Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
As newly appointed Chair of the Board, I hereby approve and announce the special election of the Hildon Foundation Council.

After much debate, a compromise position has been achieved within the HiFo Board of Directors to move forward in a way which we hope allows the community full choice in where we are going. This agreement is to hold an election of the Hildon Foundation Council (HFC), to run parallel with the Maemo Community Council (MCC) election, following the same election rules and criteria used for the MCC election.

The elected HFC can then form the proper election and membership criteria to be used for future elections of the Hildon Foundation, including elections of the Board of Directors. This would allow legally compliant Board elections shortly after the criteria is released, in a way similar to the "waterfall" vote happening with the referendum on MCC rules.

An important notice from the Chair:
As an explanation on why this is happening, I'd like to clarify by saying the following. Some of the current Board would prefer to see two bodies (two separate Council), while others feel this is not needed. To allow the community to make this choice, potential candidates may nominate themselves for either or both elections, and voters will be able to vote for the same or different candidates. The Board discussion on this topic, in the last Board meeting, can be listened to here, time-index 1:16:08.

Note that this is not an election for Hildon Board of Directors, and that an election for that body will happen some time after HFC sets the criteria for membership, nominations, and elections of that body.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
[Held for clarification summary if needed.]

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Excellent! Now, I think the voting is to hard. Why not just add a poll? Sure, there is a possibility of cheating but at the same the whole community will vote, not a select few.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I'm unclear on how we get to one council. What does the community need to do if they want that? What happens if there are nominations for two seperate councils and subsequent votes? Why not a referendum? That would be more clear imo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post

As an explanation on why this is happening, I'd like to clarify by saying the following. Some of the current Board would prefer to see two bodies (two separate Council), while others feel this is not needed.
Yes, but the two councils is for these elections only. It does not necessarily mean that Maemo Community Council is permanent or even that it will be included in the elections six months from these elections. Two items to note affecting the current situation:

The contract between Nokia and the Foundation providing for the transfer of the maemo community has been completed after many months of negotiation but it has not yet been executed.

The maemo.org domain has not yet been transferred from Nokia to the Foundation.

The Board suffered a setback with the overlapping resignations of two of three Directors, including Chair, leaving only one Director while two are required to sign the Nokia contract, but the new Board is now up and running and I believe will address these two items in short order.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The contract between Nokia and the Foundation providing for the transfer of the maemo community has been completed after many months of negotiation but it has not yet been executed.
since I've learned I have to take each single word verbatim and evaluate it's true meaning carefully, when it comes to announcements from HiFo:

NO, there IS NO such thing as "transfer of maemo community" - you simply CANNOT transfer a community, at very least me (as part of such community) will refuse to get transferred anywhere. This IS maemo community, and it will STAY maemo community, focused on maemo OS (or whatever every single community member decides.will be her/his focus in the future)
The COMMUNITY is not owned by neither Nokia nor HiFo eventually, the community is BOSS of HiFo.

A quote from Hifo own website:
The Hildon Foundation, founded in September 2012, is a nonprofit organization elected by the Maemo Community...
sidenote: I asked HiFo about 6 months ago to reword that page since there's also no such thing like community oversight. You can't oversee a community, all you can do is provide services and ideas to such community. Not rule, serve!

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-21 at 00:10.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
I'm unclear on how we get to one council. What does the community need to do if they want that? What happens if there are nominations for two seperate councils and subsequent votes? Why not a referendum? That would be more clear imo.
Due to all sorts of legalese we seem to be not able to get MCC accepted as HFC by BoD, thus we elect for a MCC and in parallel for a HFC.
We will ask all candidates to run for both entites, and your Council strongly suggests that you vote identical for both entities. Together with the referendum about MCC rules that starts in a few days, we hope to have met all preconditions after the election so HFC can declare own entity identical to current MCC entity, which will finally unify the 2 council entities into one.
For this to work, you (the community) need to vote "yes" on referendum, and vote identical on both MMC and HFC vote, so this results in same persons in those two entities. We are planning to provide a technical way to simplify the latter for you. However if either of both, referendum or in-sync votes for HFC/MMC, fails, we won't have a unified council and will have to live on with 3 entities: 2 councils plus BoD.
Now it's all up to you.

jOERG
(MCC member)

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-21 at 16:54.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
[this here is the primary post, the one over at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=24 is a copy of this one. Please answer here!)

I'm nominating/suggesting for (mcc/hfc, see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...47&postcount=7) council:
*chemist
generalantilles
jaffa
*kerio
*me
mentalisttraceur
*merlin1991
*qwazix
*sixwheeledbeast
texrat
*thedead1440

I think * already has self-nominated, the others pending their accepting/rejecting to run

Please notice timetable at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89711 and particularly DEADLINE for nominations (resp the acceptance of those by nominees) which is
2013-04-23 23:59UTC:
Nomination Period for Board/Council Ends

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-22 at 23:10.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Well, since I am not allowed to vote I can only say Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by setter View Post
Well, since I am not allowed to vote I can only say Good Luck!
Why you're not allowed to vote? Please read the post with timetable *carefully*! And let's not discuss this in this thread please, it's not exactly relevant for the topic. If you have problems to vote, send a mail to council as suggested in above mentioned post.
/j

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
elections, pls don't feed, the troll