Notices

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by edt View Post
I am not have any luck on my n800 with the new version. When ever it tries to use the library it hangs. This happens when I let it try to convert - after 15 mins I killed it... Then I removed the .FBReader dir and tried again. This time it will start and I can get in options. If I try to add a book (from a local fs) I can select it, but it hangs when trying to put it in the library.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. Are there new libs used that are not in the deps?
There shouldn't be any new libs, no, and missing libs would cause it to fail to start at all (though older libs could cause this sort of issue). I'll do some tests on my N800 and see whether I can reproduce the issue - what book formats are you using? Also, have you updated to the community firmware release? And can you try running "apt-get upgrade" as root to check whether there's newer versions of any of the libraries available?

Funny how people are different - I absolutely hate having text to reread when I flip a page...
Thankfully that one's configurable

Why not introduce a toggle to/from full screen by tapping around the middle of the screen. I appreciate much this feature of the MGutenberg reader and would like to see it in my preferred FBreader. Currently this is not easy - have to use the pop-up menu or keyboard.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
There shouldn't be any new libs, no, and missing libs would cause it to fail to start at all (though older libs could cause this sort of issue). I'll do some tests on my N800 and see whether I can reproduce the issue - what book formats are you using? Also, have you updated to the community firmware release? And can you try running "apt-get upgrade" as root to check whether there's newer versions of any of the libraries available?
I had fun with this one. Tried all sort of things. strace helped in that it showed lots of file activity when it was hanging.

I have lots of books. Many live in zip files with many books per zip. I first tried telling it not to scan for books - it still hung. Then I removed the paths (library tab) it had to scan for books. Now it works but is very slow when entering the a 'books' dir or when responding to the selection of a book.

Looks like it always tries to scan if a path exists.

The network support is nice. Any chance it could be configured to understand a calibre web service? It would need to know an addressort and user/password. Here this would be very handy as I try to keep my books indexed with calibre.

Thanks for enhancing FBReader - this app gets used a lot here.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Same here. Both "open the library" and "add a book" seem to run forever without actually opening a book.

Originally Posted by virtual View Post
Why not introduce a toggle to/from full screen by tapping around the middle of the screen. I appreciate much this feature of the MGutenberg reader and would like to see it in my preferred FBreader. Currently this is not easy - have to use the pop-up menu or keyboard.
You can also enable the fullscreen button in the indicator bar or (on the N900 anyway), the fullscreen overlay button. Tapping in the middle of the screen could be added, but would conflict with tap-to-scroll and tap-to-search-dictionary.

I had fun with this one. Tried all sort of things. strace helped in that it showed lots of file activity when it was hanging.

I have lots of books. Many live in zip files with many books per zip. I first tried telling it not to scan for books - it still hung. Then I removed the paths (library tab) it had to scan for books. Now it works but is very slow when entering the a 'books' dir or when responding to the selection of a book.

Looks like it always tries to scan if a path exists.
Didn't realise it looked in ZIP files - mine are all epub files, so there's no point in zipping them up. I'll try to play around with this a bit anyway.

The network support is nice. Any chance it could be configured to understand a calibre web service? It would need to know an addressort and user/password. Here this would be very handy as I try to keep my books indexed with calibre.
I'll have a look at this - providing the calibre service is rich enough and the FBReader configuration options are flexible enough then it should be easy enough to add.

A quick update on dictionary support - MStarDict looks to be working fine now, but I'm having a few issues getting QStarDict working properly (mostly, I think, due to the dbus implementation in scratchbox being very flaky). I'll post up a new version once it's all working, along with .deb files for QStarDict and MStarDict (and the patches).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I do hope in the future user added menu items could be available such as change font and move to next/prev toc section. But at this point I am just too spoiled, it is pretty great as it is

Speaking of ePub-files: is there anything documented on the support for CSS? I'm having a hell of a time getting top and bottom margins to take effect

That said: kudos, and plenty of it, for all the improvements you've made to FBReader. I think you've actually covered most of what I object to, last I wrote about it ....

fbreader is now the absolute best n900 ereader for left handed, fingernail-less, full screen wanting, oreilly table of content reading users...

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
fbreader is now the absolute best n900 ereader for left handed, fingernail-less, full screen wanting, oreilly table of content reading users...
What is that making fbreader the best for left-handed users? Hehe no complaining here for the right-side placement of the stylus. I don't know of whether my eyes have some sort of unambidextrous behavior.