Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I'm proud to present you today my newest Application for MeeGo Harmattan:

DreamRemote 2.0

It's a WiFi Multi Remote Control for the Dreambox (the Linux-based set-top boxes) from Dream multimedia.

It supports all Enigma 1 and Enigma 2 based Dreambox receiver, VDR Project with installed vdr-live plugin and the dbox2 with installed neutrino image.

Support for the AZBox (HD Elite, Premium HD and HD+) will need some more time. Sorry guys, if there is demand please post. I will look if I could speed the needed work up.

Note: It doesn't support connections to receiver with password protected webinterface. But hence it is anyway only advisable to use webremote within your own w-lan behind a firewall it should work for the most people. By default the webinterface is anyway not password protected.

The screenshots are currently only at Dreambox Receiver with Enigma 2 aviable. I was not able to develop and test this feature without the needed hardware. Sorry.

(a zoom function for the screenshots is in the work, so stay tuned for updates)

DreamRemote supports control of more than a single receiver.
You just need to swipe from one receiver to the other to control your DreamBox in the living room, your VDR archive in the cellar and your old dbox2 at the kitchen.
Have a look how it works: Video
Please note:
- I'm not a native speaker, so please excuse my bad english.
- Jokes about my TV are only allowed after you purchased DreamRemote!
Because of my still persistent financial nightmare I would like to sell this small application for a small amount of money at the ovi store. I hope you can understand my situation.
Please get it from here: Ovi Store

I also created a small Demo to make testing possible without buying DreamRemote. This way you are able to check what you get for your money!
If you wan't to try DreamRemote before purchasing you can download and install the demo from here: Demo

Please give here feedback if you have any kind of problems using DreamRemote. If something doesn't work as expected I'm sure we are able to find together a solution or a good reason for the problems.

Enjoy!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2012-02-23 at 18:01. Reason: now support for dbox2 and VDR aviable

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I will buy this as soon as the update arrives with support for my crappy old DM500S (Enigma 1).

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I will buy this as soon as the update arrives with support for my crappy old DM500S (Enigma 1).
Thanks marxian!
I have only a old DM7025 with a weak power supply. I repaired it in the meantime 2 times and have a fan on top of it to prevent more damage. So no need to call your still working DM500S crappy.

I just uploaded the fix today, realized the bug Sunday night and I wanted to get the first version finally thru the QA. I was able to test the remote with a DM800HD thanks to my room mate, but I have no Enigma 1 over here. I integrated the support based on the source of my old Python application.

Last edited by helex; 2012-02-22 at 21:47. Reason: Removed the link to the demo, it is now aviable at the ovi store

The DEMO Version managed to get thru the Nokia Store QA: DreamRemoteDEMO

Everyone should be able to test using this Demo if DreamRemote would work. Since it depends on your own network and receiver setup not everything is within my control.
And please ensure you're connected to your locan w-lan with your N9. It won't work via GSM or 3G.

The Demo has some fixes and updated features compared to the current paid version. So please be patient if it works at the Demo and not at the paid version. I hope the update for the paid version will arrive tomorrow.

New features at the Demo compared to the current paid version:
  • Support for Enigma 1
  • Support for VDR
  • Support for dbox2
  • some minor fixes

If it works and you like it I would be glade to receive some positive feedback. The current rating is very depressing, demotivating and the statistics is somewhat confusing for me. Perhaps the download statistics are getting updated tomorrow, currently it looks like all downloads and ratings are from a single country: China - no other countries

Last edited by helex; 2012-02-22 at 22:12.

Just downloaded and tested the demo. It works on my DM500, and I'll buy the full version soon.

1. You may already be aware of this, but the DM500 (and possibly 600) has slightly different button mappings than the other Dreamboxes with the larger remotes. In particular, the DM500 doesn't recognise the command issued by the Info key. It's the same with the remote on the web interface (I guess that's where you get the commands from), so it's not your fault and it's no big deal for me.

2. There are a couple of small UI aspects that you could tweak. For example, the menu item with label 'search for help and support' is all lower-case, which is out of step with the other menu items. Also, I would probably use the placeholderText property for the remote title when none is set. That way, when the user taps on the TextEdit component, they don't have to delete the 'Remote Name' string before adding their own. It might also be a good idea to do the same thing for the IP address, so you don't have to delete the zeros.

I do also notice that there are some cases where you don't appear to use the 'standard' components. For example, the dialog that is raised when you want to delete a remote does not use the standard QueryDialog component (see screenshots below). I think it would help give the UI a more consistent look and feel if you used the standard components where possible.

For the above, I would use this

Code:
import QtQuick 1.1
import com.nokia.meego 1.0

QueryDialog {
    id: dialog

function deleteRemote() {
        // do stuff
        console.log("Remote deleted");
    }

titleText: qsTr("Delete remote?")
    acceptButtonText: qsTr("Yes")
    rejectButtonText: qsTr("No")
    onAccepted: deleteRemote()
}

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-02-22 at 23:12.

Just downloaded and tested the demo. It works on my DM500, and I'll buy the full version soon.
Thanks! Sounds great.

1. You may already be aware of this, but the DM500 (and possibly 600) has slightly different button mappings than the other Dreamboxes with the larger remotes. In particular, the DM500 doesn't recognise the command issued by the Info key. It's the same with the remote on the web interface (I guess that's where you get the commands from), so it's not your fault and it's no big deal for me.
Hm, yes, I got it from the source of the web interface. What is your advice?

Should I remove this button (hence, it doesn't work at not a single Enigma 1 dreambox) or should I create a setting and hide it especially for the DM500?

The question is: Why is there this button at the source of the Enigma 1 web remote if it doesn't work at Enigma 1?
There must be a reason for it... or am I wrong?

2. There are a couple of small UI aspects that you could tweak. For example, the menu item with label 'search for help and support' is all lower-case, which is out of step with the other menu items. Also, I would probably use the placeholderText property for the remote title when none is set. That way, when the user taps on the TextEdit component, they don't have to delete the 'Remote Name' string before adding their own. It might also be a good idea to do the same thing for the IP address, so you don't have to delete the zeros.
Ah, yes. Good find. I will change it soon.

I hope the Demo version won't get too comfortable with this tweaks.
The storage of the settings and the splash screen is the only difference...

I do also notice that there are some cases where you don't appear to use the 'standard' components. For example, the dialog that is raised when you want to delete a remote does not use the standard QueryDialog component (see screenshots below). I think it would help give the UI a more consistent look and feel if you used the standard components where possible.
As always, great feedback!

I have Friday a day off. I will look into it why I have implemented it this way. The most qml elements are made myself because of the user interface. I was at example unable to use the standard Toolbar. And also the buttons have some additional properties. I remember I changed this QueryDialog several times during the development, but I can't remember the reasoning at the moment.
I had a lot of problems to create a endless scaleable ui to switch between remotes with a single swipe. So I'm personally very proud to get this even working.
But this query should work independent from this... I will look into it.

I hope you could give my Application despite the minor flaws a good feedback.
I will correct the complaints soon.

I observed yesterday the rating at the ovi store. The first rating was 4 stars, even before I created this thread. Later the average rating sagged to 3 stars and in the end 2 stars.
So at minimum 3 ratings without a comment or feedback why. Not very well.
Because of some reasons it seems to have not worked as expected for some guys... thats sad.
But the biggest surprise was someone who has bought it even without dbox2 support and wrote he is waiting for the support for his receiver. And despite he was unable to check if it works or not he gave a good 4 star rating. Hurray! But this rating was unable to change the average result...

So I went yesterday very depressed to bed... But the biggest surprise was today the ovi store statistics. Quite a lot purchases, and all from china!

I can't believe dream multimedia sold 99% of their dreambox receiver to china. Very strange. Either the download statistics from nokia are broken or something is very fishy. At least it feels like this to myself.

Oh, and by the way, does the screenshot feature work at your DM500? (pull the remote to the bottom)

Originally Posted by helex View Post
Thanks! Sounds great.

Hm, yes, I got it from the source of the web interface. What is your advice?

Should I remove this button (hence, it doesn't work at not a single Enigma 1 dreambox) or should I create a setting and hide it especially for the DM500?

The question is: Why is there this button at the source of the Enigma 1 web remote if it doesn't work at Enigma 1?
There must be a reason for it... or am I wrong?
The Enigma web interface is the same for all dreamboxes, and displays the larger remote that is used for 7025 etc. The DM500 uses a smaller remote with fewer buttons (see below). It does have an Info button, but it must be mapped differently. I'll see if I can discover the correct command for Enigma1 boxes (if it exists).

I hope the Demo version won't get too comfortable with this tweaks.
The storage of the settings and the splash screen is the only difference...
Don't worry, I'll be buying the full version.

I have Friday a day off. I will look into it why I have implemented it this way. The most qml elements are made myself because of the user interface. I was at example unable to use the standard Toolbar. And also the buttons have some additional properties. I remember I changed this QueryDialog several times during the development, but I can't remember the reasoning at the moment.
I had a lot of problems to create a endless scaleable ui to switch between remotes with a single swipe. So I'm personally very proud to get this even working.
But this query should work independent from this... I will look into it.
Sure, I can see that there are quite a few instances where the standard components are not sufficient for your application. I have experienced the same thing myself.

I observed yesterday the rating at the ovi store. The first rating was 4 stars, even before I created this thread. Later the average rating sagged to 3 stars and in the end 2 stars.
So at minimum 3 ratings without a comment or feedback why. Not very well.
Because of some reasons it seems to have not worked as expected for some guys... thats sad.
But the biggest surprise was someone who has bought it even without dbox2 support and wrote he is waiting for the support for his receiver. And despite he was unable to check if it works or not he gave a good 4 star rating. Hurray! But this rating was unable to change the average result...

So I went yesterday very depressed to bed... But the biggest surprise was today the ovi store statistics. Quite a lot purchases, and all from china!
My advice is to not even read the reviews in the store, because you cannot respond to them, and they often do not contain sufficient information to act on. The information in the store clearly states that people should use the contact email address or website to report issues. Simply ranting in the review section or giving a one-star rating is of no use to anyone.

I can't believe dream multimedia sold 99% of their dreambox receiver to china. Very strange. Either the download statistics from nokia are broken or something is very fishy. At least it feels like this to myself.
The Chinese make a lot of Dreambox clones, that's for sure. They are a lot cheaper than the genuine boxes. I'm not sure how popular they are in China, though. I thought most of their business was in Europe.

Oh, and by the way, does the screenshot feature work at your DM500? (pull the remote to the bottom)
No, it doesn't work for me. I didn't really expect it to. However, it does work from the web interface, so it's probably down to the Enigma1 image and how it executes the command.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-02-23 at 15:43. Reason: Replace broken image link

I wrote a review in the store for the demo version. After writing the review, I visited the page for the paid version, and noticed that the store client acted as if I had the paid version installed. There was no 'Buy' button, but instead it presented the 'Launch' and 'Review' buttons. I don't know if this affects all applications with demo versions, but it's definitely something to take up with Nokia Store, as it could be losing you money.

My website

GitHub

I wrote a review in the store for the demo version. After writing the review, I visited the page for the paid version, and noticed that the store client acted as if I had the paid version installed. There was no 'Buy' button, but instead it presented the 'Launch' and 'Review' buttons. I don't know if this affects all applications with demo versions, but it's definitely something to take up with Nokia Store, as it could be losing you money.
Oh well... I realized this kind of problems 2 months after the release of ClipMan and ClipManLite. I had there the same problem and a installed ClipManLite blocked a upgrade to the paid version completly because the Lite version got internally a higher versions number. The package number counts only minor. I had long conversations with the ovi support about this issue. The solution was to use a 0.x and 1.x as versions to get it working as expected.
(this was later the reason to reject the DreamRemoteDemo because I had the version 1.x in the package and 2.0 in the about screen... - - - no comment - - -)

I got the same screen as you above only if I called the link to the ovi store to download the paid version. So the solution for me was to remove the "buy now" button from my application.

If I opened the store manually it worked every time since the version numbering was fixed. But if this still occurs now I wonder what I should do to solve this issue finally.

I wanted to create a seamless upgrade process. Because of this the debian packages of the paid version does replace the free version. But for some reasons the store doesn't work properly. Sometimes it seems to compare "Content Item"-Name fields instead of "Cotent Item"-ID's or simply the package itself. It confuses me and there are made some very bad design decision at the backend.
Example: "Content Item Name is crucial for the update feature introduced in PR1.2"

In my opinion only the package should count, and if necessary for the purchasing backend the content item ID, but never ever the name of a database field. My former professor would have killed me as slowly and painful as possible. In public, at noontide, with a ATX Keyboard and a old spoon while tattooing a SQL command on my forehead!

Oh well, perhaps I should simply remove the free versions of ClipMan and DreamRemote from the ovi store to avoid any kind of future problems. I wanted only to be nice and provice a simple possibility to check and try before purchasing.
And it the case of ClipManLite the free version is anyway very useful. I wanted to give this great community something back...

Sigh. I have to make a important call now... perhaps I have later a good idea. Or tomorrow... will see...

Last edited by helex; 2012-02-23 at 19:34.

Tags
dreambox, network, neutrino, remote, remote control