Recently got a Samsung HS3000 - it's superb and works really well with the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
The Samsung HS3000 looks appealing:
uses microUSB, detachable headphones, nice clip design

While I was looking it up, the Samsung HM3700 was discovered. It's basically the same as the above, but the unit can be detached from the stereo headphones & used as a mono phone headset alone. That's appealing as a nice thing to have every now & then for no more space.

The Samsung HM6450 seems to be a higher-end version of the HM3700 with better mono headset functionality, but a review said that the HM3700 had better stereo audio performance.

I know it's probably not what You're looking for, but normally, I use bluetooth "adapter", which allow connection of any "jack" headphones + additional microphone (different port). This way, I use my *non* wireless Koss Spark and any microphone I feel fancy - both wirelessly.

It's very adaptable to different scenarios - for example, You can as good plug-in "big" stationary speakers (through jack) and stream music from N900 via bluetooth, or catch sound from distance via microphone.

It's also *much* cheaper than stereo headsets, with many brand and no-name things available. Overall, they offer same sound quality, as it depends purely on earphones plugged to it - sound itself is carried digitally via standardized bluetooth profile.
---

Of course, some people claim that connecting cable earphones to bluetooth "thing" isn't for them, as they don't like any inch of cable - yet, I like adaptability of such setup.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I used to use JayBird JB200 and liked it, but the battery died after a couple of years and they don't make them anymore. I don't like the square-in-the-ear style of their new one.

Now I use plantronics backbeat 903+. I like it too - music quality is actually a bit better than JB200 (which was rated highly when I had it), call quality a lot better, and whopping 7 hrs of battery life. Oh, and it charges thru micro usb (n900 charger will charge it, though it's charger will not charge the n900, even tho it's rated for 1A) And wonderfully, it was super cheap, less than half price of the JB200
As a downside it's a bit big and clunky. Doesn't look anywhere as slick as the Jaybird did. But I guess the size is needed to get that extra battery life. Also for my taste there are too many buttons on it - 5 in total.

Personally I'm not a fan of the S10 style headsets - I tried an S9 a while back and found not only BT receptions was not great, but also it was uncomfortable, esp while doing active stuff like running. And the bar behind the head made it practically impossible to wear while sitting in a tall seat (like on airplane or train) - uber fail for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to nman For This Useful Post:

off topic but this earphones came with my n9, and im quite surprised to see today a promotional pic of n9 with a diff type of headset, mine looks quite better though, is this same as yours? fellow n9 users?

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
If anyone's interested, I decided to go with the Samsung HS300 mentioned by phedders.

The Samsung HM3700 & HM6450 were appealing for their convertibility to mono over-the-ear headsets, but their headphone jack was USB & required a clunky adapter to use aftermarket headphones. The HS3000 uses a standard 3.5mm headset jack.

Maybe in the future all headphones will use micro USB plugs, but in the meantime not having to deal with an adapter on casual earphones in active situations is a convincer for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Since the whole point of using wireless headphones is to have no more wires, I wouldn't go for anything less than something like the plantronics backbeat. Never was easier to pull headphones out of the bag and start listening. Look, NO WIRES!

Originally Posted by petur View Post
Since the whole point of using wireless headphones is to have no more wires, I wouldn't go for anything less than something like the plantronics backbeat. Never was easier to pull headphones out of the bag and start listening. Look, NO WIRES!
Well I can think of several reasons for using bluetooth where wires are irrelevant:
  • You dont want to have to hold the device to your head - ie to be using a browser or terminal (I do unix support) whilst on a call
  • You want to be able to move about whilst still listening to music but not carry the phone
  • You want a mic always close to your mouth
  • You want to be hands free to cook, type, change nappies... whatever

Now the original Nokia buds can help a bit there - but not with the second point. But you get the choice of the Nokia buds or ... well thats it, since very few 'phones or buds include a Nokia compatible mic in the right place.

Now something like the HS3000 allows you:
  • to use any ear/head-phone/bud combo you like. Anything that has a 3.5mm jack
  • And anything that has a 3.5mm stereo jack includes your home stereo, PA system, car audio, wog-box....
  • And you can still use the mic where it should be... hands free.

When you buy a normal bluetooth headset you are limited to only using the audio reproduction device provided - ie the phones or bud in the device. You have no choice to use one with the sound you like, or a fit thats more comfortable, or your Hifi, car audio etc etc. Sure you can plug those into the phone... but the mic is in the phone place - it's on the phone so you cant be hands free unless you can perch the phone near your head.

So you see - the HS3000 and its ilk really works for some of us.

(PS. A year ago, I couldnt see the point either... )

The Following User Says Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post:
anyone tried the Nokia BH-905i? a bit pricey but i don't mind getting it if it's really good. been reading a few reviews it's 50-50 so far (some say it's really good, some say it's just okay and not the best).

Hi there,
i am looking (as the title says) for a stereo bt headset with IN-EAR which works fine for
a) telephoning
b) listening to music (usually with quite low volume, so there shouldn't be no background noise)
c) autoconnect with the n900
AND
d) works with kp v50+ (that is the main problem)

because my last bt headset (se mw600) randomly disconnects under kp v50+ and that's why i am switching.

so any ideas what to buy? - thanks in advance!