Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
@phuig you sent me two last files. i need at least two first.
I sent you all the files that are in the whatsapp logs folder, I only have whatsapp_log2.tar and whatsapp_log3.tar. Never even opened it before, so I have not deleted them.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Messing with text files in this kind of configurations is stupid in my opinion.
I agree. That file is not supposed to be edited by the user or by applications, that's why nobody has even tried to make it easily editable by applications (otherwise it'd have been a "privileges.d"-style folder where each application can install a list of required privileges as separate file).

There will be a proper permissions system in place, we're just not there yet. And yes, for Harbour, the current way is restricting access by default and then only explicitly granting permissions.

If you don't go the Harbour way, and really wanted to solve this somehow *right now*, you could e.g. have a postinst/prerm scriptlet that adds/removes your application binary file to the permissions file. That's still hack-ish and might require reinstalling of your application after a system upgrade.

Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I would love if there would be proper security and limitations for apps. I also want to be in charge of what permissions each app can get in my phone. It is nice if system could ask once if I want to grant Mitäkuuluu an access to contacts but it is not ok when system denies the access without asking anything and it is not ok if no harbour application can get such permissions.
Yes, that's coming. On the other hand, I'd argue that it's also not okay if every Harbour application would get all permissions (accessing contacts, etc..) by default without asking you. So for now, you kind-of can grant access to any such application manually already (by editing the privileges file as root), but not yet through some nice UI means.

Once a proper permissions system is in place, of course Harbour apps will be able to make use of it (and through that, get access to contacts if the user wants the app to get access to contacts).

By the way, with developer mode enabled, you can use "devel-su --privileged" to get a setgid privileged shell. For non-Harbour apps, you could have a setuid root helper that does setuid(nemo) + setgid(privileged) and then runs your application, which would also make it work. The implementation is left as an exercise to the reader.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
hm. you mean setuid and setgid are not restricted? good then, i'll just put binary itself to privileged group and it will work again.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
i have edited the privileges file and added harbour-mitakuuluu and harbour-mitakuuluu-server to it with all the permissions available, however not even that fixed the problem. i see the list of contacts but i cannot import them in mitakuuluu. i've also tried starting mitakuuluu from a privileged console with the same result mentioned above.
although i understand why there is a need to restrict certain permissions from apps, completly blocking them is not the way. so far half the apps on my jolla come from openrepos and i would say the ones i mostly use are openrepos apps. at this point jolla is really shoting itself in the leg by blocking out non harbour apps. they should encourage developers like coderus rather than driving him to drop his project.

Originally Posted by thp View Post
I agree. That file is not supposed to be edited by the user or by applications, that's why nobody has even tried to make it easily editable by applications (otherwise it'd have been a "privileges.d"-style folder where each application can install a list of required privileges as separate file).

There will be a proper permissions system in place, we're just not there yet. And yes, for Harbour, the current way is restricting access by default and then only explicitly granting permissions.

If you don't go the Harbour way, and really wanted to solve this somehow *right now*, you could e.g. have a postinst/prerm scriptlet that adds/removes your application binary file to the permissions file. That's still hack-ish and might require reinstalling of your application after a system upgrade.

Yes, that's coming. On the other hand, I'd argue that it's also not okay if every Harbour application would get all permissions (accessing contacts, etc..) by default without asking you. So for now, you kind-of can grant access to any such application manually already (by editing the privileges file as root), but not yet through some nice UI means.

Once a proper permissions system is in place, of course Harbour apps will be able to make use of it (and through that, get access to contacts if the user wants the app to get access to contacts).

By the way, with developer mode enabled, you can use "devel-su --privileged" to get a setgid privileged shell. For non-Harbour apps, you could have a setuid root helper that does setuid(nemo) + setgid(privileged) and then runs your application, which would also make it work. The implementation is left as an exercise to the reader.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Hi everybody.
I'm completely new to TMO. Or basically I was just a passive reader for a long time now.

I'm now using Jolla as my main phone and struggling with the latest contact sync problems. I've read all available information about this topic so far. So here are my two cents:

1. I started with a fresh install of v0.1-24 on Sailfish 1.0.3.8
2. In Mitäkuuluu only my groups were present on the start/contacts page. No contact so far.
3. Adding or syncing phone book contacts ended in an infinite loop
4. When I receive a message, contact is added to available contacts in Mitäkuuluu. whatsapp.db file is changed
5. Then I've done this and rebooted the phone:
So you can still use current mitakuuluu version, but you need to modify /usr/share/mapplauncherd/privileges and add lines:
Code:
/usr/bin/harbour-mitakuuluu,p
/usr/bin/harbour-mitakuuluu-server,p
and do it after each system update
6. When adding contacts now I can see my complete phone book with multiple entries per contact (one for each number)
7. Selecting some contacts for syncing or using pulley menu to sync whole phone book brings me back to Mitäkuuluu main page, with no effect.
8. checking in terminal reveals that whatsapp.db file has not changed
9. Then I followed this advice:
hm. you mean setuid and setgid are not restricted? good then, i'll just put binary itself to privileged group and it will work again.
by doing this:
Code:
devel-su
chgrp privileged /usr/bin/harbour-mitakuuluu
chgrp privileged /usr/bin/harbour-mitakuuluu-server
10. It has no effect, as I'm still not able to add contacts in Mitäkuuluu
11. I undid the changes in number 5. by commenting out the two lines and rebooted phone.
12. --> changes in number 9 have same effect as in number 5

So basic outcome is, that for some reason the whatsapp.db is not updated when you try to add contacts in Mitäkuuluu.
Even adding the whatsapp.db to privileged group does not bring any positive change
Code:
devel-su
chgrp privileged /home/nemo/.whatsapp/whatsapp.db
@coderus:
a. I will send you logfile and .db file for investigation.
b. Contacts (once available) are shown with either pushname or like "first name last name". Will it be possible to decide how to display contacts in contact list?

The Following User Says Thank You to Eische For This Useful Post:
@phuig you sent me two last files. i need at least two first.
Since I don't have the files, would reseting the device work? Don't wanna do it if the same problem persists even after a reset. Opinions?

Oh and by the way, mitakuuluu also started deleting messages. Either by showing that there are for example 10 new messages, and when I check the chat there are only 2 new, rest are gone before I've had a chance to read them. Or, I have 30 messages, leave chat, re-enter and 20 messages have vanished.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@phuig pull down and selecting "Load old messages" not working for you?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Thanks thp! setguid really works with contacts access, at least for now. Anyway there must be some solution how to get access for harbour applications and it must be there soon. And I mean that because what this platform and Jolla phone is lacking most is useful applications, applications and applications. Only then there can be consumers buying these phones.

There are already few very good apps, including this one in subject, but very little official support for developer community. There is lot of unofficial communication and connections between devs and jolla which is good, but only if you are somehow already an insider in community. Anyway the reality is that although Jolla is business they need community, they need community developers and they need those developers who are not in that community, yet. I know that time and effort will fix these issues, but is there time enough and resources enough to fix all. I do not know.

Hi, I just updated the phone to 1.0.3.8
I found that there's no lock screen notification of mitakuuluu...
is there any fix for it??

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Originally Posted by yabush View Post
Hi, I just updated the phone to 1.0.3.8
I found that there's no lock screen notification of mitakuuluu...
is there any fix for it??
What do you mean? That the LED is not flashing?

Because I have notification icons both on the lockscreen and the notification view (with Sailfish 1.0.3.8). Both are small versions of the contacts avatar picture. I'm not sure if there is a default icon for contacts without avatar picture.

Tags
coderus, it's a trapp, jolla, sailfish, whatsapp, whatscrapp