Hey there, would any one have a deb of the GarnetVm for N900? Of course all old links are dead on the forum.

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I've sent you a private message

Small issue, Replied =}

issue solved?

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
What old palmOS apps are still relevant in 2022?
I can only imagine some sort of offline calculators.
The great thing about those old apps is they were self contained and did not expect live internet access but maybe updating a database when synced.

Games!? ...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The best calculator I have ever used was VisualCalc for PalmOS. To this day unsurpassed by anything I have ever tried.

Another very useful and very well implemented PalmOS app I used was Woman, a menstrual calendar. The Jolla attempt is a sad joke in comparison. It even has an utterly useless fork, whose only contribution is to make it more politically correct instead of adding any useful feature.

The clock/calendar app I used is also unsurpassed. Each alarm entry was completely independent and could be set with its own sound, reminder (to an arbitrary precision, like 2 days, 17 hours and 23 minutes before the event), reminder frequency (like every 5 hours and 30 minutes) and the number of times the reminder would run. Oh and the alarm could launch any application, turn the radio on/off and download a weather or currency rates update. I feel severely restricted every time I have to use some "modern" alarm clock app.

All of these are nearly 20 years old. Just think about it: no one has managed to beat something written 20 years ago.

I have also used some commercial chess app, I forgot its name but it was excellent. And a dictionary app, also commercial. I am happy to believe that better variants exist today; I would not know, I no longer have any need for them.

But the biggest strength on PalmOS was its PIM (Personal Information Management). Show me one "modern" address book app that can organize contacts into categories (family, school mates, college mates, university mates, ex-colleagues from each past employment, business contacts, hotels...). Also, show me one "modern" address book that does not randomly duplicate entries or create multiple copies of the same phone number in one entry. Just for that alone, I have been seriously considering moving back to PalmOS several times.

On top of that, though this is probably a Treo specific feature rather than PalOS as such, the entire UI was superbly designed, like someone spend countless agonizing months considering every tiny detail, used it extensively every day and redesigned any detail the moment they found it caused even a tiny bit of inconvenience. In comparison, "modern" UIs are designed for form rather than function and convenience. This is an aspect the younger users may never fully appreciate, as they are used to the "modern" design style and do not know any better.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
As an example, since this is in the Fremantle section of the forum and the N900 users may be familiar with this.

On N900, switching the keyboard between the alpha and numeric modes, the position of the dot/decimal point key changes. Why??? On Treo, it stayed in the same place. Just a tiny detail that costs nothing to implement right that makes a HUGE difference in the user experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: