Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Sohil876 View Post
^Not maemo, thats for sure. Though sailfish OS could still be most intresting up to date linux base gnu like distro for mobile phones when it comes out (not sure). Theyre taking too much time though.
Taking too much time to do what? meet your expectations? Or the expectations of a bunch of people that have no idea how much work is involved in developing software, hardware, licensing, sales and marketing processes to support a full blown multinational commercial entity capable of providing ongoing updates, support, sales and device releases over long period of time, in competition with hardware and OS vendors that have a stranglehold on the existing market?
Of course, you could always go out and by a mozilla device if HTML5 is your thing.
Or better still, wait a bit longer and jump on the increasingly closed off, closed source, non upstream supporting fork monster that ubuntu is becoming......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Wait for jolla, or ubuntu phones... Maybe look at the new SG see if it can boot linux?
Maemo came and went.. And its now lingering in the afterlife... Waiting

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I would prefer for Hildon Foundation to buy N900 production license and documentation from Nokia - even if they insist that it should be produced under a drastically different name - and ask a Chinese or Korean or Taiwanese manufacturer to build devices based on these blueprints. The worst factor is that any of the hardware needed - camera, processor-CPU, memory-RAM, touchscreen - may be already unavailable from the original supplier - like, Texas Instruments. If the software for the hardware is open-source, then re-compilation for a different hardware will do. If the software for the hardware is closed-source, then reverse engineering of the software is urgently needed. The devices would be produced with CSSU-stable installed on them, by default, including Nokia's closed source binaries when necessary, since Nokia has given re-distribution rights to Hildon Foundation.
Best wishes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Rather than running with Nokia's version which is based on a hacked together fork of GTK as well as all the proprietary drivers, along with my own dislike of re-inventing the wheel, Cordia Project has already done a mountain of work and only really stalled when it came to hardware for a tablet.

this, from memory, is running Mer (see what I did there) as it's OS core and had also managed to port gtk3 across, with hildon UI sitting on top.

there are builds for n900 and resolution independant i586 builds available HERE

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
@onethreealpha
What's the n900 folder there?, did they port their own maemo to arm?
I imagine, if so, then the closed stuff like the phone wouldn't work right?

Edit: just checked there site, yip that's the case.

Shame, they just couldn't get a batch of cheap Chinese tablets and make a build for it and sell them.

I not sure if the sw would be compatible with freemantel?

Last edited by bingomion; 2013-05-15 at 05:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
@onethreealpha
What's the n900 folder there?, did they port their own maemo to arm?
I imagine, if so, then the closed stuff like the phone wouldn't work right?
Might be worth pm to smoku (not even sure if he still hangs here anymore) as he's the brains behind the project.

The original builds were based on the Meego Hardware adaptation for N900 with Hildon UI on top. This included an arm build of Meego CE for handsets with the closed (non-oss) binary drivers as provided by Nokia during the MeeGo project - Repo for Meego CE is still available, inlcuding the non-oss components for N900 and N9. there are complete packaged images for the n900 available @ repo.meego.com

N900 builds can be found HERE if you're interested.

smoku's work, from memory, centred around getting Hildon Ui running on top of MeeGo, and then Mer with changes to enable the use of gtk3 in it's upstream form, so as to allow for package upgrades that were not supported with the nokia fork.

He can give you much more info than I could.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ rochester
Well all great thoughts but still not enought support to get this project off the ground. I personaly dont have a time limit as to when this project should be done. What i would like is atleast 5 people that really want this to work. I also need a list of all the phones that can packet inject, if any one has that information.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ rochester
If anyone would like to take this as far as possible plz e mail me at thelen_10@hotmail.com

How many do you have to sell to make a project like this sustainable?
How many do you have to sell to get a proper cpu (not necessarily the latest and greatest) for a decent price?

Those are the most important questions. Then probable you have to buy display in sizes which are not much used by the big players, because they tend to hog the supply chain.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
How many do you have to sell to make a project like this sustainable?
How many do you have to sell to get a proper cpu (not necessarily the latest and greatest) for a decent price?

Those are the most important questions. Then probable you have to buy display in sizes which are not much used by the big players, because they tend to hog the supply chain.
Here's some more important questions:

Is it Arm or x86?
what is the hardware design? who doing the CAD and electrical schematics for the mainboard and SoC stack?
Who's doing the hardware adaptation for whatever product you want to put Maemo on?
If you're getting drivers from the h/w vendor, will they guarantee support and updates (since it's now out of your hands?) and at what cost? Or will they drop any and/or all support when THEY move to another SoC/chipset/GPU...
Who's going to work on and bugfix all the forked stuff that can't easily be replaced without major re-working of the OS?
who's going to do the UI adaptation for the screen resolution?
who providing the updates for coreOS.
who's going to set up and host the repo/
who's going to maintain, log and fix bugs?
who's going to get existing apps modified to run on the new screen resolution?
What IDE are you going to use for dev work?
Who will provide software builds for emulation?

shall I go on?

...better off waiting for Vivaldi tab and then work to replace plasma active with Hildon

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:

Tags
face palm, n900 successor, nokia n900 heir, op_on_drugs