Active Topics

 



Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 130 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Toronto, Canada
#101
ooh, ooh

I vote for the name "MaemoVA" Maemo Voice Assistant.

Ya know, if we're gonna change the name at all. (But Saera is fine, although Apple did sue Samsung over S Voice)
 
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
#102
Originally Posted by Rabah_vip View Post
Waw you are so polit. Why you don't try to find any way to run this application for the nokia n9 if your are a smart ..hhhh
way rubbish !:confused :
 
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
#103
Originally Posted by Rabah_vip View Post
Waw you are so polit. Why you don't try to find any way to run this application for the nokia n9 if your are a smart ..hhhh
Why don't you get a clue first, for example by reading the whole thread, before simply chiming in here and just stating your demands? (that btw were already "offered" by others and answered)
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 692 | Thanked: 2,401 times | Joined on Apr 2012
#104
Originally Posted by imo View Post
how about a video presntation of saera ? so that one can really write a big blog for its advertisement .hopefully it hit the repos today and some one once again hails N900 with siri.I believe tags would be quite interesting.
Idea : taixzo would it be possible if saera could manage to answer simple questions ( with modrana affiliation )
queries like :
where is the center of the earth ?
where i am right now ?
And also :
any funny talks ?
cracking any jokes etc ?
playing a song ?
more to come . . .
I'll record a video when I can borrow another camera (I use my N900 as my main camera, but I don't think I can use it to take a video of itself!)
The other features are coming.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 460 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
#105
Originally Posted by SolarisSixth View Post
ooh, ooh

I vote for the name "MaemoVA" Maemo Voice Assistant.

Ya know, if we're gonna change the name at all. (But Saera is fine, although Apple did sue Samsung over S Voice)
That's good, because it's descriptive of what it does. Otherwise, you'd have to know what Saera or Siri or Ultra Hal did already to know if it was the solution to something you're looking for.

Does Saera require prefacing a command with the name "Saera"? I can see the advantage to a voice recognition device that must have its commands prefaced with its name, but also an issue with any voice recognition device that didn't allow the user to change the name. Prefacing a command with a name would be useful in busy environments, & being able to change the name would fix problems in environments for instance where you were talking with someone named "Sarah".
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 692 | Thanked: 2,401 times | Joined on Apr 2012
#106
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
That's good, because it's descriptive of what it does. Otherwise, you'd have to know what Saera or Siri or Ultra Hal did already to know if it was the solution to something you're looking for.

Does Saera require prefacing a command with the name "Saera"? I can see the advantage to a voice recognition device that must have its commands prefaced with its name, but also an issue with any voice recognition device that didn't allow the user to change the name. Prefacing a command with a name would be useful in busy environments, & being able to change the name would fix problems in environments for instance where you were talking with someone named "Sarah".
You don't need to prefix things with "Saera"; however, Pocketsphinx does recognize "sarah" (occasionally) whereas "maemo" is (a) not in the wordlist and (b) more OS-specific. I may or may not change the name later but for now I am just working on the functionality, so I will just leave it as it is.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
#107
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Well, if you can look at the source and make a list of translations of all the strings, that would be a big help. Once I have that I'll add a settings page to allow you to change your language.
I just checked the source files.

Since I cannot develop, I do not know if I change some words in the wrong place I will break the functionality.

Would not be a good approach to extract all the words and phrases that need translation to a separate file? In this way, only that file should be touched and nothing can go wrong.

If you think this is complicated or just not viable, please tell me if, for instance, I have to translate 'remind me' in:

Code:
elif input.startswith('remind me '):
And what about:

Code:
result = result.replace("I am.","Ay am.")
This makes no sense in Spanish.

I will wait for your answer before starting to 'play' with the source.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post:
aironeous's Avatar
Posts: 810 | Thanked: 774 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
#108
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
In the post right before yours.
Jarvis? Why?
Watch the Ironman movies, I'm just kidding around.
 
Posts: 958 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on May 2010
#109
to really make this powerful, some server side processing would be required i think.

iirc,
a) siri works by doing a lot of voice parsing at the server side
b) noise cancellation is done heavily on the iphone itself (a built-in chip to do this?)
c) answers are provided by wolfram alpha

i tried it yesterday night and it didn't recognize a single word i said. it doesn't help that my english accent is weird.

anyway keep up the good work taixzo!!!
 

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 692 | Thanked: 2,401 times | Joined on Apr 2012
#110
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
I just checked the source files.

Since I cannot develop, I do not know if I change some words in the wrong place I will break the functionality.

Would not be a good approach to extract all the words and phrases that need translation to a separate file? In this way, only that file should be touched and nothing can go wrong.

If you think this is complicated or just not viable, please tell me if, for instance, I have to translate 'remind me' in:

Code:
elif input.startswith('remind me '):
And what about:

Code:
result = result.replace("I am.","Ay am.")
This makes no sense in Spanish.

I will wait for your answer before starting to 'play' with the source.
I have been separating the strings to a separate file. The first example you give is a keyword; I will make a keywords file next. The second is just a hack to get espeak to put emphasis on the first word, and is unrelated to any processing.

to really make this powerful, some server side processing would be required i think.

iirc,
a) siri works by doing a lot of voice parsing at the server side
b) noise cancellation is done heavily on the iphone itself (a built-in chip to do this?)
c) answers are provided by wolfram alpha

i tried it yesterday night and it didn't recognize a single word i said. it doesn't help that my english accent is weird.

anyway keep up the good work taixzo!!!
I've been considering this. However, the reasons I decided not to go with server-side processing is that 1) I don't have a server that could process this, and 2) this works without a internet connection.

Regarding your points:
a) Although Siri uses a server for processing, there are also several iPhone apps that process on-device (using OpenEars, which afaik is based on PocketSphinx)
b) Pocketsphinx actually has reasonably good noise cancellation according to my tests.
c) Siri uses WolframAlpha for some lookups, but not all, and theoretically this could be done via the WolframAlpha API if they provide one.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
saera, speech-to-text

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:00.