Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
What's wrong with tabs? They split the information up onto multiple pages. You cannot see the overall call history anymore. Be on the outgoing page - miss perhaps information on the incoming call tab. Be on the incoming call tab - miss or have to switch to another page to call again the person you just called.
Different kinds of information should be split up onto multiple pages.

When I'm on the "missed calls" tabs, I usually don't look for information about recently dialled numbers there. I go there specifically to see which calls I missed while I was in the bathroom. I know I didn't make or answer a call when I was there, so I wouldn't need or want to see anything else than missed calls.

Same with outgoing calls. I go there to re-dial a number. Not to see who called me.

All the years with my S60 phone, I never once had the idea that combining the three lists into one would be desirable. In fact, my SE doeas have this one combined list as an additional (actually: primary) one. I don't use it, it's too annoying. - A feature I like a lot about the SE, though, is the "missed activity" view thats available with one click from the home screen. When i go there, I see everything that "happened on my phone" while I left it unattended: missed calls, incoming messages, reminders. All in one list. This is a view I would expect in a smart pocket computer. Does the N900 have it?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Incorrect. You can uninstall any of these applications, it just may have consequences on your upgrade path. This is an unfortunately historical consequence of Nokia's old platform architecture and it's something that they're working on fixing as we move forward.
I hope that's true but I don't feel it, so far. All I know is I've had my N800 for more than two years and I've not really seen it so far--and I'm really not interested in buying an N900. Ultimately, my experiences is tinged by the negative closed-source end of things ruining my open-source experience in a lot of ways that I'm not feeling on my netbook, laptop and servers. In the two years, I've gone from fan, to critic to cynic and don't feel much hope for climbing back out of it anytime soon.

At least Nokians are actually out here discussing things with us. At least they sometimes consider input from the community (see the /opt discussion). For all it's faults, it's still a much better platform than Android will ever be.
That remains to be seen.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That remains to be seen.
X plus real desktop UI toolkits, devices you can install whatever software you wish on, no war for root and actually open governance? I'd say it's been demonstrated several times over.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
This is easy, somebody just needs to create an applet.

Turn on autorotation (opens Phone when you're holding the device in portrait at the home screen), press the power button and tap "Phone", begin typing a contact name, add contact shortcuts to the desktop, or add Phone shortcut to the desktop.

Hum? Do you want call recording or . . . ?

Not that I know of, but I don't think I've ever needed to grab phone numbers from the browser. Ovi Maps can serve for yellow pages stuff.

Yes

No.

Oh, I don't think this is the issue at all. It's just that both time and money are finite things.
1. That is my point- a basic missed call alert function not already on the device and no phone access on home screen. If it had buttons I could understand, but direct access seems an odd omission.
2. In regards to tapping a browser link, an example is a tapping the phone link to a Google voice search result, but I do not think the N900 has voice search for Google. Can an app be made or only for Android?
3. In regards to saving calls as contacts, when you get a call, most phones allow you the option of saving the call number as a contact.

This ties into my concern that Nokia is saying, "Computer first, phone last".

Besides the most of the people on this site and a few other tech havens, almost everyone who wants the N900 to be their next phone is assuming "Phone first, computer last" and all the juicy internet and media in the middle.

Just trying to nicely warn you all that a LOT of the new posts will be about this stuff- here and every other device or phone forum.

Still, most of us will love our N900's like beloved pets

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-27 at 23:18. Reason: Same reason as always- typing on a phone

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You highlight a critical adoption point here.

Who is Nokia intending to win over with the device?

How beholden will that demographic be to usability they currently enjoy? How open will they be to new paradigms?

I daresay if those new paradigms reduce expected functionality, that's going to hurt Maemo's chances.

If, however, novel, unobtrusive means are developed to provide the rich functionality that smartphone users have come to take for granted, then the N900 will prosper.

But the reflex reaction of "we decided this feature you rely on doesn't have the value you perceive" has me concerned.
I think you nailed it (perhaps because you said what I said in a fancy way . My MBA is in economics and marketing- not English

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
1. That is my point- a basic missed call alert function not already on the device and no phone access on home screen.
Let me quote what I wrote for you again:

This is easy, somebody just needs to create an applet.

Turn on autorotation (opens Phone when you're holding the device in portrait at the home screen), press the power button and tap "Phone", begin typing a contact name, add contact shortcuts to the desktop, or add Phone shortcut to the desktop.
There are several ways to easily access the phone from the home screen.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
The contacts page has a filter menu, called "Groups," which doesn't use tabs. When you choose "Groups," you are shown a menu of all of your accounts, and when you choose an account, only contacts from that account are shown. The "All contacts" at the top is replaced with the account name, the "X" in the top right is replaced with a back-arrow, and clicking on the back-arrow returns to the "all contacts" page.

Seems like this should also work for filtering the call history.
I dont really have a N900 but from the videos I saw, I was thinking about the contact are filtered too.

How about using the side bar on the contact where the Alpha letters are shown to filter by Alphabetical way. The Call log could have a shorter side listing of (A)ll Calls, (M)issed calls, (O)utgoing calls (I)ncoming calls etc.
Just clicking on any letter for those categories will filter the call log.

This way the space in landscape mode doesn't have to be wasted on the top or bottom, but put them on the side like in contacts app.

Again this is my visualization without really playing with the Maemo at all - so I may be off in my assumptions in how contacts work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Let me quote what I wrote for you again:

There are several ways to easily access the phone from the home screen.
Thanks.

Do you think it will be possible to add Google voice search, or is that a proprietary app to Android? I must admit is nice to hands free search Google, and then tap the phone number of the link and it calls.

I think a fair summary is people that want a phone more than any of the other good stuff, they should stay away from the N900 for a while.

I will accept the (hopefully) temporary inconveniences for:

1. All the Linux and Pandora stuff we should see
2. 30-ish gigs of built in memory
3. Best browser and full flash
4. Great audio sound (you all had better be right)
5. No more converting xvid and divx vids to MP4
6. Stuff I have not even thought of that will come out

Sounds like a fair trade to me

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-28 at 00:28. Reason: See what happens typing on a 480X320 G1??

All of this is very useful debate. Looks like Release Early, Release Often is working. Just dont forget to push things upstream.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
7. Conference call (hands free calling)
Not sure what you mean by hands free calling, but I stumbled upon a clip demoing conference calling short after reading this thread, so thought I'd post it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNxULgpHWmU

Tags
phone, usability, user interface