Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Announced today :

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator#/
We want you to be the first to know that, today, we are introducing our new flagship device: the Cosmo Communicator.

Cosmo is designed to be a great phone, a great pocket computer and a great camera - powerful enough to be the only mobile device that you need to carry around and small enough to fit in your pocket.

We have listened to Gemini community and have incorporated the most requested features into the Cosmo Communicator specification.

The Cosmo is now open for crowdfunding on Indiegogo here.

Some exciting features of the Cosmo include:
• A newly-designed integrated physical backlit keyboard
• Dual-display: an external 2" touchscreen when device is closed and large 6" touchscreen when device is open
• A hi-res 24MP external camera
• Fingerprint sensor and smart toggle button for security and control
• NFC for payment

Cosmo will run on Android 9 (Pie) OS and be capable of running Linux-based operating systems, such as Sailfish and Debian. It will have Wi-Fi and dual 4G connectivity. It’s powered by the new 8-core Mediatek P70 processor, with 6GB of RAM and a huge 128GMB of internal memory (extendable via a microSD card).

We have a very special early-bird perk for our first 500 backers who will get the Cosmo Communicator for 31% off. Check it out here!

We hope that you really like our new Cosmo Communicator! Please support us on Indiegogo to make the Cosmo a reality.

#GoGoCosmo

Yours,
Planet Computers Team
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Compared to Gemini PDA :
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...le-device--2#/
- almost same dimensions :
Cosmo : 17.14(W) x 7.93cm(D) x 1.6(H)cm
Gemini : 17.14(W) x 7.93cm(D) x 1.51(H)cm
- same weight, approx. 320g;
- same internal screen, 5.99 inch, 2160x1080, 403 ppi;
- external display, 2 inch, 570 x 240, 300 ppi;
- CPU Mediatek P70 (8-Core);
- 6GB RAM x 4GB, 128GB x 64GB of internal flash;
- external camera with 24MP;
- backlit keyboard.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
I'd rather like to have Official Full SFOS support on the Gemini instead of a new device. And as rcolistete pointed out there are a lot of similarities between the Gemini and the Cosmo. The only thing I actually do miss on the Gemini is a backlit keyboard.

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
So happy they add a backlit keyboard. I appreciate the extra screen as well. Don't really need the camera but nice. The nfc and fingerprinted reader not sure if I trust on a device that defaults to android.

So do these devices require android blobs or can I run a clean machine with only Debian/Maemo-Leste/sailfish (I know this also uses android blobs).

x

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Currently Android is required if I'm not mistaken, but they promised that to change in the future. That was for the Gemini though.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
IMO, that will never change. Or at least not while they use MTK. I get that none of the current major SoC maker is not interested in linux as 1st class citizen but still, there are lousy ones and the terrible ones and MTK is at the bottom of them all.
Qualcomm is probably the best choice but we can see how that goes with sailfish, a year and a half after the announcement and with the device from SONY open program there are still HW related issues that don't exist on android part of the story.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I am not sure if Gemini/Cosmo keyboard is any good (I trust Nokia N900/N950/Neo900/Fxtec more in this regard). Backlight is not bad, but I would wish for RGB backlight. Programmable.

External touchscreen is interesting, and has got to be capacitive to be protected against scratches, but I do hope that the internal huge touchscreen is resistive, for pressure-sensitive drawing. And external display should have lots of physical buttons around it, from accept/reject call, to volume wheel of speakers and microphone, to scroll arrows/navigation wheel, to half-press camera button.

External display better be OLED, for ease on eyes, and readability in the sun. Internal display could be black-and-white e-Ink, for books and emails and web pages?

Fingerprint sensor, LTE, Bluetooth, NFC are nice.

In short, where is the source code for the hardware, so that somebody could clone this device into something MTK-less and more Linux-friendly?

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

[EDIT]
Fxtec is pretty similar: AMOLED screen, 6GB RAM with 128GB storage (EMMC, presumably), stereo-speakers on the side, 3.5mm (TLS) headphone jack, fingerprint reader that's not integrated into the power button, and of course the big wooping sliding keyboard.

But all the same, I can understand desire to hide the large screen from external scratches, by making it into a communicator form factor. But generally, I prefer slider. And, I miss resistive touchscreen. And RGB backlight.
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Yes, external display is AMOLED, thanks for that at least. Internal display is Colour FHD+ (18:9), probably LCD I guess? 18:9 aka 2:1 sounds fairly nice - hip to be square. Space Grey Metal sounds very annoying - how difficult will it be to change it to something light, like shiny silver? Absence of talk/stand-by time is frustrating. FM radio is likely receiver-only, no transmitter. 3.5mm jack, is it going to be TRRS, or five-contacts? Any mention of volume buttons/wheel or 2-stage camera shutter key?

And will it run Maemo Leste? And will it be possible to put resistive touch screen on main display?
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2019-03-26 at 03:53. Reason: More information found

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I am not sure if Gemini/Cosmo keyboard is any good (I trust Nokia N900/N950/Neo900/Fxtec more in this regard).
Gemini keyboard is excellent. It has exactly the same feel as the original Psion, and I love it.

Sadly, it's probably the only good thing I have to say about the Gemini

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Is anybody from Cosmo Communicator/Gemini looking at this thread? Because active support for running Maemo Leste would be appreciated.

[EDIT]
It's rumoured that Mediatek chips have firmware that should be open-source, being derivation of GPL-licensed code, but Mediatek doesn't release it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/have-...e-license-fee/

[Edit2]
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...iatek-devices/
[/Edit2]

If it applies to this particular chip as well, I would appreciate it if Cosmo Communicator put pressure onto Mediatek to release source code, and all tools require to build the code and flash it onto the chip, to Cosmo Communicator - and buyers/owners of these devices.
[/EDIT]

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2019-03-26 at 04:17. Reason: petition link

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
There was a Cosmo Communicator update a couple weeks ago that I overlooked at the time. I've just pasted in what I think are the highlights, but the interested can read the whole thing here.

Jul 12, 2019 • 10:46PM

. . .

Cosmo PR1 devices are here!

We are delighted to announce that we now produced the first 300 Cosmo Communicator devices from the PR1 production run.

PR1 is still a test production run, where all the factory processes are tested as well as producing 300 Cosmo Communicators that are now undergoing various quality and certification tests.

. . .

Device Certification

The CE, FCC, JATE and TELEC certification testing has now started.

Mobile phone calls on Cosmo!

We have also made the further mobile phone call tests on the Cosmo from SIM cards inserted into physical SIM slot #1, physical SIM slot #2 and by downloading the SIM profile onto the eSIM chip.

. . .

Mass Production Schedule - Soon

We are now awaiting materials for mass production.

These past few weeks we have also been working on the Cosmo packaging to be ready in time for mass productions,

We are roughly following our published delivery schedule, but until we have full confirmation of the quality tests we will not start mass production. We will publish the final mass production schedule soon.

More form us next week!
Who's gonna have a device in a retail customer's hands first, F(x)Tec, Purism, or these guys? Faites vos jeux . . .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
communicator, gemini