Active Topics

I have to Say I'm very impressed when I heard about this phone and I will probably buy because all sign point to the phone coming to T-Mobile USA. Specs we all want specs ok 1ghz Samsung processor, 5mp camera that shoots hd video but no flash in the camera, 521mb of ram, front facing camera however us versions don't have this, 4 inch super amoled display 800x480, and Android 2.1 with Touchwiz 3.0. My only problems with the Galaxy S would be the touchwiz ui makes it to weird looking and lack of flash in the camera. I have always thought of Touch Wiz as a iPhone and Android got drunk and had an unholy child and there you go it very iPhonish and very Androidish to but there should be a way to disable TouchWiz.
Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/16/s...axy-s-preview/
What do you guys think.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-06-22 at 22:26.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
touchwiz is ok to me, but "galaxy s" sounds like its a cut-down version of the galaxy...?!

anyway, now that i have a n900, i dont see myself buying a phone with hardware keyboard anytime again.
though samsung wave is sexy as hell.

btw i had a samsung jet before and i really liked it, especially the built-in panorama-function of the camera. does this one has this as well?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
My workmate who sits next to me got one. (in Australia)
Been playing with it. My 2cents:

- Really vibrant and very nice size screen. Wacthing videos is justs so much better on it than my N900. The 0.5" size is huge.

- It plays 720P videos downloaded off the net perfectly. 1280x720 resolution MKV files with H264 and AC3 plays butter smooth. Same with 720P xvid videos with AC3. Haven't tried ones with DTS yet. Also, the videos are crystal clear. Has option of stretch to screen or keep ratio. So as a video player on the go, it can't be beat nearly.

- Games play with amazing framerate. Man, wish N900 had some decent proper 3D games. I guess we'll never get them. Well, maybe 1 or 2. Whoopee.

- Supports so many input languages out of the box. Nearly all european and asian languages. Even handwriting recognition for Korean out of the box. Awesome. Nokia needs to learn from this.

Anyways. It's a great Android device. Probably the best one out there currently. In terms of hardware, it is the best.
This makes me itchy to find out what we'll get to see end of this year and next year. Bring on the super phones!

btw, seen the HTC HD3 specs? 1280x800 4.5" display! wow.
Where is Nokia's super duper amazing next-gen phone?!?! Nokia needs to step up.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
HD3 is fake.

*Face palm*

The Following User Says Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
HD3 is fake.

*Face palm*
Is it? LOL If so, ah well.

But considering Qualcomm annouced dual core Snapdragon CPUs that can do 1080p video recording/playback and that Android 3.0 has support for 1280x760 res displays, I can't imagine it being any worse for our future phones. Looking at Galaxy S, Samsung will have something as good or better than that fake HD3 up their sleeves already.

My workmate who sits next to me got one. (in Australia)
Been playing with it. My 2cents:

- Really vibrant and very nice size screen. Wacthing videos is justs so much better on it than my N900. The 0.5" size is huge.

- It plays 720P videos downloaded off the net perfectly. 1280x720 resolution MKV files with H264 and AC3 plays butter smooth. Same with 720P xvid videos with AC3. Haven't tried ones with DTS yet. Also, the videos are crystal clear. Has option of stretch to screen or keep ratio. So as a video player on the go, it can't be beat nearly.

- Games play with amazing framerate. Man, wish N900 had some decent proper 3D games. I guess we'll never get them. Well, maybe 1 or 2. Whoopee.

- Supports so many input languages out of the box. Nearly all european and asian languages. Even handwriting recognition for Korean out of the box. Awesome. Nokia needs to learn from this.

Anyways. It's a great Android device. Probably the best one out there currently. In terms of hardware, it is the best.
This makes me itchy to find out what we'll get to see end of this year and next year. Bring on the super phones!

I don't think the average customer cares about the specs.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I don't think the average customer cares about the specs.
I never said anywhere about average customers. I'm certainly not average.
Considering you are at TMO, you aren't average customers either.

These phones are not cheap. Are high end phones generally for the upper end of the market or for tech savvy people. Although I can say that Galaxy S is definitely mum-friendly also while N900 is not as much. Well, I still prefer my N900 but Galaxy S definitely has its stronger points that N900 just cannot match.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-07-04 at 05:18.

I never said anywhere about average customers. I'm certainly not average.
Considering you are at TMO, you aren't average customers either.

These phones are not cheap. Are high end phones generally for the upper end of the market or for tech savvy people. Although I can say that Galaxy S is definitely mum-friendly also while N900 is not as much. Well, I still prefer my N900 but Galaxy S definitely has its stronger points that N900 just cannot match.
The phone will be on all carriers in the US even US cellular. So yes it is an average customers phone. There are many average people who buy high-end devices such as the Droid or Droid Incredible. So it is an average consumer phone.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
The phone will be on all carriers in the US even US cellular. So yes it is an average customers phone. There are many average people who buy high-end devices such as the Droid or Droid Incredible. So it is an average consumer phone.
Well, the word "average" is being used in a very different context here. Being on all carriers does not make it an average consumer phone. If N900 was on all carriers, it still wouldn't make it an average consumer's phone that's for sure. (lol, some might jump at me saying N900 is not even a phone)

Anyways. Specs are important. Apple touts their hardware specs with super fancy words and numbers. They know that people care about the numbers even if they don't know what they actually mean in the real world. Works wonders in sales of computers and digital cameras as well. Apple did wonders to make the iPhone a "cool" thing to have and become a trend setter. Now many buy it even if it's inferior in so many ways. But there are many who still care. So you can't simply group the "average consumers" to one or the other. There are many types of average consumers out there still.

Well, the word "average" is being used in a very different context here. Being on all carriers does not make it an average consumer phone. If N900 was on all carriers, it still wouldn't make it an average consumer's phone that's for sure. (lol, some might jump at me saying N900 is not even a phone)

Anyways. Specs are important. Apple touts their hardware specs with super fancy words and numbers. They know that people care about the numbers even if they don't know what they actually mean in the real world. Works wonders in sales of computers and digital cameras as well. Apple did wonders to make the iPhone a "cool" thing to have and become a trend setter. Now many buy it even if it's inferior in so many ways. But there are many who still care. So you can't simply group the "average consumers" to one or the other. There are many types of average consumers out there still.
The Galaxy S is designed to be an average consumer phone. The ui is designed to be simple an very user friendly.