On the N900, I love both. Even thought the Ovi Store on the N900 is nothing more that a mobile webpage, it is only a matter of time until Nokia transform it in in a real application. And even thought App Manager lacks major aspects like, Pictures, Reviews, Short by options etc is a great App Manager utility.

First of all having two different "doors" of software is simple annoying for everyone and confusing to the end/simple user.
And I agree N900/Maemo 5 was clearly aiming for geeks but with MeeGo going commercial, having two different "Applications Stores" in one device is simple WRONG.

I believe that Ovi Store and App Manager should be merge in MeeGo.

Nokia can simply add all Application Manager functions, like Application Catalogs/repositories, Updates and Uninstalls in Ovi Store. Then App Manager content can benefit from Ovi Store's abilities of Description, Pictures, Rating System, Reviews, Recommendations, the ability to filter apps by most popular, top free, top paid, most recent etc.

I really hope to see this happening on the upcoming Nokia Meego devices. What do you thing?

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2010-03-07 at 05:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Sadly doing this would mean 3rd party software, such as maemo.org Extras, would have no channel (as there is much stricker rules of submission under Ovi brand) and there then would be two application managers instead.

I think the submission system itself should be changed fundamentally, which would allow all available apps to be installable under Ovi brand. Of course it should be allowed to have any repository installed still, but the main source for apps should be Ovi Store for simplicity and marketing etc reasons.

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

app manager just should do both. maybe the app manager has an extra selection when you press 'download' and that is that you then can select 'ovi' or 'extras'
i dont see the relation between an app manager and ovi. Its not that the app manager IS ovi, it can do ovi..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
please don't. I do not trust ovi store. Take 3 apps, pay for 4 and shut up

There is absolutely NO REASON of having two Application Managers. Is confusing, is annoying, is unprofessional, is just STUPID.

And since Nokia is pushing Ovi Services like no tomorrow with Ovi Store being in the center of their strategy, if there is a possibility of merger, is very easy to figure out what stays and what is going...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I smell dependency hell with using rpm and multiple repositories...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
I really hope to see this happening on the upcoming Nokia Meego devices. What do you thing?
I think be careful what you wish for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post

First of all having two different "doors" of software is simple annoying for everyone and confusing to the end/simple user.
And I agree N900/Maemo 5 was clearly aiming for geeks but with MeeGo going commercial, having two different "Applications Stores" in one device is simple WRONG.

Not quite sure I understand your objection here.. why is it bad? Surely those who are purely end users will use Ovi by default, whilst the more geeky amoungst us will use app manager and repos? Maybe app manager could have 2 sections for Ovi and Other but any other integration would be detrimntal I feel..

The Following User Says Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:
I definitely do not want to turn this on a VS thread.
And please do not get me wrong, I do not mean that App Manager needs to go. I am talking about a merger of both Ovi Store and App Manager.

An Ovi Store, with the ability to add extra repositories, Update and Uninstall software is the perfect example of an App manager for me.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It is hard to merge fire and water The Ovi store folks still have not made up their mind about how to deal with open source projects. maemo.org apps outnumber Ovi apps by at least 10:1, so Ovi folks might fear they will be swamped, and that maemo.org apps might endanger the ones in Ovi. On the other hand, maemo.org IS the de-facto source for apps for the N900, it's Ovi that suffers from software anemia.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: