition on /opt (use the correct partition here):
Code:
qmount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /opt
4. Copy all the files from your image file to the partition:
Code:
tar cf - -C /floppy . | tar xvf - -C /opt
5. Unmount everything:
Code:
qumount /floppy
qumount /opt
You don't need to reboot anymore.
You still have to point your .chroot file to the new partition as in the howto above.

(EDIT: I'm just doing this procedure in reverse right now, for my new Easy Mer. I've set everything up in a partition, now I'm copying it all into an image file for distribution.)
After that and the .chroot edit above it still boots to the img. The partition its all on is on 1 partition and the only partition

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Empire: Make sure you have properly edited the .chroot file. There are some lines that start with # and these are just examples. The # makes those lines into "comments", and they are ignored by Easy Debian. Find the IMGFILE line with no # at the beginning and make sure it says =/dev/mmcblk.... something ...

If it does, try
Code:
sudo closechroot
sudo debian
and post the results.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elschemm View Post
Hmm. Looks like I do have
repository.maemo.org/ chinook free non-free

I wonder when that got added!
FYI: Don't use the Chinook e2fsprogs with the latest Diablo. I am 90% certain that is what caused a reboot loop. It's the only thing I can think of that I changed between the error and the last EasyDebian reboot.

I just spent the last 24 hours re-installing everything. Bummer.

Interesting! The e2fsprogs that I just promoted (with qwerty12's help) into the Diablo repositories are the same version as the ones in the Chinook repositories. I can only hope that there's no problems there (especially since I plan to make them a dependency!)...

Thank you! It works! The problem was the sample config had # before everything.

A question:
I have been able to download and install a whole bunch of the development libs that I need. They all installed in /usr/lib. There are a couple that I use that I need to compile by hand (which works, BTW), but they install in /usr/local/lib.

It looks like Easy Debian is only set up to search for stuff in /lib and /usr/lib. I've been trying to find the correct config file to change to add to that path, but I'm not having any luck.
So far I've tried .profile in my home and roots home directory, /etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc, and roots .bashrc. No joy.

I can get changes to take effect in the osso-xterm by putting them in the /home/user/.profile, but these do not seem to be inherited by Easy Debian. Does anyone know the correct place to make these additions in Easy Debian.

Update:
You did too good of a job qole! I forgot this was a chroot! Chroots don't inherit permissions from their pre-chroot parent and don't (at least yours doesn't) run any kind of login script, they just 'show up' with a root prompt at the top of the chroot tree.
So, now on to discover how/who Nokia/packager does their chroot. Some versions can be persuaded to pass in a new $PATH at chroot. And/or always run a certain program (like a login shell).

Also, should anyone else feel the need to roll their own, the debian chroot system does have /etc/ld.so.conf (well, actually it's in ld.so.conf.d) set up for /usr/local/lib in ldconfig, but it since it was never run and/or (not sure with debian) /usr/local/lib was empty, it doesn't look there. Re-running ldconfig fixes that problem.

Last edited by elschemm; 2009-06-03 at 20:07.

Easy Debian Without The Apps:

For those who want the only the basic Debian system, you can do things manually. "Easy Debian" without the "Easy"
Here is my minimum Debian file system: basic-debian-chroot-fs.tar.bz2 (54MB download)

This is the filesystem I used to build the current Easy Debian package on. It has all of the repositories and basic system packages in place.

You can either put this into a partition, or you can grab the empty image file, extract it to your SD card (eg, /media/mmc1), and then, as root, mount it like so (so you get the turbo speed):
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-mod.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-loop.ko
dmlosetup loop0 /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2
mount -t ext2 /dev/dm-0 /debian -o noatime
I ma trying to install the empty debian using the instructions above but I have a problem trying to run the moutn command. I simply get this:

Code:
Nokia-N810-43-7:/media/mmc1# mount -t ext2 /dev/dm-0 /debian -o noatime
mount: mounting /dev/dm-0 on /debian failed
I'm not sure where to go from here - if there are any tips you could provide, I would be most grateful .

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil:

Use this command to mount image files now (it uses my newer scripts):

Code:
qmount /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2 /debian
Replace "/media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2" with the name of your image file.

You don't need to do any of the insmod stuff, nor do you have to do the dmlosetup line.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice