Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I'm not sure that nobody believed you. I think that the idea of Elop being a trojan horse was pretty much common consensus around here when he was hired. I don't buy that idea myself. I think Nokia employed Elop precisely because of his connections with Microshaft, to make the sale go smoothly. The board knew exactly what they were getting.
Exactly. The whole thing was petty clear from the beginning, now as you look backwards on the developments; The highest management at Nokia saw that the future of mobile phones is not going to look that bright in a few years, so they made the decision to tie up the thing with MS so that in the end, if they had to chop off the devices, MS would be forced to buy it, and it would actually be the only option for them.

I do not have to like it, but I admire the boldness of the move.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The highest management at Nokia saw that the future of mobile phones is not going to look that bright in a few years, so they made the decision to tie up the thing with MS so that in the end, if they had to chop off the devices, MS would be forced to buy it, and it would actually be the only option for them.

I do not have to like it, but I admire the boldness of the move.
I'm not sure 'bold' is the right adjective.

If they analysed their situation correctly and 'selling D&S to Microsoft' was the correct solution then it doesn't say much for their faith in their own development and business.

To me it seems 'cowardly' but I'm maybe vesting too much desire in seeing a once great European company and an open (mostly) OS succeed against US mega-corps and the harvesting of their customers. All along we heard about the plucky Finns and their 'sisu' which seemed to disappear when Elop arrived. Whether that was Elop or the boards doing, it doesn't really matter. Onward.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
After about 15 years of Nokia!!!! I finally deleted my Nokia Account today.

The Following User Says Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post

If they analysed their situation correctly and 'selling D&S to Microsoft' was the correct solution then it doesn't say much for their faith in their own development and business.

To me it seems 'cowardly' but I'm maybe vesting too much desire in seeing a once great European company and an open (mostly) OS succeed against US mega-corps and the harvesting of their customers. All along we heard about the plucky Finns and their 'sisu' which seemed to disappear when Elop arrived. Whether that was Elop or the boards doing, it doesn't really matter. Onward.
There's much that is true, however I actually have came to accept the official explanation given, that there are diminishing returns in the smartphone business as it is; Look at Apple now for example: It is the most profitable of the top vendors, but for how long? They have not managed to get out anything new since iPhone 4 really. It is only matter of time before people start turning away from their products. And same goes for all in the android camp, it has turned pretty boring lately...

There still is niche available for small and innovative manufacturers, but the large ones cannot really compete any longer.

Selling off the devices division was good way to raise capital to invest in more interesting areas, to reform the company once more like so many times before.

Why you people blame Microsoft so much? In comparison with others, they're the good guys. Half of the world uses their PC products without actually paying and they don't care much, look at their protection. Linux, the major alternative in different flavors, is too user-unfriendly to compete, at least so far. Nokia was great but that Nokia is gone anyway. If Microsoft succeeds in mobile markets, that'd be great. Wish them best of luck.

Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 View Post
Linux, the major alternative in different flavors, is too user-unfriendly to compete, at least so far.
Not really. Linux is in most ways superior to Windows in all computing environments, from the tiniest to the largest systems ever made.
Even as desktop environment Linux variants shine over Windows in usability and customability.

There's just one area that Windows is better than Linux, and that is in gaming. The reason for that is just because video chipset vendors do not open their interfaces to Linux developers, and do not themselves create drivers of similar specifications to Windows and Linux.

Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 View Post
Nokia was great but that Nokia is gone anyway. If Microsoft succeeds in mobile markets, that'd be great. Wish them best of luck.
Nokia is not going anywhere last time I looked, and it is doing currently better than in a long time. The future looks pretty bright too

Microsoft will also be in the mobiles for some time, as they do have barrels of cash to burn. And burn they will, in the end, but it is nowhere near yet. The market share of WP is negilible everywhere else than in finland, and it will probably start to dwindle here too in time.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There's just one area that Windows is better than Linux, and that is in gaming.
You forgot office, and professional audio & video production software. Meanwhile, a lot of games work well using wine.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-24 at 09:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
What is wrong for office alternative in Openoffice/Libreoffice?

For audio/video i didnt expirienced that

The Following User Says Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
What is wrong for office alternative in Openoffice/Libreoffice?
Feature comparison

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:

They are selling their directly phone related R&D though, that at least back in 2011 represented only 20% of their R&D costs, Nokia Research and NSN is the main user of R&D, both that are kept inside the new Nokia. Nokia Research includes all the wider research, like their graphene studies.

There wasn't indeed anything bold about the sales. They ****ed up, they ****ed up so badly in 3 years time, that it will go down in to history books as one of the quickest downfalls of such a large company.
It really is a shame. Not as a Finn, but more as a european. We really need our own, european alternatives.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

Tags
espionage, trojan man