Hi, I would like to boot from the standard 64mb rs mmc card that comes with the nokia 770. I was wondering if someone could tell me (noob) exactly what i need to do since the wiki instructions seem to be for a 1gb card. Any help is much appreciated.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm quite the n00b too; however you will need more than just a 64mb card to boot from the MMC. I've seen people talk about 512mb, but 1gb would be the most comfortable starting position I think.

Doesnt the internal memory only have 64mb as well? shouldnt it work for 64mb card as well or am i missing something?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
You're missing a few things.

a) Internal non-volatile flash memory on the 770 is 128MB (with 64MB volatile RAM - and double both figures for the N800)

b) the content of the internal flash memory is compressed using the jffs2 filesystem, so you will need *more* than 128MB to store it all when it is copied to an uncompressed filesystem such as ext2... a rule of thumb suggests a 256MB partition on MMC although even this wouldn't be enough if you had managed to stuff your internal memory full of apps before copying it to MMC.

256MB should be enough for most systems, but won't represent a significant increase over the original internal capacity assuming an average 2:1 compression ratio. If more capacity is your aim then use a 512MB ext2 partition (roughly equivalent to a 256MB jffs2 partition).

You'll have no luck copying even an "empty" (freshly flashed) system to 64MB MMC, and even if it were possible you would almost certainly have no storage left to install any applications. Assuming the system even booted.

Go buy a bigger card, at least 1GB - they're dirt cheap.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
You're missing a few things.

a) Internal non-volatile flash memory on the 770 is 128MB (with 64MB volatile RAM - and double both figures for the N800)

b) the content of the internal flash memory is compressed using the jffs2 filesystem, so you will need *more* than 128MB to store it all when it is copied to an uncompressed filesystem such as ext2... a rule of thumb suggests a 256MB partition on MMC although even this wouldn't be enough if you had managed to stuff your internal memory full of apps before copying it to MMC.

256MB should be enough for most systems, but won't represent a significant increase over the original internal capacity assuming an average 2:1 compression ratio. If more capacity is your aim then use a 512MB ext2 partition (roughly equivalent to a 256MB jffs2 partition).

You'll have no luck copying even an "empty" (freshly flashed) system to 64MB MMC, and even if it were possible you would almost certainly have no storage left to install any applications. Assuming the system even booted.

Go buy a bigger card, at least 1GB - they're dirt cheap.
That's some awesome information. Thanks Milhouse. Is there any specific steps (I know there is a dual boot application but I hvn't tried if it works on MMC) to make the system bootable from a 2GB card? I am very interested in doing that.

Thanks

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Try these instructions - the wiki has details on partitioning.