Active Topics

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I was very happy with my n800, I didn't get the n810 as it wasn't enough of a step up and then of course the rumours of the n900 began but it wasn't what I wanted

Both of the O2 shops in Cambridge (UK) have them on demo; it's a bit pricey as yet (off contract*), early adopter punishment applies, but I shall try and pop by to get some first impressions.

So, it might be somewhat sizeable but at least it's thin, so its jacket-pocket sized maybe or cargo-pants sized?

* If it was on Voda, and an on-contract price was not unreasonable, I might consider it but given O2's network is quite poor, I wouldn't sign up with them for even a year let alone two.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
I have my trusty man bag most of the time..
ah yes, those. i sometimes wonder when a bag becomes a "man bag".

or maybe i am just bored and feel like being a heckler.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
http://www.o2.co.uk/dellstreak?cm_mm...l+streak_exact

Its out in the UK now.

Keep an eye out for sonys qwerty version...

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...-news-1712.php

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-05 at 21:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I popped into Carphone Warehouse in the Old Kent Road on Saturday. They had a Streak in stock.

Basically I thought it was beautiful. It is no thicker than my iPhone. The screen is 5” so naturally it is going to seem big in relation to mobile phones, my impression was that it was about as small overall as a 5” device is ever going to be. There is very little top and bottom bezel and a narrow one each side for various buttons.

It is pocketable in the sense that an N800 is pocketable. And that was fine for me. This is exactly what I hoped that tablets would become. So kudos to Dell. I understand that Michael Dell has been using one himself for several months so we have the head of the company taking an active interest in its development.

Many people seem concerned over how we look to others when using it as a phone. Well that is their problem and not something that even enters my equation.

Would I have one? Definitely. I am held back by the fact that my iPhone contract has 13 months to run so carrying a double cost is inhibiting. Anyway the version of Android is only 1.6 and I am not going to spend money on an ‘old’ version of the os and my experience with these things tells me not to rely too much on the hope of upgrades and ongoing improvements. So each way I need to wait for a while.

However were I in the position of this time last year when I needed a new phone then I would have the Streak in an instant over the iPhone.

Certainly the deal of no deposit and a £35 per month Voice and Unlimited Data contract makes it close to irresistible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Its 220g in case that factors in for anyone.

I think £429 entry price is a relative bargain though, considering what I was happy to pay for my Touch Pro2.

Anyway the version of Android is only 1.6 and I am not going to spend money on an ‘old’ version of the os and my experience with these things tells me not to rely too much on the hope of upgrades and ongoing improvements. So each way I need to wait for a while.
Totally agree with this but most people will only learn the hard way.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-06 at 12:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
i think dell is more likely to provide updates then the rest, as they are clearly interested in getting it out there given their willingness to sell it unlocked.

Its 220g in case that factors in for anyone.
Correct but then the N800 is 206g so the Streak is only 14g i.e. a letter (incl envelope), heavier. Which I think is remarkable all things considered.

I think £429 entry price is a relative bargain though
I see it that way too. I am close to being tempted to buy one for cash and use my iPhone SIM when needs be.

i think dell is more likely to provide updates then the rest,
I agree with that but then I gave nokia the benefit of the doubt once.

they are clearly interested in getting it out there given their willingness to sell it unlocked.
Yes Dell are serious, they also have 7" and 10" versions in the pipeline. So I feel I am being unduly cynical in doubting that Froyo 2.2 may not happen. I think I need to give myself reasons to keep my credit card locked away.

My own experience with Dell and it's high end products (XPS M2010) is excellent.

the major problem so far with updates have been the growing storage issue. Thats what have bitten the G1 and other early phones.

then comes the issue of some phones being carrier ordered, more or less (motorola droid being basically ordered by verizon for instance, but motorola being smart enough to also make a UMTS version, milestone).

then there is HTC, and thats a company i suspect prefers to release new hardware rather then update old. Especially stuff more or less custom made for specific third parties.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the link, the review nailed the dimensions as reaching the "pocketable size limit". It fits jeans pockets too.

For comarison here are some photos next to an iPhone
http://www.engadget.com/photos/dell-...ds-on/#2699147

"the red version's coming in two weeks' time"

"Rumor has it that O2's already road-testing a 2.x upgrade for next month, so let's keep our fingers crossed there'll be some Froyo in that cupboard."

If that happens I am in trouble. I wonder what I would get for a year old 3GS?

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?