Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I do see a purple tint on the left side - but always, not only at max brightness.
Also, the disturbung lines I'm talking about (and that you can see on my video) seem to be more visible when the screen is darker - and less when it's set to max brightness.
I asked jakiman to add his thoughts a while back but he missed my post. will try again now...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-26 at 20:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Here's a oh, so wonderfull paint illustration...
http://bayimg.com/FaKLLaadj
It's really hard to get proper photos of it, because it's not that bad, and when trying to get photos you actually need to make them bit blurry or the lines disappear into the moire noise.
DeeGee was so kind to also post this in Konttori's blog; Konttori's comment was:

Oh, crap, now I looked at you photo. No, that should not be happening to my knowledge. I'll take a look tomorrow on your example case on both displays we are shipping with (we had plenty of versions of the displays during the making on N9, some times to the better, some times to the worse)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
DeeGee was so kind to also post this in Konttori's blog; Konttori's comment was:
I hope this is just something simple to fix and not a screen defect! would hate to return the n9 now.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Okay, here are my observations so far on my "normal" N9:

1. Pink/Green white edges

Yes, there are very thin line of pink/purple/green tint to left and/or right side on white objects or writing. Sometimes more visible, sometimes less. This is due to having pentile matrix and it's normal. (e.g. white text in black background or black text in white background won't have clean sharp edges but will have a tint of green/ping/purple.)

** The same symptom exists on my Omnia 7 which has a pentile matrix SAMOLED. This is something that cannot be avoided I believe.

2. Bleeding Purple Lines

I also do see faint purple bleeding across the white parts of the screen beginning from the black text when scrolling through web pages etc. (especially when scrolling horizontally, the purple lines dance around and change in thickness)

** This symptom does not exist on my Omnia 7 even at the lowest brightness setting. I tried VERY hard to try and see it but couldn't.

So yeah, my N9 is also affected by Symptom #2. It would be interesting to see what Konttori comes back with or what Nokia says about this. I can see how this can get annoying to some people. Now you got me seeing it also. =P

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
I put up a page here to show the problem at the repair shop. If you put your device into landscape and zoom so the chessboard pattern fills the bottom of the screen and the top is white, the lines are very noticeable.

Since I first noticed the lines, I've now started noticing them everywhere, where there's something dark next to something light. Even just opening the vkbd in apps with white background in landscape view I see the lines fill the area above the vkbd.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZerionSeven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Okay, here are my observations so far on my "normal" N9:

1. Pink/Green white edges

Yes, there are very thin line of pink/purple/green tint to left and/or right side on white objects or writing. Sometimes more visible, sometimes less. This is due to having pentile matrix and it's normal. (e.g. white text in black background or black text in white background won't have clean sharp edges but will have a tint of green/ping/purple.)

** The same symptom exists on my Omnia 7 which has a pentile matrix SAMOLED. This is something that cannot be avoided I believe.

2. Bleeding Purple Lines

I also do see faint purple bleeding across the white parts of the screen beginning from the black text when scrolling through web pages etc. (especially when scrolling horizontally, the purple lines dance around and change in thickness)

** This symptom does not exist on my Omnia 7 even at the lowest brightness setting. I tried VERY hard to try and see it but couldn't.

So yeah, my N9 is also affected by Symptom #2. It would be interesting to see what Konttori comes back with or what Nokia says about this. I can see how this can get annoying to some people. Now you got me seeing it also. =P
Thanks for the input jakiman....
I hope issue 2 really just a fw/sw thing as konttori seems to think.
It would be disappointing of it's just a limitation of the panel used.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ZerionSeven View Post
I put up a page here to show the problem at the repair shop. If you put your device into landscape and zoom so the chessboard pattern fills the bottom of the screen and the top is white, the lines are very noticeable.

Since I first noticed the lines, I've now started noticing them everywhere, where there's something dark next to something light. Even just opening the vkbd in apps with white background in landscape view I see the lines fill the area above the vkbd.
Cool link, thanks. I checked it with Samsung display and the effect can indeed be seen. I'll check with LG tomorrow (don't have one at home) to see if there is a difference. But I fear this is just simply an issue in OLED displays of this generation.

Oled is still in it's baby steps and this kind of issues are not totally surprising.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Thanks konttori, please note jakiman's post #54....

AFAIK despite being marketed as an AMOLED CBD, the N9 is a SAMOLED (pentile) + Nokia twks.
And yet jakiman's Samsung Omnia 7 (SAMOLED pentile) doesn't have the 2nd issue listed in his post?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-28 at 09:46.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Also, some N9s do have this issue while others don't...

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Soo... Any way to differentiate N9's manufactured with LG display vs Samsung ones?
(if the LG ones don't have this pink bleeding)