Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@livefreeordie: most likely they'd buy (and keep) it only if it works for them though. so the bias isn't an illogical one.

but.. not all capacitive screens are created equal.

Originally Posted by mjc View Post
"It doesn't support Java, but it does support full Flash"

Really, no Java?
I thought microb enables you to turn JavaScript on or off? Did I miss something?

I find capacitive touch screen typing in landscape mode with auto correct to be light years better then full qwerty keys.. It's just easier to lightly tap the screen instead of physically pressing buttons.

Maybe it's just me.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@livefreeordie: most likely they'd buy (and keep) it only if it works for them though. so the bias isn't an illogical one.
Not on a personal level, but when recommending devices to others you should really be up front about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
I thought microb enables you to turn JavaScript on or off? Did I miss something?
Java not JavaScript.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@livefreeordie: yes, that is very true.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It is very weird that they didn't include Java (so far)...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Thanks very much raphb!

Some of the negs:
To be fair, the post is much more than some kind of compare with iPhone, and he states in honesty that he is an iPhone user thus allowing the reader to take this into account.

Here is a positive quote:

The N900 excels at task switching, the communication apps are good enough, and music playback and photo browsing are better than on any previous Nokia.
Text input is still hugely neglected by everyone, Nokia included.
Strange comment. N810 and N900 have hardware keyboard.

The marketing people at Nokia are obsessed with photo sharing on the web, perhaps because the expensive marketing consultants they hire tell them that. Or focus groups are loaded to "rich media". But the "content" that most of users "generate" is text.
We see a shift in trend, pictures saying a thousand words became more popular last years.

Also, users receive more than they sent. The difference between the two differs per individual, but its always true.

Nokia is very coy about battery life, but says the N900 should fulfill the goal of getting through a day. Talktime, I was told, should be comparable to other high end devices. I'll be astonished if that's true. Nokia's own E71 sets such a high standard here for the entire mobile industry, I can't imagine how an OpenGL device pushing five times as many pixels around is going to get close.
The hardware isn't the same, the target segment isn't the same, heck the software isn't the same either.

The browser is based on Mozilla. It's much improved on earlier versions, and the performance here brings it into the Android and iPhone class. But somewhere near the back of the class, where the slow children sit. It doesn't feel quite as slick at loading pages or scrolling as these rivals - while you really need a heavy site to slow down the 3GS, but my dusty personal archive (http://andreworlowski.com) took about 20 seconds to load on the N900, which felt like ages.
This experience comes from using 3G or WLAN? I read elsewhere that WLAN on NokiaWorld was slow. Did he compare the iPhone 3GS on same time? He doesn't say so.

It doesn't support Java, but it does support full Flash, so YouTube works fine. It's stolen some of the iPhone's gestures (double tap to zoom) and a really wacky one where you corkscrew clockwise to (slowly) zoom, or anti-clockwise to zoom out.
Double tap or double click (middle mouse button) has been around for ages to perform a different task on the area pointer device points at, as has zooming in. Its only logical to allow focus in this way because the first way of pointer device (dragging around) is already used to scroll around, while the second one (single tap) is used to click a hyperlink. I'm not sure Apple invented this, maybe they innovated it as so many other things (first to bring succesfully on market). Do they have a patent on it? Anyone know this?

The always-on data capability ensures that. A few may opt for the N900 as a primary phone - perhaps people who don't make too many phone calls.
Why? Is the device not good for large contact lists or phoning?

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
He forgot the rabid open source community as a market :P With openmoko appearing to be a no-starter, I suspect the n900 may compare quite favorably with many android devices.
Yes, and many other aspects weren't covered. Like GPS, camera, and accelerometer...

I guess videos are way better serving as review than written text. Maemo needs support to upload to Youtube. Hopefully that isn't too kinky for mr. Orlowski

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I find capacitive touch screen typing in landscape mode with auto correct to be light years better then full qwerty keys.. It's just easier to lightly tap the screen instead of physically pressing buttons.

Maybe it's just me.
Which capacitive touch screen are you referring to?

Both text input methods take time to get used to; learning curve.

When I write something I sometimes want to read or see what I'm replying to during writing. Full focus allows better focus and less distraction but has also its disadvantages.

Same for virtual keyboard. A virtual keyboard takes away a considerable part of the screen. Especially in landscape mode this is irritating me. while in portrait mode I make too many mistakes on input keys (experience comes from iPod touch).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by sevla View Post

Maybe it's just me.
don't worry, it's not just you... many think so.
i like to feel the buttons. i can type without look to the buttons or screen. thats not possible with the iphone (at least it wasn't for me after trying many many times). also it's waaaaay faster.