Notices

Posts: 164 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bucks, UK
Massive lack of POI's is my main problem, dont know if its just the UK but it lacks so many things, ie there is a cash machine half a mile from my house, it says the closest 1 is 20 miles away, there is probably 20 in that radius!

Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
routing is really really bad on sygic

today it took me downa atwisty b road that had 40mph - 50mph limits instead of taking me down the bypass that run next to the b road

really hope they improove this in the update
Unless you try the same maps with another navigator you can't be sure that it's caused by Sygic.
Around here I always get routed through walk-only roads, one-way streets, proprietary, closed roads etc. This is with TomTom, and now Sygic. It's all down to the map sources, namely the local authorities who made the maps and sold them to Teleatlas and others.

It's not the fault of the navigation software: The maps are bad and can't be fixed by the software vendors. However, what they can do is to be good at re-routing. So that's what I look for when I validate navigation software: What happens when I ignore its routing suggestion and takes another path? TomTom: Good: Sygic: Haven't tested enough yet. A certain system that shall go unnamed but which rightly so includes 'lost' as part of its name: Horrible.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by zdeno. View Post
hi,
Sygic turns off gps after 1 minute on the background to save energy and battery (one of the requirements for Ovi store). It will be probably changed in next update...
I have the same problem. I wish I could use Sygic to program a route, and then lock the phone screen and keys.
That way I could put the N900 in my pocket and hear the turn-by-turn audio with the bluetooth headset.

Is there any workaround for this?

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by paulo_oliveira View Post
I have the same problem. I wish I could use Sygic to program a route, and then lock the phone screen and keys.
That way I could put the N900 in my pocket and hear the turn-by-turn audio with the bluetooth headset.

ye how do you turn this off???

OVI is not even ready yet. where is angry birds level pack. the iphone angry birds just got ANOTHER UPDATE lol.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by paulo_oliveira View Post

have you tried pushing the toggle switch on the right down to lock the device and see if it still works?

the music still plays when you do that, i would guess that it should still navigate.

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
have you tried pushing the toggle switch on the right down to lock the device and see if it still works?

the music still plays when you do that, i would guess that it should still navigate.
See post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=167 by zdeno. above. It explains that it won't, and why. And what happens with the next version.

I agree it's useful to navigate with the screen off. That's usually how I navigate with TomTom, I don't even have the device in visible range, I just listen to Jane.

I wiish that Sygic maps didn't break Panucci playback using a bluetooth headset for audio output. As soon as Maps gives a voice guidance message, Panucci stops playing. I appreciate that this may not be entirely Sygic's fault, but it sucks nonetheless.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Hey, just because your experience hasn't been good you don't have to rubbish the sygic app. Myself and many others are happily using this and are grateful for it.
if i want to rubbish this app then i will, for something so expensive it should be much better and there shouldn't be a "sygic maps for maemo (problems) thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to torres76 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Well.. I overclocked my N900 to 900MHz and now Sygic is running very smoothly with these settings:

fps=20.0
antialias=false
PositionFiltering=false

Before overclocking the maximum FPS value was 16.0 and if I tried to increase it I faced some lagging and jerking when map moved. Now there's no lagging or jerking with 20.0 fps and it looks really smooth while driving
how do you change the fps?

a coupl eissues i have been having.

Sygic doesnt announce the name of the street or road to take action on. it just says "turn left in 200 meters" then as i approach the turn it says "turn left" this is fine if i kinda know my way around but what if i don't? by the time sygic tells me to turn it is too late and i have already missed the turn. besides i dont know how long 200 meters is. It should say something like "turn left on such n such st" why cant we get it to say the street names for every action?

also, it gives 200 meters as a refference point for different distances. according to sygic sometimes 200 meters is a half a city block away and some times its about two house lenghts

also, it lags. the voice is always right on the money but the actual visual is laggy. after i make the turn it takes a while for sygic to show that maneuver on the screen of the phone

takes a long time to re-rout after i have missed a turn (usually due to sygic telling me to turn at the last minute but not telling me which street to turn on) thats all i have for now