Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
It's not that I'm not interested, but you already come across as a FOSS and Android guy by your posts and sig. I naturally assumed anything related to microsoft products in mobile isn't to your and most posters' here fancy, given their history. If your reason is akin to that, then there's no need to explain.

Also, I'm not an Apple fan in the slightest....out of all the platforms it's the one I dislike the most. As i will keep saying. I hope that the partnership with Nokia turns out to be successful because I like Nokia, and I'd like to see them return to their glory, no matter what strategy they use and whether or not I agree with it or not (which I don't mind you)
Well, see, the "problem" with danramos is that he pretend being all for FOSS, but what it all comes down to is that danramos is just a common fanboy. He is full of hot (and foul) air, and nothing else no matter how hard he tries to look "interesting" or cool.

The last 6 months he has done nothing but being negative about everything Nokia: the N900, the N9, Symbian, MeeGo, Maemo. According to danramos there are something "wrong" with every little bit that comes from Nokia.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Answer the damn question, don't follow with a stupid question.
You arent serious. Are you?

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I bet that Nokia couldnt get any lower and bought a bunch of shares for long term, 5-6 years, dont really care how long. There was no doubt in my or other analysts minds that the pre-Elop course was not sustainable. Nokia was out of USA for years. As apple and droids start doing well in the USA, they invaded Europe and Asia. Nokia was now losing its home turf. The Taliban are now the only faithful customers of Nokia. Maemo was a dead product for few enthusiasts. N900 was a fun product (use it to IM at night, since I like the keyboard), but not a portable device as compared to others for every day ease of use. N9 is not revolutionary enough, so what is the best strategy for NOKIA? Exactly what Elop did. Perhaps he was too loud about it, perhaps he offended some pro-Europe only high tech company sensibilities, perhaps Taliban are unhappy that Nokia is in bed with Americans, but the bottom line is that Elop needs to turn the company around and make them money. Such a turnaround will take time. Elop has a lot of money riding on this, as his incentives and so on are structured on how he succeeds over the next few years. What is so difficult for this crowd to understand? Your pet project Maemo/Harmattan/Meego is of limited interest to the outsiders. Be happy that you are getting N9 and kiss Elop feet for making it possible.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I wish Elop was fired...

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I don't bet money, otherwise I would have invested in Nokia.. I think that alone speaks volumes all by itself.
OK how about the loser puts in their signature that the winner is their master and owner and I give him my lunch money

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
... What is so difficult for this crowd to understand? Your pet project Maemo/Harmattan/Meego is of limited interest to the outsiders. Be happy that you are getting N9 and kiss Elop feet for making it possible.
What most people don't understand, is that Elop is just means to an end. The end? Getting money. Since Google wasn't going to pay extra to have another manufacturer make android handsets, they went with Microsoft. So they appointed a guy that could make that quickly.

And let's face it. No CEO in the world makes a billion dollars agreement with another company, and make drastics changes after just being hired without some agreement from the board.

Personally, both Microsoft and Nokia made a great move. Nokia has the tools WP7 (and Windows 8 in handsets?) so desperately needs.

TLDR version: Elop is just a guy hired to do a job. And he did a good job.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Well, see, the "problem" with danramos is that he pretend being all for FOSS, but what it all comes down to is that danramos is just a common fanboy. He is full of hot (and foul) air, and nothing else no matter how hard he tries to look "interesting" or cool.

The last 6 months he has done nothing but being negative about everything Nokia: the N900, the N9, Symbian, MeeGo, Maemo. According to danramos there are something "wrong" with every little bit that comes from Nokia.
Personal attacks as a form of defense of FOSS and Nokia... THAT's going to win debates, though. Master debater strikes again!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-09-14 at 21:11.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
OK how about the loser puts in their signature that the winner is their master and owner and I give him my lunch money
Tempting, but no. We'll simply just see who has bragging rights for being right or wrong.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Laughing_Man View Post
TLDR version: Elop is just a guy hired to do a job. And he did a good job.
Bingo. Sadly, it's not the job we enthusiasts wanted him to make, but let's be honest. These decisions were in place before Elop really was in power. So now that he was hired, it was a mission to get those things done.

"Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the only thing going on..." - Ric Flair

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Before you jump the gun, I'm not taking up for dan, he's a man himself; however you do know that many apply the same logic to you.

For instance... you speak about FOSS, yet you love Bada. It uses parts of Linux, BSD, et al and yet has copyrights on top of it, has closed libraries... pretty much, it's sorta a one-for-one for Maemo in quite a few areas.

However, it's nothing more than just as many say... people like what they like. You chose your OS. He chose his.

Ever thought the negativity is warranted? I've ebbed and flowed between voice of anger and voice of reason; however Nokia's moves make little to no sense to most and their antics of continued deliverables not coming in a fashion where most others have ramped that up has left them behind... among other things that tend to anger geeks.

Regardless... watch how you point fingers. Three more are always pointed back at yourself when you do that.

Tags
bada rox, bigbadtroll!, ceo firing, fooled again, pissing contest