Active Topics

Originally Posted by convulted View Post
Just in case this should interest anyone: the Gmail notifier statusbar applet (mnotify, IIRC) caused immense battery drain to my tablet.
Is this on OS2008? Because as far as I know this was only a problem with the very first version for OS2007 (it was quickly corrected with a new version).

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
i'm not sure about mnotify, but the rss applet is another big cpu hog - it spikes the cpu every time it auto scrolls to the next header

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Brisbane, Australia
Can anyone tell me how I can track a process thread back to the responsable application?
I have noticed that the process "Xomap" is continual ticking away, but I can't figure what it is.

Do we know how much a diference the virtual memory makes?
(It provides the warning about battery life when activated)

I personnaly have taken to switching to Offline mode when not using the internet, have yet to determine the improvment.
Thanks
H

Xomap is the xserver iirc

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Xomap is the X server yes. The more X client (graphical apps) asks its services, the more it will show up.

Just gave me the idea of recompiling xrestop for our nice devices. Take it in my repository. I haven't tried it yet, just ported it.
xrestop is used for having info on the resources used by X clients.
Has to be run from command line..

Originally Posted by jimb View Post
i'm not sure about mnotify, but the rss applet is another big cpu hog - it spikes the cpu every time it auto scrolls to the next header
Are better off removing it from the desktop when running on batt.

=====
Also ALWAYS disable BT when not using it, it's a real power hog even when not connected to anything, should also try setting the wireless down to the 10mw from 100mw {don't know if there is any real saving but worth a see}

perhaps the gmail app is causing my issue. Twice now, I have locked the 810 on a full charge and I come back 24 hours later to a dead battery. But when using it, I get 5 to 6 hours of run time. Does this seem right or do I have a bad battery?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Atlanta, GA
I've been noticing the same problem on my N810. Fully charged Thursday. Used a bit yesterday but still had full battery last night before bed. This morning almost no battery. mid-afternoon: dead.

I'm going to try killing the Gmail applet. Was also thinking this could be related to the KDE install...maybe some daemons run behind the scenes or some such.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
perhaps the gmail app is causing my issue. Twice now, I have locked the 810 on a full charge and I come back 24 hours later to a dead battery. But when using it, I get 5 to 6 hours of run time. Does this seem right or do I have a bad battery?
The battery meter is playing trick on you.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
The battery meter is playing trick on you.

bun
The next logical question would be how to tell the true battery status.