Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
In fact that's not a port, but just packaging. I only modified the desktop file to run it fullscreen. Looks like Civilization 3 and runs rather good on the device (though not perfect).

Screenshot:

The deb file is 25MB, so i won't post it on my hosting, if someone wants to mirror it - be welcome and let me know to put it here (since this is probably going to expire at some time):
http://maemobox.org/bundyo/freeciv_2.1.3-2_armel.deb

EDIT: Just tested - works much better with external server.

EDIT: New version is up - 2.1.3-2

Changes since 2.1.3-1:
* Map and minimap scroll on left click (stylus click).
* On long click and hold - show advanced menu.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-07-13 at 05:58.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Good work .. The best games porter We are waiting for Diablo 2

The Following User Says Thank You to linman For This Useful Post:
Ha-ha, very funny

Did you know there is a project on this already: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/freeciv . No releases, but it seems at least some of the UI is hildonized and development is ongoing. Maybe you should join forces, if you intend to continue with Freeciv?

This is not the standard GTK port, so no hildonizing is needed. Just SDL. In fact i didn't touch anything as i said - just packaging. I'm not intending to work on any hildonization.

Also i've already seen another port of FreeCiv, which was also GTK+. I don't know if it is the same since i found it rather by mistake on a ftp somewhere. I don't like the GTK+ client anyway

What about age of empires the first one? Its just a bunch of sprites, in fact i think warzone is more graphically demanding. Man i can think of a whole list i WANT YOU TO PORT! Good work man, keep it up. Dont stop. How bout whiplash from interplay? If you dont have a certain game i can up it for your testing porting purposes...

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
JFX, you have to realize that the reason a game like FreeCiv can be made available for the Internet Tablets is because its source code is available in order to compile executables that work on ARM processors. That's not the case with Age of Empires or Diablo 2 - those are closed source games that have only been made available in already-compiled form for x86 processors by their publishers and cannot be ported to the ITs.

In some cases, the open source community will write an open reimplementation of a game's engine to bring it to new platforms - Jagged Alliance 2 is an example - but that's not a quick "port", but usually represents a multi-year reverse engineering and implementation effort by a dedicated team of enthusiasts.

Well we can always hope for a port of Duke Nukem 3D then. The orginal source can be found here:
ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/source/duke3dsource.zip
And the source for the version working on Palm is here:
http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Softwa...duke3d_src.zip
It's screaming for some maemo porter to "Come get some!".

Now back on topic....Bundyo, thanks for the port. I'll try it out later today. This is truly great stuff! Thanks!!!

Last edited by Pushwall; 2008-02-17 at 15:21.

Originally Posted by Sho View Post
JFX, you have to realize that the reason a game like FreeCiv can be made available for the Internet Tablets is because its source code is available in order to compile executables that work on ARM processors. That's not the case with Age of Empires or Diablo 2 - those are closed source games that have only been made available in already-compiled form for x86 processors by their publishers and cannot be ported to the ITs.

In some cases, the open source community will write an open reimplementation of a game's engine to bring it to new platforms - Jagged Alliance 2 is an example - but that's not a quick "port", but usually represents a multi-year reverse engineering and implementation effort by a dedicated team of enthusiasts.
Right about closed-source, wrong about x86-only.

The Following User Says Thank You to ShayneOSU For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Why write all these ports for the N8X0 which, at best, will give you a half-arsed gaming experience?

Just wait two months and write ports for a true gaming system, the Pandora. You know, a system that actually has controls to play the games?

Tags
freeciv sdl, games, new port