Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

It is possible that I round 1.5 seconds up to 2 whilst szopin down to 1.
It is also possible that our expectations differ. As far as I am concerned, even one second is a "noticeable delay". I remember my Palm 12 years ago, with a 6x slower CPU and 100x less RAM that started applications instantly. I do not compare my Jolla to some mythical CrapPhone that may be even slower, I compare it to a 12 years old piece of kit that was faster.
Wait a minute, you were saying you run 1 gig ram device and browser worked fine?? You had instant applications there, or was swapping an issue, that is like an extra second?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Wait a minute, you were saying you run 1 gig ram device and browser worked fine?? You had instant applications there, or was swapping an issue, that is like an extra second?
I don't know where that came from but as it happens, yes, I am typing this reply on a 1 GB device. And guess what? The browser does indeed work fine. It starts instantly, not in 3 seconds. Also, no reloading when you switch between tabs; select&copy work fine, as does search in the page; no disco lights when loading a page with more than two images; the pages load in an instant; the battery lasts about a week... No, that device is not my Jolla. It is my daughter's one year old Lenovo tablet, running Android 4.1.

I use a Jolla as my main device. I have my own reasons to prefer it over other systems but I do it in a full knowledge and acceptance of its shortcomings and I do not succumb to the illusion of its grandeur. Sailfish is far from grand. It is a slow, inefficient resource hog. It is at least 5 years behind the curve and too conceited to admit it and learn from the competition to even try to catch up. In a word, it is too little too late. I like it and use it not because I think it is the "best", whatever that might mean, but despite knowing very well that it isn't.

Sorry about that little rant. It is well past 1am and I am tired. But I had to somehow vent my frustration when I see so much denial as I have seen in the past couple of pages in this and this thread. Good night.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't know where that came from but as it happens, yes, I am typing this reply on a 1 GB device. And guess what? The browser does indeed work fine. It starts instantly, not in 3 seconds. Also, no reloading when you switch between tabs; select&copy work fine, as does search in the page; no disco lights when loading a page with more than two images; the pages load in an instant; the battery lasts about a week... No, that device is not my Jolla. It is my daughter's one year old Lenovo tablet, running Android 4.1.
Wow, android conquers the desktop, pichlo, the guy who was against >64kb bloat went android and praises it, instant firefox load and webpages also at 0s lol, not even S6 does that ffs

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Probably because of opinions like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jolla/comme...urvive/czux10g

You can bash communication all you want (except when it comes from haters), but if your flagship just lags, not much else to say, such opinions are dime a dozen, would love to see UT on jolla and the speed it gets
The problem that it's opinion. Saying "faster, better and etc" is not different than telling "more mature".
What versions were compared? Why you call those flagships? IS HW on both similuar to compare and when it was done?
I bet any UT fan would say exact opposite opinion btw.

And meanwhile regarding stability and maturity — "Stopping 'Internet Sharing' causes reboot" https://together.jolla.com/question/...causes-reboot/

Does this mean that if there is an regression in some update, the whole platform should be considered unstable and immature? And does this criteria apply to every platform or only those that need to be bashed for some reason?

Wow, android conquers the desktop, pichlo, the guy who was against >64kb bloat went android and praises it, instant firefox load and webpages also at 0s lol, not even S6 does that ffs
You don't get it, do you. I do not praise Android. I say, look, even bloody Android that everyone knows for and uses as an example of its inefficiency can do things faster and manage its resources better than "super efficient" Sailfish. Your emperor is naked, dammit.

And I never said "Firefox". I said "browser". As in, the pre-installed, stock browser. The Android's equivalent of Sailfish Browser. I have no idea how fast or slow Firefox is. I have never felt the need to try since the default browser does everything I ever wanted it to do just fine. All I can say is, if Firefox is slow, then it is squarely Firefox's fault. I do not ask what A does better that it out-performs B. I ask what B does worse that it cannot keep up with A.

Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Does this mean that if there is an regression in some update, the whole platform should be considered unstable and immature?
Whaaaat? Of course! How can you even ask such a question?

And does this criteria apply to every platform or only those that need to be bashed for some reason?
All, of course. Not only those that need pretending they are faultless for some reason.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Does this mean that if there is an regression in some update, the whole platform should be considered unstable and immature? And does this criteria apply to every platform or only those that need to be bashed for some reason?
There is difference between regression and something that triggers rebbot. Especially when it's not first time where modem/data realted issues triggered reboot.
And yes it's unstable if it randomly reboots.

It's not about bashing, it's about saing that UT is less mature and Jolla is more stable just to say that with no proper explanation, where I provided an example of those assumptions being false and that I still would like to hear the real example and explanation and not any overrating "my os is best" from BOTH (not only jolla but UT as well) sides.
Currently I see both are not mature enuf. but UT is FOSS at least

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
The state before the OOM killer was worse though. The OS was basically unusable at that point and Jolla lost a lot of users, including some I knew personally. I thought Sailfish really matured after they got over that and the other problems caused by the Qt5.2 migration, just before the tabletgate stuff kicked off. Alien dalvik finally managed to run background services reliably, general performance and fluidity increased. It's a shame they lost that momentum.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
There is difference between regression and something that triggers rebbot.
Like those funny text messages that reboot your iPhone? It's not that uncommon you know.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund