Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
We're living in a world divided radically between Order and Chaos.
Succinctly stated. And I agree 100%.

Apple has perfected Order.
I'd actually say that it was Steve Jobs that was the one that perfected order. Apple now isn't all that orderly. The overlap of Apple MacBook Air (11/13 inch screens) with the i5/i7 processors are heavier hitters than the m3/m5 processor in the MacBook Retina (12 inch screen) is enough evidence of this. Why would you have the better processors handicapped with less RAM and less display?

The iPad Pro 12 inch has 4GB of RAM whereas the 9 inch has only 2GB of RAM. That's fragmentation at your "Pro" tablet sizes.

The iPod... a memory. Grab one in the stores if you can, yet they still sell Apple Music as a service. That's weird. I have never listened to music on my phone; the battery would die in no time.

And the Apple Watch? It's just now getting an OS that's worth mentioning to the fanboys. Beforehand, it was only for the diehard first time buyers of all things geek. Now... if only you have money to waste.

On the other side, the GNU project has unleashed Chaos.
Yep. But this chaos does not include everybody. Too many sectors are not impacted by GNU at all.

The "failure" of open-source software is, in my opinion, not actually a failure; it is instead a measure of the great success of closed-source software in the last few years. I applaud that success, but I doubt it can continue forever. Corporations inevitably rise and fall, and in the past, software tied inextricably to those corporations ends up failing along with those who own it. In the end, only open-source software survives.
This is a new perspective; one that challenges how I look at things to be honest. I'll consider rethinking my stance. Thanks for sharing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'd actually say that it was Steve Jobs that was the one that perfected order.
Yeah, can't argue with that. Jobs was the man behind the Mac, which really defined Apple as the ease-of-use champion (as well as the totally-closed-hardware guys). Apple floundered without him, got their magic back when they brought him back, and are now floundering again without him.

So yeah, maybe the world just runs on the whims of a few incredibly smart individuals, no matter where we turn.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The "failure" of open-source software is, in my opinion, not actually a failure; it is instead a measure of the great success of closed-source software in the last few years.
"We didn't lose the battle, guv. It's just that the enemy won."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
OT but: as new to the thread, it's funny to read the very first post then jump to this page.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
almost entirely outside of the corporate world.
Actually a very large amount of all development on free software comes from the corporate world, see Red Hat, Intel, SUSE, Google, Samsung, etc.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Actually a very large amount of all development on free software comes from the corporate world, see Red Hat, Intel, SUSE, Google, Samsung, etc.
Yup. And a very large amount of all development on closed software comes from the open-source world. See Android, OS X, iOS, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What a shame a vast majority of them are total sheet

In fact, it's even worse than that. The sorry situation with two app stores full of crap but barely a useful app in sight nearly three years after the release are the best testimony. If it so easy to find good apps, then why aren't the app stores full of them?
This just illustrates the differences among the needs of different people; for myself there is not that many GUI applications that I find useful. Almost all console tools however build out-of-the-box.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I asked the seller via twitter to please confirm when/if it is actually paid.
That 612€ thingy is paid and shipped!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
That 612€ thingy is paid and shipped!
All I can say is wow...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post: