Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I just wonder how Intel is responding to this bit of news.
Dawn is on holiday. Nothing from Imad yet.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's the thing... why was this "secret" until now? Isn't the Linux Foundation all about the open? What happened to "open"? Same for Nokia and Intel, both. What's with this lack of openness all-around? I'm pretty sure "saving face" isn't helping anything.
Well I have to take some blame for that.

My gut response was "this can't be right ... someone doesn't understand... lets not cause alarm"

So I think it was me who suggested we try to resolve it behind the scenes assuming some kind of error due to misunderstanding.

In the end I was wrong about that - still, I stand by my original opinion.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Cool story lbt, but if you think I'm going to abandon my more or less working and fully functional software platform for one that:

1. isn't for end users.
2. Won't be available for my hardware
3. Is slow as a hoard of geriatric turtles stampeding through Siberian treacle at the height of the ninth ice age.
4. Doesn't actually have any working hardware platform I can migrate to.

I dunno what your smoking, most of the maemo dev talent has already been poached for harmattan (i.e. not meego) and now you come here to tell us were all luddite ostriches for not immediately jumping to your half-broken script-a-joke.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
And now you have the next step - (almost) totally open MeeGo development ...

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
And now we get this repository hosting crisis out of nowhere that was kept secret from the communities it effects. Cripes!
So - that was nothing to do with Nokia. Purely a MeeGo/LF issue.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Cool story lbt, but if you think I'm going to abandon my more or less working and fully functional software platform for one that:

1. isn't for end users.
2. Won't be available for my hardware
3. Is slow as a hoard of geriatric turtles stampeding through Siberian treacle at the height of the ninth ice age.
4. Doesn't actually have any working hardware platform I can migrate to.

I dunno what your smoking, most of the maemo dev talent has already been poached for harmattan (i.e. not meego) and now you come here to tell us were all luddite ostriches for not immediately jumping to your half-broken script-a-joke.
Don't blame you one bit. My wife uses maemo and I wouldn't ask her to use MeeGo yet - every point you make is true (well, "won't" in 2 isn't quite right if you're on the N900 ....)

OTOH I was (too?) implicitly talking to people who were taking a longer term view and actually wanted to influence the direction of MeeGo / maemo.

Please don't misunderstand.... MeeGo isn't ready for maemo.org users like you just yet. And the longer it takes for the maemo community to step up to smooth out the bumps the farther off that day will be ....

... you may want to look around to make sure there's nothing burning though. It's hard to rush that kind of thing.

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
This is certainly an interesting situation. So it seems like the 'meego community' may have to move to a different domain in order to insulate the LF from patent violations - taken from here.

That is an interesting scenario, because maemo.org is also at a crossroads as to where it's future lies - both spiritually and physically. Rather than create formeego.org could it be a possibility to re-integrate the 2 communities under a mobileopensource.org moniker or something and save the hassle of recreating 2 seperate infrastructures within a year or so?
Yep - that's what we feel we're building.

Anyone should feel free to bikeshed the name though

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
OK ... I've tried to answer some points here.

TIme is limited and I think this is mainly a meego issue so I'm off to try and help out over there.

Clearly I care about the future of maemo.org but that's not a debate I'm engaging in.

If you need anything on the infra side to make meego/formeego work better with maemo then come and talk on irc or the mls or the meego forum.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lbt View Post
Don't blame you one bit. My wife uses maemo and I wouldn't ask her to use MeeGo yet - every point you make is true (well, "won't" in 2 isn't quite right if you're on the N900 ....)

OTOH I was (too?) implicitly talking to people who were taking a longer term view and actually wanted to influence the direction of MeeGo / maemo.

Please don't misunderstand.... MeeGo isn't ready for maemo.org users like you just yet. And the longer it takes for the maemo community to step up to smooth out the bumps the farther off that day will be ....

... you may want to look around to make sure there's nothing burning though. It's hard to rush that kind of thing.
MeeGo isn't ready for maemo.org users like you just yet.
ouch, low blow.

And the longer it takes for the maemo community to step up to smooth out the bumps the farther off that day will be ....
What? You just heavily implied I was incapable of making any contribution!

Thats rich, we all know maemo 5 is toast. It has had it's day. We will never see the closed parts of the code and all those WONTFIX, FIXD IN HARMATTANs will remain a thorn in my side much akin to some wrongly tagged mp3's in a 3 year old screencap.

The difference is Maemo users already know this, Meego crew don't seem to realise that they have already been burnt, discarded and are struggling to keep warm over the charcoaled remains of your binary blobs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
But I would like this thread to get back to the themes in the OP rather than being a Nokia pity party or an LF criticism. I'd like people to talk about their views on maemo.org, and whether there is despite, the practical challenges, a certain "stability" to its community governance that I would hope attract developers to continue to support it because they know the rug won't be pulled out from underneath them. There is I think an advantage to doing your own thing and not have your future compromised by what's going on "behind those curtains", as you put it earlier.
The problem we have at maemo.org is hardware. The functional n900s out there will drop in number as time goes on. The CordiaTab is a great idea, but how many developers will it attract, and will it gain critical mass to sustain the numbers in this community?

If, as lbt points out,
formeego.org/com (we have both) is more grass-roots than maemo. Currently it's "owned" by Thomas, Neils and I.
any questions about governance should be settled.

And
BTW .. did I mention that Neils and I made a huge effort to make the MeeGo infra support Fremantle and Harmattan.... if that's not "continue to support maemo.org" then what is?
could solve another dilemma.

I think the maemo community could find it's home with the formeego.org (or whatever) umbrella, just as the n8x0, and n770 community remains apart of maemo.org. I appreciate that this debate was fought and lost months before I joined the site, but we have to face certain realities here (i.e. no more funding) and it saddens me to think that such a vibrant community has been splintered into various factions, and that maemo.org could fizzle out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I have to agree seems biggest mistake Nokia actually did was go meego and "discontinue" Maemo that infacts IS still is alive in form of Meego Harmattan. a closer look it still maemocore but qt instead of gtk.
i think it is the cleverest thing they have done, because they have made QT the defacto development environment for mobile linux in general, and moblin in particular.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down