Active Topics

I actually didn't have such problems after applying the workaround. On the other hand I rarely use it, so may be that detection never kicked in. If they do such a thing - it's really mean, and nasty of them. Plan already includes payment for traffic, and whether packets come from the handset of from a device attached to it should not be their business.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I already includes payment for traffic, and whether packets come from the handset of from a device attached to it should not be their business.
I agree with you to an extent, but mobile broadband is a different ball game compared to your home connection.

The infrastructure is vastly smaller and would literally buckle under strain if everyone were to tether and so able to consume more bandwidth so easily.

Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
Today when I tried the Wifi Hotspot with my laptop, I got forwarded to the T-Mobile web site telling me to sign up for the Wifi hotspot service. Same result when I tried USB tethering with the laptop.

I use the hotspot or tethering a few times a week, so I think this is something new T-Mobile US has put in. I thought they asked the user to sign up only if they're using Android ICS, seems now they're moving to other platforms.

Anyone has seen this also? and know any workaround?

The block seems only on web only, using user-agent likely, as I can still use other data applications (also strangely enough some google sites still working, like search and image).
I had the same issue weeks ago while using my Nexus 7 via bluetooth PAN. I worked around the issue by using Opera Mobile instead of Chrome. They must filter by agent string.

Luckily for me it stopped filtering the Chrome user agent all of a sudden. Maybe the proxies are set up different dependent on the location of the towers.

Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
The infrastructure is vastly smaller and would literally buckle under strain if everyone were to tether and so able to consume more bandwidth so easily.
I think that's what they want everyone to believe, but really - there is more than enough bandwidth for everyone, and they just simply need another pretense to squeeze your money. Especially in US where the whole situation is pretty sick because of the lack of competition in general (even in the landline Internet):

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...130914030.html

The mobile providers situation isn't any better.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
They are filtering by user Agent. I heavily use the wifi hotspot feature and tether my n900 to my laptop and noticed this happening around June. My browser of preference is Google Chrome so this message kept on popping up.

If you access secure https webpages on Chrome, you will bypass the "Buy our wifi hotspot tmobile service" page.

Alternatively, I switched to using Firefox which isn't being "user-agent blocked" so I'm free to do any sort of browsing there.

Firefox, Opera, and IE 9 (don't) seem to not be blocked, so use those instead.

A few months ago I changed my T-mobile plan to a pre-paid one. Spot On and Wifi Hotspot worked before the change but didn't after I tried it on the new plan. I noticed they had a tethering add-on for pre-paid so figured they had spotted me.

I just tried it again now for fun and was able to connect my N900 to it and load email/TMO so it definitely still works, despite my previous experience.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Ridgecrest, California, USA
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
I had the same issue weeks ago while using my Nexus 7 via bluetooth PAN. I worked around the issue by using Opera Mobile instead of Chrome. They must filter by agent string.

Luckily for me it stopped filtering the Chrome user agent all of a sudden. Maybe the proxies are set up different dependent on the location of the towers.
I've never bumped into this, but then again, I tunnel through SSH (to add encryption and compression) to my server running squid as a caching/ad-filtering/anonymizing proxy that sets my user-agent to "By allowing me access, you waive all rights and policies regarding my access."

Of course, just the tunneling through SSH probably keeps them from figuring out I'm tethering (and I don't do it very often).