Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I use py2deb to build my own packages on my n900
and pygtkeditor to edit source ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Hi,

My first post here... So hi all!

One simple question. What are the minimal steps all steps, which I have to complet to do some development python develoment with n900 itself? I just want to write some little scripts and programs, and may be package them for distribution. I have tried to find how-to or tutorial for that, but I havent found.

Second question: is it possible to access phone functions, like SMS-sending from python scripts?

Thx,

-j

You had the answers to both questions on your screen while typing that message :-)

Answers to first question are in Khertan's post just above yours : install his pygtkeditor and py2deb packages, they will pull in python for maemo (pymaemo) as a dependency, and you will have all you need.

For the second question, at the top of the screen you have links to "development", "downloads" and "community". It takes a bit of searching to find the python stuff, which is not yet very up to date for Maemo5, but eventually you will hit the right place to ask :

https://garage.maemo.org/mailman/lis...emo-developers

Ok, thx! I have been a little bit confused, I have problems to find stuff here.

So, if I want to ask something spefic about developing with python, that mailinglist is right place to ask? Not this forum?

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Concerning the bindings for python ... Most of them are done by the PyMaemo team :

http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/

Originally Posted by jwi View Post
Ok, thx! I have been a little bit confused, I have problems to find stuff here.
Well understood, no problem ! Did you also spot the "Thanks" button at bottom right of each post ? That's part of the game :-)

So, if I want to ask something specific about developing with python, that mailinglist is right place to ask? Not this forum?
There are plans to lay bridges between the two, but as it is not currently the case, it doesn't hurt to ask in both places. There are more "real" developers on the mailing lists, but also savvy people on the forum who are not subscribed to the MLs. Just ask away, at least you're in the right section ! :-)

Originally Posted by realbite View Post
I have set up a build environment on the N900 based on the scratchbox rootstrap and used this to build debian packages on the N900 itself.

The build environment is installed onto a 8GB SD card that is formatted in ext3 and is executed in a chroot environment.
Hi,

I've done a build environment based on the scratchbox armel rootstrap too but I want to use it with qt4.6.
Everything works fine but libqt4-maemo5-dev.
When I try to run /opt/qt4-maemo5/bin/qmake, I have that answer :
Code:
sh : cannot execute binary file
I tried with easy-debian and with the sdk-image qole gave here too but same answer.
What's wrong ? I'm trying to recompile libqt4-maemo5-dev on the device now. I'll tell you if it works :/

edit : qt4.5.3 qmake works fine
edit2 : 20 minutes waiting only for a ./configure that has failed... qt4.6 is not for me yet

Last edited by Ph0b; 2009-12-09 at 16:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by realbite View Post
I have set up a build environment on the N900 based on the scratchbox rootstrap and used this to build debian packages on the N900 itself.
Could you make available an image of this environment, or perhaps a HOWTO on how to build such an environment?

--denis

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you want to make your own image:

1. Grab the most recent rootstrap image from the repository. At the time of this post, it is maemo-sdk-rootstrap_5.0_3.2010.02-8_armel.tgz.

2. Make an empty image file and format it using my instructions from this old post. You can do this on any computer.

3. As root, mount the empty image file, cd to the root of the mounted image, and untar the bootstrap into the image. This can also be done on any computer.

4. Unmount the image.

5. Use Easy Chroot (or do it the hard way if you insist) to chroot into the image! Remember to install the Nokia Binaries.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Could you make available an image of this environment, or perhaps a HOWTO on how to build such an environment?
you could also create a bootable Maemo5 without the 256mb limit using the Moebian scripts
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=95
and install the SDK on it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post: