Originally Posted by milanjakob View Post
i have a question about the pulley menu. if im scrolling through a list e.g. emails and want to use the pulley menu, do i have to go all the way back up again or is there another way?
You have to scroll back to top, unfortunately. It would have been nice if you could for instance long press and pull down for it. Currently long press opens up a small menu below the selected email, with options Move to, Mark as unread and Delete. In the top pulley menu the options are Sort by, Select emails, Update and New email.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Just don't use Android Can one actually purge all Android related packages from Sailfish without breaking anything?
Yes, one can even decide not to install Android support in the first place. It does not come preinstalled on the phone, but is available separately from the Jolla Store.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
There have been a lot of discussions on TMO about Android's "multitasking". I don't think you can open a terminal, type for i in `cat sites.txt`; do wget $i; done, go away and expect the wget to constantly run until all your URL's in sites.txt are retrieved.
Lets not go to too deep in this OT, but the terminal window program's backend could (should) be programmed to be Service and IntentService and it could do just that what you describe. Terminal's GUI would be a normal Activity which connects to that backend which is running CLI processes and bash. The GUI part could be killed in between when a user leaves it (the terminal window) to the background. Like I wrote, all code wanted to be run in the background should not be an Activity but a Service. It is easy for a programmer to know in advance, but hard for the OS to guess which code is wanted to run in the background no matter what. And it wastes battery life if we assume just all code to be equal in this sense.

Android seems to have done it right, because so many "normal users", like my mom, grandma can use Android-phones and Android-apps, even something like Samsung Mini (384 MB RAM). 80% market share (and necessity Jolla to support Android apps) would had not come if it just wouldn't work. Also Android's Java just seems to work good as a developing language and platform. It guides even bad app developers to make somewhat working apps which won't bring the whole system to its knees even if behaving badly.

About future of Jolla's Android app-support. I think it would be good if in the future the Android apps which are in the Pause- or Stop-state, not yet killed but resident in the RAM, would show in the Sailfish's task manager as separate apps. There could be a setting for ACL, whether user wants to show just one ACL subwindow in the task manager like it is now, or all Android apps which are still in the RAM-memory (Running, Paused, Stopped) or the latest run N Android apps (like the default task manager in Android shows them). Especially if Sailfish is ported and sold later to endusers with hardware like Note 3, which has 3 GB RAM, a user can then easily run several Android and native JollaOS apps and quickly switch between them through the task manager.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Can you go into more detail about limitations, if any...
Surely not all aspects of Play Store are working flawlessly?
No they don't, but some 95% works.

I was able to buy music and play it today, but when I tried to install Google Play Music (player), GooglePlay crashed, and it kept crashing after a reboot too. I had to clear up /data/dalvik-cache and reinstall/relink (ln -s) phonesky.apk to /data/app to get it working again. Possibly clearing up just com.android.vending under it might have been enough.

I probably mentioned somewhere that Chrome installs and its menus work, but it does not render canvas. I would have been nice to see that working...

Google Maps is working, but GPS and location services are not. Nor do we have regular android location Settings to configure them (there are Google settings, but that is not enough).

Besides of that there has not been many problems. Occasional GooglePlay crash that haven't caused any further problems. I can buy stuff, and non Google applications have all worked fine. (Youtube is ok too.)

Note: you don't have to install everything in tutorial on this page:
http://jollafin.blogspot.fi/2013/11/...for-jolla.html

Phonesky.apk (GooglePlay store) is already under the signed package that gets copied in the rsync of system directory, and Google Play Service is not absolute necessity unless you wish to update store (I think). So you should need only the signed package contents to get GooglePlay store working:
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

Basically the installation of any regular android apps seems to be a process of copying apk file under /data/app. This makes them to pop up in Jolla app menu too.

With Google Apps that get installed under /opt/alien/system/app, you may have to create symbolic links (ln -s) from /opt/alien/system/app to /data/app. Or plain install Phonesky.apk as I did the first time. Note that you don't have to install all of the apps, and Phonesky (and reboot after that) was enough for me.
I later did links for the rest just in case, but it didn't seem to have much effect in results.

After all these however, you may get errors about google voice search, for instance. You can get rid of these by simple unlinking/deleting GoogleEars.apk from the /data/app, and also just in case from /opt/alien/system/app directories, and rebooting.

The guide uses command
'rsync -av --ignore-existing /home/nemo/dir_that_has_gapps/system /opt/alien'
for initial installation of the gapps on the device.

(Remember the backup before doing that with
'cp -r /opt/alien/system /opt/alien/system_bak')

It is wise to do this copying of whole Gapps system directory for now. Cherry picking can be done later when all the Gapps pieces required for basic functionality can be confirmed. It is likely that for just GooglePlay store functionality not all of those are important. But for some other apps, using login stuff or editing your calendar through your account, would not work with just google framework apk and store installed.

This is still quite a lot of fumbling in the dark, but we really do have a (well enough) working GooglePlay in our hands.

EDIT: Made it a bit clearer whether rsync of the whole system directory from the signed package is necessary or not.

Last edited by Manatus; 2013-12-02 at 20:04.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
UX on SailfishOS Questions
Can any of you with the Jolla explain how these process went (actions versus your expectations)
- receive contact information in an email, initiate a phone call from the info in the email
- [same scenario] copy information into the calendar for upcoming meeting, send meeting request to person(s) on that email, update appointment
- connect to another accessory using Bluetooth, WiFi/DNLA, or NFC/Bluetooth - what worked, what didn't, how long did it take you from deciding to transfer something to it being on the other device
- while on a call, quickly disconnect, then get back on the line with the person (how did the device respond to the switch in/out of the telephone app/service, how did the network seem to respond)
- how long does it take to put device into a silent state when an alarm/ringer is going off, and the device isn't in your hand - what steps did you do to quench the sounds

These are mostly normal UX questions, and things not always covered in reviews. But, in terms of evaluating the UX against and with other platforms, these are the kinds of questions which make a lot of sense to ask. Have at it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Talking about alarms, is an alarm be able to bring up the notification if it triggers when the phone is off?
I tested it and Jolla started booting when the time came but during the boot it went back down without actually playing the alarm. Seems like a bug.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
someone posted a dmesg that showed 28 partitions(!). Anything weird on the filesystems? Lots of Android stuff?
Typical on Qualcomm HW. We removed a few and merged them into a giant 'sailfish' btrfs with subvolumes.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Anyone get the flickr android app to work? won't allow me to log in, though yahoo mail does

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
- how long does it take to put device into a silent state when an alarm/ringer is going off, and the device isn't in your hand - what steps did you do to quench the sounds
Alarm: About three seconds. Touching the screen with a finger and then either pushing up (dismiss) or pulling down (snooze) and then releasing.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Does the jPhone ship with a frog sound for SMS notification?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience