Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,066 | Thanked: 1,159 times | Joined on Aug 2011
#1
Hello,

I want to run Strings command in my terminal on my N9.

I don't want to install this package to have strings.

binutils_2.19.51.20090709-0maemo10+0m6_armel.deb

It's a little big for me.

Anybody can share only Strings application please? little file...


Thank you
 

The Following User Says Thank You to n950 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,157 | Thanked: 10,034 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#2
Originally Posted by n950 View Post
Hello,

I want to run Strings command in my terminal on my N9.
I don't want to install this package to have strings.
binutils_2.19.51.20090709-0maemo10+0m6_armel.deb
It's a little big for me.
Anybody can share only Strings application please? little file...
Thank you

Sharing just the binary file might not be enough. As it is linked against a bunch of libraries it might well be that at least some of those libs are installed from binutils package...

Code:
~ $ 
~ $ which strings
/usr/bin/strings
~ $ 
~ $ ldd /usr/bin/strings
	libbfd-2.19.51.20090709.so => /usr/lib/libbfd-2.19.51.20090709.so (0x3aabc000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x411e8000)
	libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x41408000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x41180000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x41030000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x41000000)
~ $
 
Posts: 1,066 | Thanked: 1,159 times | Joined on Aug 2011
#3
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Sharing just the binary file might not be enough. As it is linked against a bunch of libraries it might well be that at least some of those libs are installed from binutils package...

Code:
~ $ 
~ $ which strings
/usr/bin/strings
~ $ 
~ $ ldd /usr/bin/strings
	libbfd-2.19.51.20090709.so => /usr/lib/libbfd-2.19.51.20090709.so (0x3aabc000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x411e8000)
	libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x41408000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x41180000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x41030000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x41000000)
~ $

Can you copy all these files and upload them here please?
If i copy them into good DIR it will work?
 

The Following User Says Thank You to n950 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,157 | Thanked: 10,034 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#4
Originally Posted by n950 View Post
Can you copy all these files and upload them here please?
If i copy them into good DIR it will work?
Libraries are something you should copy in correct places in the system (usually /lib/, /usr/lib/, /lib64/, something like that) and then run a special library maintanance tool to update system dependencies.

However, is is possible you already have them, you'll never know
Here's the strings binary, just for fun; http://www.swagman.org/juice/strings

It might work or not. If it doesn't, then you need some libraries to go with it.
 
Posts: 1,066 | Thanked: 1,159 times | Joined on Aug 2011
#5
What others command on harmattan can replace Strings? and put same thing.

EDIT:

It's ok now installed

Last edited by n950; 2017-03-13 at 10:41.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to n950 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
#6
Try
Code:
egrep -ao '[[:print:]]{4,}' /path/to/file
, should pretty well emulate strings.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:56.