Poll: are buying the nokia n9
Poll Options
are buying the nokia n9

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Nokia to support n9 "for years"

http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/07/06/nokia-n9-updates/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chase15 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Too bad you can't vote on 2. Let me explain; I'll get 1 for the mrs indeed, I'll however keep my N900 for now and wait. Might consider an N9 over time if no HWKB device reaches the sheves. Or get some Droid and replace the OS with MeeGo. 2 fingers up:P

The Following User Says Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
yes via alian dalvik .....
It's not 100% certain yet. See the link for an interview with Myriad on the same subject. http://tinyurl.com/6gqkpwk

I think most consumers (even early adopters) would want a Nokia commitment that they would provide ongoing support and back this up with future devices.

I'm not a developer, but if I were, I'd say it lacks a hardware keyboard.

BUT...what an amazing UI !!! I want one, even though everyone with any sense tells me I'm completely mad.

Last edited by jpfsn; 2011-07-05 at 22:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpfsn For This Useful Post:
Oh, whilst I'm on a roll (and apologies for being off topic slightly) but if anyone knows where the camera button is located to take a picture (presumably on the screen?), I'd love to know.

Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
Nokia to support n9 "for years"

http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/07/06/nokia-n9-updates/
I didn't read a definition of 'support'. Are we talking one, possible two firmware updates.

I want the N9/N950 to be as successful as the next guy, but let's face it, unless you're a developer who gets his hands on a N950 (or doesn't mind writing code on a virtual keyboard), there's little hope of a commercial success here.

On the upside, the N9 demonstrates to other mobile manufacturers what fantastic potential Meego has!! However, for anyone who loves Nokia devices; their quality and heritage, it's truly sad that they (Nokia) have turned their back on such a wonderful opportunity.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpfsn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
no much apps, no strong support, and no guarenties, u have to be bonkers to buy the n9, and thats why we should

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Won't be getting one myself. UK dweller so the only thing hitting these shores will be the look-alikes with the WP7 cr@p.
Absolutely nothing else out there that I like. I'd look at a HP/Palm device if things weren't so quiet over there, and their design office stopped producing things that looked like Samsung PAYG phones.
I believe MeeGo is going places, but not on the Nokia train. So I'm just gonna sit back with my trusty N900 and watch for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes. I will probably buy one. But not from nokia. I will buy one on second hand. I will not support nokia in any way since they kicked meego on their high-end phones. If it's a great phone? Too early to tell. But don't think this will be my main phone. Several things missing or not good enough. But hey, nokia still have time to improve sw before release.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yes. I will probably buy one. But not from nokia. I will buy one on second hand. I will not support nokia in any way since they kicked meego on their high-end phones. If it's a great phone? Too early to tell. But don't think this will be my main phone. Several things missing or not good enough. But hey, nokia still have time to improve sw before release.
MeeGo has got the potential to succeed in a big way, but you need to look further afield than Nokia. MS simply would not allow Nokia to market MeeGo in a big way. With Nokia's superior innovation and manufacturing it can rocket skyward. But with Puppetboy Elop pandering to Monkeyboy Ballmer, it's destined to failure under the Nokia flag.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
True. Let's hope for LG and Intel

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...